speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think that's exactly what you want. You want the phases matched, ("delay"), you want the volumes matched, ("level"), and you want the combined volume to match your other speakers so at your seat you hear ONE bass at the proper level. Right?

Without dual SubEQ, you can possibly level match manually, but I'm not sure you can do anything about phase if your subs are not equidistant from your seat. Right?

Phil, I also have the X4000. I think its SubEQ has been very helpful, especially since I have 2 different brand subs, one in front and one in back, and they are not an equal distance from my seat. I have rerun Audyssey multiple times without doing a "factory reset". Simply plug in the Audyssey microphone and it'll start.
Okay I will give it another go. Hopefully, it won't storm here like it has been doing lately. Lots of thunder and lightening. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I press power, info, and back buttons at the same time. If not, it will let me run Audyssey but does not allow me to level match my subs.
Phil
Phil, I also have the X4000. I think its SubEQ has been very helpful, especially since I have 2 different brand subs, one in front and one in back, and they are not an equal distance from my seat. I have rerun Audyssey multiple times without doing a "factory reset". Simply plug in the Audyssey microphone and it'll start.
Hello berbu, Phil has to do a processor reset before he can use SubEQHT to level/phase match. That seems a little ridiculous and for me that would be a real pain. Do you have to do that too with your X4000?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hello berbu, Phil has to do a processor reset before he can use SubEQHT to level/phase match. That seems a little ridiculous and for me that would be a real pain. Do you have to do that too with your X4000?
The other day when I reran Audyssey it would not allow me to first level match my subs. So, I then did a total reset. After doing so, it then allowed me to do a level match. Will do this again this weekend sometime. Maybe even tomorrow. Too much going on right now to do so. Just got back from eating some Prime Rib @Golden Corral! Need I say it was so delicious?

Cheers,

Phil

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
No, I don't. When I run Audyssey, it "levels" each speaker one-by-one, including each sub. Then it does a combined sub total match. I can also go into a manual speaker "leveling" mode that shows the +/- dB setting of each speaker & sub, plays the pink noise, and lets me change any one I want.

As many times as I've changed speakers, changed positions, added and changed subs, I've never had to do a processor reset to do any kind of room EQ, including Audyssey.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
No, I don't. When I run Audyssey, it "levels" each speaker one-by-one, including each sub. Then it does a combined sub total match. I can also go into a manual speaker "leveling" mode that shows the +/- dB setting of each speaker & sub, plays the pink noise, and lets me change any one I want.

As many times as I've changed speakers, changed positions, added and changed subs, I've never had to do a processor reset to do any kind of room EQ, including Audyssey.
The other day when I reran Audyssey it would not let me level match my S1500's. I will try again this afternoon or tomorrow. Hopefully, it won't storm here like it has all week long. Lots of thunder and lightening. Let me giver her another go and I will get back to you all. Maybe i did something wrong...LOL!!! Sure wouldn't be the first time.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
UPDATE!

Okay folks I ran Audyssey again today several times. Did NOT have to do a total reset either. Right off the bat it told me my subs were too loud and turn them down. It did NOT do that the last time I ran Audyssey. But, before I ran Audyssey I spent a lot of time getting everything symmetrical first. To be honest, getting things symmetrical on both sides sure was an awful lot of work. It is very difficult getting everything measured precisely the same on each side. However, I have managed to do it. Good Lord I am really tired....LOL!!!!

Have taken the coffee table completely out of the room, as well as, all of the candy bars/chips, and etc. Measured everything precisely for complete balance which also helped my OCD. Then, I started running Audyssey. Honestly, the results are mixed. The subs are still NOT to my liking. Similarly, the 530's now sound way too bright/aggressive. Going to take a couple stabs at it again tomorrow. Just worn out and it is a bit too late. No need to disturb my neighbors. Took some pics and will go over the results tomorrow. Also, plan to post my pics.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
UPDATE!

Okay folks I ran Audyssey again today several times. Did NOT have to do a total reset either. Right off the bat it told me my subs were too loud and turn them down. It did NOT do that the last time I ran Audyssey. But, before I ran Audyssey I spent a lot of time getting everything symmetrical first. To be honest, getting things symmetrical on both sides sure was an awful lot of work. It is very difficult getting everything measured precisely the same on each side. However, I have managed to do it. Good Lord I am really tired....LOL!!!!

Have taken the coffee table completely out of the room, as well as, all of the candy bars/chips, and etc. Measured everything precisely for complete balance which also helped my OCD. Then, I started running Audyssey. Honestly, the results are mixed. The subs are still NOT to my liking. Similarly, the 530's now sound way too bright/aggressive. Going to take a couple stabs at it again tomorrow. Just worn out and it is a bit too late. No need to disturb my neighbors. Took some pics and will go over the results tomorrow. Also, plan to post my pics.

Cheers,

Phil
That's most likely because you prefer hotter bass that makes things relatively warmer. I would just trust the results but bump up the sub level (in the AVR) by 3 to 6 dB and start enjoying the music. Also, unless your room is really small and well damped, you should not use Audyssey flat because that will also contribute to making things "bright", stick with Audyssey, or bypass, but not flat.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
That's most likely because you prefer hotter bass that makes things relatively warmer. I would just trust the results but bump up the sub level (in the AVR) by 3 to 6 dB and start enjoying the music.
Ditto! Remember, Audyssey cannot be expected to yield the setup that is most pleasing to you. It will yield a balanced setup, giving you maximum flexibility to tweak, (if done right).

So when Audyssey is done, and it sets your subs near "0", tweak away and enjoy!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Is your room also symmetrical?
No my room is not symmetrical. The front wall is 15' long and the back wall is 12' long. There were no dramatic changes. Just made my placements a little more precise on each side of my setup. As a result, things look to be more balanced. I never knew getting things more precisely equidistant was so much work....LOL!!!! Still tired from it all....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That's most likely because you prefer hotter bass that makes things relatively warmer. I would just trust the results but bump up the sub level (in the AVR) by 3 to 6 dB and start enjoying the music. Also, unless your room is really small and well damped, you should not use Audyssey flat because that will also contribute to making things "bright", stick with Audyssey, or bypass, but not flat.
Sounds like a plan Peng. But, how do I know if it is set to "Flat" or not? The 530's sounded very bright so I lowered the levels just a bit. That helped a lot. Thought that by taking the coffee table out of my room with all of that candy may have been a reason, no?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Ditto! Remember, Audyssey cannot be expected to yield the setup that is most pleasing to you. It will yield a balanced setup, giving you maximum flexibility to tweak, (if done right).

So when Audyssey is done, and it sets your subs near "0", tweak away and enjoy!
Thanks herbu. YOU and Peng have been of such great help. I think that it is getting there slowly but surely. One thing is for certain, I am sure getting better at running Audyssey.........LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No my room is not symmetrical. The front wall is 15' long and the back wall is 12' long. There were no dramatic changes. Just made my placements a little more precise on each side of my setup. As a result, things look to be more balanced. I never knew getting things more precisely equidistant was so much work....LOL!!!! Still tired from it all....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
I was just wondering about how the symmetric arrangement of gear might relate to the room itself and how your Audyssey results might not necessarily be "symmetric" due to your room's influence.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was just wondering about how the symmetric arrangement of gear might relate to the room itself and how your Audyssey results might not necessarily be "symmetric" due to your room's influence.
Right. I did not move things around just got them a little more precise relative to each side. The ONLY thing I moved was the coffee table and/or the candy bars completely out of the room per your recommendation. Both Zieg and Afterlife mentioned that the candy bars were interfering in the dispersion of my 520c. So, I eliminated the issue altogether. At that point, I did not rerun Audyssey and liked how it sounded. After running Audyssey several times yesterday the 530's are way too bright and aggressive. Had to lower the levels a bit on them. Now, the 530's sound much better. I guess it is looking like I am really a basshead......LOL!!! Guess, I like my bass.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
But, how do I know if it is set to "Flat" or not? The 530's sounded very bright so I lowered the levels just a bit. That helped a lot. Thought that by taking the coffee table out of my room with all of that candy may have been a reason, no?

Cheers,

Phil
Download the manual and turn to page 156.:D To save you time, I took a snapshot for you.

upload_2016-7-18_15-33-16.png

Your table with the candy mountain most likely would have affected the tonal balance. Since you've moved them out and re-ran Audyssey already, you should be fine now. Audyssey is actually the default selection. You can also try Byp.L/R to see if you like it better. If the 530 remains bright then I guess they are, at least in your room. Instead of lowering their level, it is better to increase the sub level otherwise you will upset the balance between the center and the surrounds.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Download the manual and turn to page 156.:D To save you time, I took a snapshot for you.

View attachment 18798

Your table with the candy mountain most likely would have affected the tonal balance. Since you've moved them out and re-ran Audyssey already, you should be fine now. Audyssey is actually the default selection. You can also try Byp.L/R to see if you like it better. If the 530 remains bright then I guess they are, at least in your room. Instead of lowering their level, it is better to increase the sub level otherwise you will upset the balance between the center and the surrounds.
Actually Peng, I was hoping to run Audyssey again, but it has thundered off and on all day here. It is doing that right now as we speak. Anyways, I will run it again and see how it sounds. If it is still too bright, then I will try to Bypass the L/R and go from there. Getting better at running Audyssey......as practice makes perfect. ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually Peng, I was hoping to run Audyssey again, but it has thundered off and on all day here. It is doing that right now as we speak. Anyways, I will run it again and see how it sounds. If it is still too bright, then I will try to Bypass the L/R and go from there. Getting better at running Audyssey......as practice makes perfect. ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil
Does your avr have the Audyssey Bypass L/R as an option along with Audyssey/Audyssey Flat? The way you word it....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Getting better at running Audyssey......as practice makes perfect. ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil
By the time you are done you should be ready to write a book, at least something like Audyssey for Dummies!! If you write to Dr. Chris Kyriakakis and tell him about how many times you have run/test their product, you may get a fun job or even get a medal.:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Does your avr have the Audyssey Bypass L/R as an option along with Audyssey/Audyssey Flat? The way you word it....
Yeah it does have the L/R by-pass options, as well as, Flat. Hope to mess with it more today. Apartment Manger Supervisor was here all day yesterday. No need to get evicted....LOL!!! Hopefully, i can get things sounding even better.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
By the time you are done you should be ready to write a book, at least something like Audyssey for Dummies!! If you write to Dr. Chris Kyriakakis and tell him about how many times you have run/test their product, you may get a fun job or even get a medal.:D
That is so true. Right now i think that I could do it in my sleep sleep-walking.....LOL!!!! No, hope to mess around with it more today. Couldn't yesterday as Apartment Manger Supervisor was here all day. Plus, we have had a lot of thunder and lightening all week. Hopefully, I can get er done today....LOL!!!!1

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis