Audyssey Multi EQ X or Dirac live for 11 channel system?

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

i have a 7.1.4 setup in a very small room and mainly care about immersion through soundstaging and imaging while playing games. although this would be my first calibration, i dont mind learning whatever is necessary to get the most out of each software, so i really just want the best result, not the most convenient. what would you choose and why?

i appreciate any replies!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have an appropriate Denon or Marantz avr to have both choices I assume? How much time do you want to spend measuring and tweaking? Do you have a measurement mic/REW to check results? Soundstage and imaging aren't what either do particularly, altho those things might be affected a bit.

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
I habe an denon x3800h so access to both. I don’t mind how long it takes. I am willing to put in whatever effort for the best results.

right now I only have the standard audyssey mic which came with the avr. Do the software solutions differ in mic requirement? Can you use one mic for REW and the software or would I need two mics for either Dirac or multi eq?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Best to just get a decent measurement mic separately from Audyssey setup mic as well as learning to use REW (Room EQWizard) freeware. Something like the miniDSP Umik-1 or 2 or the Dayton UMM-6; altho I believe Dirac recommends the Umik-1 particularly. Haven't been following MultEQ-X, at first think only option was your regular Audyssey mic but now have a specially calibrated mic (similar to the one that came with your avr but different model), the ACM1-X....not sure if the software accommodates other measurement mic calibration files yet.

I'd suggest you start with getting familiar with regular Audyssey setup, perhaps just augment it at first with the $20 Editor app before delving into the MultEQ-X or Dirac options. I think your basic room/speaker setup will do the most for soundstaging/imaging issues, tho, not equalization. I'd also concentrate on eq of the sub-schroeder frequencies first (which you can do in the editor app).

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
Thank you I already watched your video, I will do a full calibration with it soon. Amazing work!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you don't want to pay $200 for Multi EQ-X there's always this.

No idea if it works as well as the PC version, but the PC version is very powerful from my experience.

I plan to eventually upgrade my 4800 to Dirac, but not until I play around with Audyssey quite a bit first. It worked very well on my 4300, so I expect good results.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis