afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you like the way it sounds don't re-run. Glad you're keeping the C. ;)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you like the way it sounds don't re-run. Glad you're keeping the C. ;)
Joe, it really does sound good. Much better than yesterday. Moving the candy bars and getting my tv off of the 520c has made all of the difference. Angling up the 520c to ear level also helps a lot. Thanks to both you and Zieg for bringing that to my attention. Both the 530's and /or the 520c are keepers. Making some progress!

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yep I knew you would. Just don't look at any speakers to derail you. JBL made a winner. Maybe one day I can hear them at a store. My small NXG center is amazing with dialog and I tried a bunch of centers with big names. If you like action movies then get The Raid: Redemption. I saw it this past weekend and boy was it great. I have the sequel as well. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yep I knew you would. Just don't look at any speakers to derail you. JBL made a winner. Maybe one day I can hear them at a store. My small NXG center is amazing with dialog and I tried a bunch of centers with big names. If you like action movies then get The Raid: Redemption. I saw it this past weekend and boy was it great. I have the sequel as well. :)
Joe, I do hope that you get to hear the 530's one day. They really are that good. I agree in that JBL albeit Mr. Timbers made a winner. Will be sure to look into The Raid and the sequel! Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I like to see them closer to 0, even -6 isn't too bad. So I would do it even just for fun. There won't be audible SQ difference, it is a psychologic thing to me but that's just me.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I like to see them closer to 0, even -6 isn't too bad. So I would do it even just for fun. There won't be audible SQ difference, it is a psychologic thing to me but that's just me.
Yeah me too Peng. But, got things sounding very good so no need to rerun right now. Appreciate all of your help Peng. YOU have been a BIG help!

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah me too Peng. But, got things sounding very good so no need to rerun right now. Appreciate all of your help Peng. YOU have been a BIG help!

Cheers,

Phil
I understand, but knowing you, there will be another opportunity:D.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, I noticed the sub setting. But, I bumped it to -5 db. That may be just a little much.
Please forgive me if I'm being redundant, but I'm not convinced you're clear. When you say you, "bumped it to -5dB", it sounds like you're talking about the volume adjustment in your AVR. I don't think that's what lovinthehd meant.

You have 2 subwoofer volume controls... one on back of the sub and one in the AVR. When you run Audyssey it tries to set the level of each speaker, including subs, so they MATCH the levels of each other at your seat. When Audyssey sets any speaker at -12dB it is saying, "This speaker is WAY too loud relative to your other speakers. I turned it down as much as I could, (which is -12dB), but can't tell you if that was enough to balance it or not... it's just as much as I can do."

If this ever happens with one of your regular speakers, something's wrong. You have no way outside of your AVR to adjust the volume of regular speakers. But it's different for subs. Your subs DO have a volume control on back of the sub. Your goal is to set the control knob ON THE SUB so that Audyssey sets the sub volume at "0dB", or very close.

That means "balanced" volume is "0dB" in your AVR, and that means with your AVR settings you can adjust your sub volume a full 12dB up, and 12dB down. You have maximum flexibility and range with your AVR controls.

With Audyssey setting your sub volume at -12dB, you can increase the volume 24dB in your AVR, (from -12dB to +12dB), but you cannot decrease the volume any. You are starting at one extreme limit of your AVR controls. It is better to start in the middle so you have maximum flexibility both up and down.

DO NOT worry if the knob on your sub is at 9:00, 10:00, 12:00, etc. It doesn't matter. Audyssey is LISTENING to the volume AT YOUR SEAT, and telling you what it is. Perhaps your room and positions present a null... perhaps a peak. Audyssey will tell you. That's what it's for.

My suggestion: Run Audyssey. If it sets your sub at "-12dB", turn the volume/gain knob on your sub DOWN, and run Audyssey again. If it now sets your sub at "-7dB", turn the knob on your sub DOWN, and run Audyssey again. Repeat until Audyssey sets your subs AT OR VERY NEAR "0dB".

Now you can adjust the sub volume in your AVR up 12dB to "+12dB", and down 12dB to "-12dB". You have maximum control and flexibility. Now adjust them to suit your preference.

Again, please forgive me if I'm plowing old ground.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Please forgive me if I'm being redundant, but I'm not convinced you're clear. When you say you, "bumped it to -5dB", it sounds like you're talking about the volume adjustment in your AVR. I don't think that's what lovinthehd meant.

You have 2 subwoofer volume controls... one on back of the sub and one in the AVR. When you run Audyssey it tries to set the level of each speaker, including subs, so they MATCH the levels of each other at your seat. When Audyssey sets any speaker at -12dB it is saying, "This speaker is WAY too loud relative to your other speakers. I turned it down as much as I could, (which is -12dB), but can't tell you if that was enough to balance it or not... it's just as much as I can do."

If this ever happens with one of your regular speakers, something's wrong. You have no way outside of your AVR to adjust the volume of regular speakers. But it's different for subs. Your subs DO have a volume control on back of the sub. Your goal is to set the control knob ON THE SUB so that Audyssey sets the sub volume at "0dB", or very close.

That means "balanced" volume is "0dB" in your AVR, and that means with your AVR settings you can adjust your sub volume a full 12dB up, and 12dB down. You have maximum flexibility and range with your AVR controls.

With Audyssey setting your sub volume at -12dB, you can increase the volume 24dB in your AVR, (from -12dB to +12dB), but you cannot decrease the volume any. You are starting at one extreme limit of your AVR controls. It is better to start in the middle so you have maximum flexibility both up and down.

DO NOT worry if the knob on your sub is at 9:00, 10:00, 12:00, etc. It doesn't matter. Audyssey is LISTENING to the volume AT YOUR SEAT, and telling you what it is. Perhaps your room and positions present a null... perhaps a peak. Audyssey will tell you. That's what it's for.

My suggestion: Run Audyssey. If it sets your sub at "-12dB", turn the volume/gain knob on your sub DOWN, and run Audyssey again. If it now sets your sub at "-7dB", turn the knob on your sub DOWN, and run Audyssey again. Repeat until Audyssey sets your subs AT OR VERY NEAR "0dB".

Now you can adjust the sub volume in your AVR up 12dB to "+12dB", and down 12dB to "-12dB". You have maximum control and flexibility. Now adjust them to suit your preference.

Again, please forgive me if I'm plowing old ground.
Thanks herbu. YOU pretty much summed it upon what several members have been trying to tell me. So, I will rerun Audyssey soon. Been very busy moving some things around and built me a small mini stand to sit my TV on. That way, my center will NOT be blocking my view.

Keep in mind that I am by no means a carpenter. No even close. But, it did NOT turn out too bad at all if I do say so myself. I also have my center speaker aiming higher towards ear level. Lowe's had some wedge shaped door stoppers that were quite large in size. They work quite well.

Will rerun Audyssey again and do exactly as advised. Hopefully, it will all turn out great. Thanks for this informative post! Thanks to everyone here that has offered their help. As always, it is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Will rerun Audyssey again and do exactly as advised. Hopefully, it will all turn out great. Thanks for this informative post! Thanks to everyone here that has offered their help. As always, it is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil
Don't forget to start turning the sub volume down such that the screen display just turn green, i.e. barely touching 75 dB. If you start this low you should get very close to the targeted end result of "0". If it ended up -5, you are home free. You seem to prefer hotter bass anyway so there is little chance that you would ever want to adjust it further to the negatives.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay I can do that. I will have to do a total reset if I do it that way though. Is that really a good idea given that things sounds so much better now? If so, then I am all for it. Will get the tri-pod out and the mic. Let me know if you still want me to do it that way.

Cheers,

Phil
Well, like herbu said, -12 means a) you have no more adjustment on the down side, b) you really don't know if the sub's volume/gain was set too gain. In theory anything above -12 is fine, even -11, as long as you have no need to turn the sub level down by more than 1 dB. Practically, it depends, if the sub out is higher, signal/noise level could be better, but most unlikely no audible difference.

It sounds like you have Audyssey XT32 SubEQ, so which Denon do you have, I thought it was just a XT3100 that does not have XT32? Regardless, I do not recall I have to a total reset on mine.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, like herbu said, -12 means a) you have no more adjustment on the down side, b) you really don't know if the sub's volume/gain was set too gain. In theory anything above -12 is fine, even -11, as long as you have no need to turn the sub level down by more than 1 dB. Practically, it depends, if the sub out is higher, signal/noise level could be better, but most unlikely no audible difference.

It sounds like you have Audyssey XT32 SubEQ, so which Denon do you have, I thought it was just a XT3100 that does not have XT32? Regardless, I do not recall I have to a total reset on mine.
Peng, I have a Denon X4000W which does have XT32 w/Sub EQ. It can EQ both subs independently. Will rerun Audyssey later this afternoon if it stops thundering. We have had a lot of storms and rain all week long. Thanks to both you and herbu for the detailed explanation. Alex (Fuzz) has also been a great help. YOU guys rock!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Peng, I have a Denon X4000W which does have XT32 w/Sub EQ. It can EQ both subs independently. Will rerun Audyssey later this afternoon if it stops thundering. We have had a lot of storms and rain all week long. Thanks to both you and herbu for the detailed explanation. Alex (Fuzz) has also been a great help. YOU guys rock!

Cheers,

Phil
Actually all SubEQ allows is separate delay/level setting for your two subs, XT32 still eq's the subs together.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Actually all SubEQ allows is separate delay/level setting for your two subs, XT32 still eq's the subs together.
Yeah, wished it did EQ independently. But, it still does a good job. Thanks for the clarification/info.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, wished it did EQ independently. But, it still does a good job. Thanks for the clarification/info.

Cheers,

Phil
Not really, Dr. Chris Kyriakakis did explain why it has to be EQ'ed together in order to get the flattest response. The link below just tell you how it works, but the "why" part was found elsewhere, could be in one of his FAQ but I don't have time to locate it for you now. I have definitely read about it though. You can do a Google search yourself, or lovinthehd may be able to explain that to you.

http://www.audyssey.com/news/audyssey-multiple-subwoofer-eq-technology-now-avrs

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not really, Dr. Chris Kyriakakis did explain why it has to be EQ'ed together in order to get the flattest response. The link below just tell you how it works, but the "why" part was found elsewhere, could be in one of his FAQ but I don't have time to locate it for you now. I have definitely read about it though. You can do a Google search yourself, or lovinthehd may be able to explain that to you.

http://www.audyssey.com/news/audyssey-multiple-subwoofer-eq-technology-now-avrs
Thanks Peng for the link. It is very straight forward and to the point. Learn something new every single day!

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay I can do that. I will have to do a total reset if I do it that way though. Is that really a good idea given that things sounds so much better now? If so, then I am all for it. Will get the tri-pod out and the mic. Let me know if you still want me to do it that way.

Cheers,

Phil
When you said total reset did you mean processor reset (manual calls it Resetting factory settings) by pressing power, info and back buttons simultaneously? You should not have to do that but you do have to start and finish the whole Audyssey set up process. If you do have to do a factory settings reset then you should contact Denon tech support about it.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I think that's exactly what you want. You want the phases matched, ("delay"), you want the volumes matched, ("level"), and you want the combined volume to match your other speakers so at your seat you hear ONE bass at the proper level. Right?

Without dual SubEQ, you can possibly level match manually, but I'm not sure you can do anything about phase if your subs are not equidistant from your seat. Right?

Phil, I also have the X4000. I think its SubEQ has been very helpful, especially since I have 2 different brand subs, one in front and one in back, and they are not an equal distance from my seat. I have rerun Audyssey multiple times without doing a "factory reset". Simply plug in the Audyssey microphone and it'll start.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
When you said total reset did you mean processor reset (manual calls it Resetting factory settings) by pressing power, info and back buttons simultaneously? You should not have to do that but you do have to start and finish the whole Audyssey set up process. If you do have to do a factory settings reset then you should contact Denon tech support about it.
Yeah, I press power, info, and back buttons at the same time. If not, it will let me run Audyssey but does not allow me to level match my subs. Could not rerun Audyssey yesterday as it stormed here off and on. Lots of thunder. Will try to get it down today. Will try again w/o a total reset and see what happens.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis