1khpsupra

1khpsupra

Audioholic Intern
Sounds like you really liked yours hunnybunny2383. Tough decision though because of price delta. If I can get home before UPS today I hope I can say the same thing. I'm upgrading from a Kenwood 3080 that I paid 749 for, I'm guessing 5 years ago. It only allows for db inceases, and per ft adjustments.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Gene, any comparisons of the Audyssey system compared to the products from companies like TACT or DEQX. I use the TACT TCSMKII/ADC6 in my HT and the TACT RCS2.2x in my 2 channel rig. I have thought about the DEQX for its extremely powerfull crossover tools.

In any case, I consider the TACT pieces the most significant pieces I have purchased. They completely changed the way I think about audio. IMO, room correction is a must have if done properly and should become a regular part of more affordable HT/audio gear. I think most people have not been exposed to it and don't truly understand how important it is. Hopefully, that won't be the case for long.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Sleestack said:
Gene, any comparisons of the Audyssey system compared to the products from companies like TACT or DEQX. I use the TACT TCSMKII/ADC6 in my HT and the TACT RCS2.2x in my 2 channel rig. I have thought about the DEQX for its extremely powerfull crossover tools.

In any case, I consider the TACT pieces the most significant pieces I have purchased. They completely changed the way I think about audio. IMO, room correction is a must have if done properly and should become a regular part of more affordable HT/audio gear. I think most people have not been exposed to it and don't truly understand how important it is. Hopefully, that won't be the case for long.
FYI, products such as the the Behringer DCX2496 allow advanced crossovers, room correction and even driver dynamic behavior correction, within an affordable price range... with a catch. The disadvantage is that one must know how to measure, analyze and configure the setup manually and have the appropriate measurement equipment and analysis software to accomplish this feat. This, along with some other minor set up quirks[such as reducing the signal voltage output to feed standard -10dbU inputs, for example] that must be addressed when using professional audio equipment in a consumer application seem to alienate most people from the idea when I suggest it. Unfortunately, automated/user-friendly equipment that works as intended is limited to the high end equipment such as you specified, at least for now.

-Chris

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
WmAx said:
FYI, products such as the the Behringer DCX2496 allow advanced crossovers, room correction and even driver dynamic behavior correction, within an affordable price range... with a catch. The disadvantage is that one must know how to measure, analyze and configure the setup manually and have the appropriate measurement equipment and analysis software to accomplish this feat. This, along with some other minor set up quirks[such as reducing the signal voltage output to feed standard -10dbU inputs, for example] that must be addressed when using professional audio equipment in a consumer application seem to alienate most people from the idea when I suggest it. Unfortunately, automated/user-friendly equipment that works as intended is limited to the high end equipment such as you specified, at least for now.

-Chris

That's a pretty big catch. I'm definitely not up for the learning curve involved with that, although it seems like it would make for a fun project from someone more technically inclined.

I truly do hope automated room correction becomes standard. It is a shame that it isn't already, as it seems to be a pretty big piece of the puzzle IMO.

1khpsupra

1khpsupra

Audioholic Intern
Hey hunnybunny2383

So far I'm very happy with the 4806 and my shorter than expected learning curve. Menu’s system sure makes it a lot easier to understand. I was worried that this would be a difficult to learn and use the 4806. Almost finished running cable rear surrounds. The auto eq was very easy to navigate and perform. It wants to setup my svs though at -12db every time. I was able to take a few pics comparing to my kenwood. Biggest improvement is the clarity of voices, which always seemed muffled on the kenwood. Even without the remote it was easy to navigate via the front panel.

Attachments

B

buckyg4

Junior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
What's wrong with having equipment that looks nice? For me at least, it is not enough to have a fabulous performing piece of equipment if it is ugly as sin, because at the end of the day, I still have to live with it. I still have to look at the thing. I'm not talking exotic here.

It just strikes me as odd that not a single person has commented on it's, let's face it, less than normal proportions.

Guess I'm just not a true Audioholic. :confused:

Regards
I agree with you. At 12" in height this receiver could not even fit in my rack, or at least there wouldn't be any air space to ventilate the system.

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
noah katz said:
The Denon 4805 will have the full version, MultEQ XT. Unverified info is that MSRP is $3K (hopefully street closer to $2K) and will have 130 Wpc.

There is a thread at AVS Forum where Chris K. of Audyssey gives lots of good info

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/AudysseyMultEQ2.php
The Denon 3806 has MultEq... its an option setting once you complete the speaker config. I'm using it as my default setting but have not had time to hear how it sounds without using MultEq

S

Sonnie Parker

Audioholic Intern
I just got my 3806 setup tonight and everything went very quick and smooth. Not really a lot different from the 3805... just flow through the menu.

It did not set my speaker sizes and crossovers correctly though and did nothing for my sub. Of course the BFD will easily handle the sub anyway.

Don't let the Behringer scare you Sleestack... it's not that bad... just get a 1124p and follow the BFD GUIDE. Step by step easy instructions. The BFD does a wonderful job on subs for 120 bucks.

R

rjh22

Enthusiast
Audyssey 3806 Bass Correction

Does anyone know if the 3806 with Audyssey has better bass correction than is noted was implemented on the 5805? I am waiting patiently for a review of the 3806 (which I assume is coming soon, since it's a follow-up to their most popular receiver ever), and I'm sure I'll learn something about it's operation that I did not pick up on the manual.

If Audioholics does do a review, can you all comment on the following observations that I have had with it?
1) What's with having to still use analog inputs for the second and third zones? I didn't see it in the manual, but after trying and trying digitally my dealer told me I had to go analog. Why is this? Is this true in general? Why can't a digital signal be directed to more than one zone?
2) When using HDMI, why can't I video-switch independent of audio source? That is, listen to music while casually watching a basketball game? This was a deal breaker for me from a video-switching standpoint; I go straight to my TV for satellite (component) and switch DVD through the HDMI in the receiver, which means I still have to toggle inputs on the TV to accomplish my goal. Is this a limitation of the circuit design in the receiver, or is a limitation of HDMI, and the fact that it carries digital video and audio (as if the two can't be split in separate paths)?

J

johnuustal

Enthusiast
direct comparison of multeq with lexicon

i thought i had seen somewhere a direct comparison review of multeq in the denon 5805 with the lexicon bass management in their controller (and i think they also looked at another receiver). anyone know where i can find this? any help surely would be appreciated.

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
It's my understanding that the stand alone version of the Audyssey multi EQ will be more sophisticated then the version that is in the flagship Denon Receiver and will MSRP at around $2500. My local dealer is ordering some today and has offered me first shot at a home demo, so sometime in the next month or so I should have some info on what it can do to an already treated and EQ'd room, should be interesting.

J

johnuustal

Enthusiast
Keep us updated, kingdaddy. I can't wait to hear what you think. I'm also curious how many subs you can use with that unit.

Thanks for sharing.

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
johnuustal said:
Keep us updated, kingdaddy. I can't wait to hear what you think. I'm also curious how many subs you can use with that unit.

Thanks for sharing.
I will shout from the rooftops if it can help my small (14X14.5) POS room, so no worries about feedback, and for that price it had better do a real treat for my ears or it will go back in a flash.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis