Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
At least they are honest about it, though they should not charge $20 until the product is fully debugged. Unfortunately unless there are enough people complain about it, nothing will happen soon..

Having said that, there is still hope that they will eventually release an update to make it usable. The good thing is, you are still getting decent results without the App.
Those are all averaged responses of 6 measurements. And thanks for confirming what I thought looked like very good frequency responses. :D

Is there enough of a difference between the measurements to be worth of note? I do see a difference between the 2 sub measurements, but the upper frequencies look very close to me. I don't see that +6db bump at 250 hz shown on the graph in manual eq/curve copy.

I really fell into the rabbit hole the last couple days! :confused: I'm gonna climb out, take a break and get back to enjoying my system again. phew

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are all averaged responses of 6 measurements. And thanks for confirming what I thought looked like very good frequency responses. :D

Is there enough of a difference between the measurements to be worth of note? I do see a difference between the 2 sub measurements, but the upper frequencies look very close to me. I don't see that +6db bump at 250 hz shown on the graph in manual eq/curve copy.

I really fell into the rabbit hole the last couple days! :confused: I'm gonna climb out, take a break and get back to enjoying my system again. phew
IMO as soon as you managed to lower that 250 hz bump you could have stopped playing around because you have already reached the point of diminishing returns.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
IMO as soon as you managed to lower that 250 hz bump you could have stopped playing around because you have already reached the point of diminishing returns.
Oh, I'm all done. I've done enough measuring to last me months. I'm not working right now Peng. Stuff like this keeps me busy and every time I do it I learn a little more and become more familiar with the software. I post my findings here in hopes of gaining a little better understanding in reading those charts better.

I don't know what to make of the 250 hz hump. The app applies it, the receiver doesn't. Did it show in my measurements? I don't see it. One should show the hump and the other should not. I'm just troubleshooting and want to see if the measurements reflect the apparent calibration curve differences between my avr and using the app. I didn't mess with the curve at all. I'm not trying to "fix" anything.

I don't see much of a difference in the rew measurements, but I definitely hear it. I much prefer the calibration curve my receiver applies over the app.

So basically I'm not going to be using any calibration curves generated by the app until something is fixed. That really pisses me off. I'm calling Marantz first thing tomorrow morning.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I saw your reply to my comment on Facebook Chris. Right on.
To be fair D&M/Sound United share the blame of course, if not the lion's share if they disregarded Audyssey's input as they do with setup routines.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
To be fair D&M/Sound United share the blame of course, if not the lion's share if they disregarded Audyssey's input as they do with setup routines.
Well I have enough data now to determine for sure that it's not applying the same calibration to the curve my receiver does. I already knew I preferred its calibration over the app.

What kinda sucks is I got used to the 3db bump higher that the app applied (then the 3db bump I gave it) to the sub channel. I'm back to the receiver calibration and I'm getting used to normal bass levels again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Normal bass levels....whassat mean? :)

You are measuring these differences, not just looking at the stupid graphs in the avr?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I have enough data now to determine for sure that it's not applying the same calibration to the curve my receiver does. I already knew I preferred its calibration over the app.

What kinda sucks is I got used to the 3db bump higher that the app applied (then the 3db bump I gave it) to the sub channel. I'm back to the receiver calibration and I'm getting used to normal bass levels again.
So the 3db bump you're talking about would be +6 over audyssey? If you like it who cares. +3 is just a number. I run mine at 80 vs 75. Being on concrete benefits from a little extra.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Normal bass levels....whassat mean? :)

You are measuring these differences, not just looking at the stupid graphs in the avr?
Yes. the subs were definitely boosted by 3 db with the app.
What's the purpose of those graphs? Seems like something they put effort into. Why would they even include them?
What is an Audyssey curve copy under manual eq?
Do the adjustments I make under manual eq carry over to Audyssey when I turn it back on?

I read through the manual, but when it comes to stuff like that (M-DAX, Audyssey, graphs in the menus, etc.) there's a lot of marketing fluff and "useless" graphs. What do I trust then?

My bass response is fine. My whole system sounds great. I'm not trying to fix something that's not broken or trying to get better sound. I'm not really "worried" about anything. It just makes me a little nuts when things don't jive and I'm getting conflicting information. I just want to decipher it all.
So the 3db bump you're talking about would be +6 over audyssey? If you like it who cares. +3 is just a number. I run mine at 80 vs 75. Being on concrete benefits from a little extra.
Yeah, +6db over Audyssey. I um... like it? Does that make me a full blown bassaholic? I was just a social bass kinda guy until I got around you guys. Now I'm doing it daily and outta control!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's the purpose of those graphs? Seems like something they put effort into. Why would they even include them?
Do the adjustments I make under manual eq carry over to Audyssey when I turn it back on?

I read through the manual, but when it comes to stuff like that (M-DAX, Audyssey, graphs in the menus, etc.) there's a lot of marketing fluff and "useless" graphs. What do I trust then?

My bass response is fine. My whole system sounds great. I'm not trying to fix something that's not broken or trying to get better sound. I'm not really "worried" about anything. It just makes me a little nuts when things don't jive and I'm getting conflicting information. I just want to decipher it all.

Yeah, +6db over Audyssey. I um... like it? Does that make me a full blown bassaholic? I was just a social bass kinda guy until I got around you guys. Now I'm doing it daily and outta control!
I just don't think the graphs are accurate and personally haven't had much luck copying over to graphic eq thing at all. I just don't use either really.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

It was those PB1k's. Gateway subs...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just received another update for the app. Dare I even start this up again..?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally got someone at Marantz and was able to explain the issue much better this time from the work I've done so far. He escalated me to level 2 and I'm waiting on another phone call. I did confirm that D&M are responsible for anything app editor related. There isn't much in the way of support from Audyssey.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally got a reply from Marantz:

"Response By Email (Chris) (07/25/2017 02:30 PM)
Hello Jason,

My name is Chris and I am a Tier II Tech Support Lead for D+M Customer Support. Your case has been escalated to me.

I can understand how frustrating this can be, I am a consumer as well and understand the importance of having a working product that you can enjoy.

There will be an update release to the App very soon (should be within the next week) to correct this issue.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again by replying to this email or calling us and referencing case #170721-000264.

Thank you for contacting D+M Customer Support. Have a great day!

Warm Regards,

Chris P.
Tier II Technical Support Lead
D+M Support North America"

My reply:

"Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Is this something that went unnoticed or am I the only one experiencing these issues? I'm assuming there are others if there's an update coming out. If the update fixes it, no problem. I'm a happy camper and at worst it was inconvenient.

I'll have my people send you my bill for troubleshooting, measuring everything and catching the problem. :p. Just kidding. Though I did put a lot of work into it to confirm there was an issue. One morning I took 60 individual measurements from different positions in my room between Audyssey and REW. I posted all my results in a thread I have on Audioholics. I'd love to go back there and report everything has been fixed.

Will it be an update to the app or my receiver? What was causing the glitch? Curious minds...

I guess there's an update coming out. Think it's because of the work I did and contacting Marantz? It kinda looks that way!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally got a reply from Marantz:

"Response By Email (Chris) (07/25/2017 02:30 PM)
Hello Jason,

My name is Chris and I am a Tier II Tech Support Lead for D+M Customer Support. Your case has been escalated to me.

I can understand how frustrating this can be, I am a consumer as well and understand the importance of having a working product that you can enjoy.

There will be an update release to the App very soon (should be within the next week) to correct this issue.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again by replying to this email or calling us and referencing case #170721-000264.

Thank you for contacting D+M Customer Support. Have a great day!

Warm Regards,

Chris P.

My reply:

"Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Is this something that went unnoticed or am I the only one experiencing these issues? I'm assuming there are others if there's an update coming out. If the update fixes it, no problem. I'm a happy camper and at worst it was inconvenient.

I'll have my people send you my bill for troubleshooting, measuring everything and catching the problem. :p. Just kidding. Though I did put a lot of work into it to confirm there was an issue. One morning I took 60 individual measurements from different positions in my room between Audyssey and REW. I posted all my results in a thread I have on Audioholics. I'd love to go back there and report everything has been fixed.

Will it be an update to the app or my receiver? What was causing the glitch? Curious minds...

I guess there's an update coming out. Think it's because of the work I did and contacting Marantz? It kinda looks that way!
If the update fixes this issue, I may get one of those $599 X3300W and try it on one of my 2 channel system. Oops, almost forgot, they don't ship to Canada..:(

Thanks for all the hard work again.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got another reply. Apparently I'm not a lone genius who found issues with the app. It is nice to know that what I detected was real. I'll keep an eye out for the update.

"Response By Email (Chris) (07/25/2017 04:15 PM)
Jason,
You're not the first or only person to report this to us, otherwise there wouldn't be an update coming out specifically to correct it, as you correctly surmised. It's not a widespread problem per se that I can see, but it's been reported enough to warrant testing of the issue in our labs, where the issue was confirmed, Engineering notified, and so on.
You are incredibly thorough in your testing and investigation. Perhaps you could use some work (haha).
Based on the information I have available, this should be corrected by an update to the app. As far as the cause of the hiccup, that's actually not something I've got any specific information on, but if I had to speculate it's likely a minor coding error.
Warm Regards,

Chris P.

N

noclue

Audioholic
To use the mic you need more than just the mic don't you the last time i looked at REW you needed a amp that was compatible with it and a few other things if you want to do more than your sub

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Got another reply. Apparently I'm not a lone genius who found issues with the app. It is nice to know that what I detected was real. I'll keep an eye out for the update.

"Response By Email (Chris) (07/25/2017 04:15 PM)
Jason,
You're not the first or only person to report this to us, otherwise there wouldn't be an update coming out specifically to correct it, as you correctly surmised. It's not a widespread problem per se that I can see, but it's been reported enough to warrant testing of the issue in our labs, where the issue was confirmed, Engineering notified, and so on.
You are incredibly thorough in your testing and investigation. Perhaps you could use some work (haha).
Based on the information I have available, this should be corrected by an update to the app. As far as the cause of the hiccup, that's actually not something I've got any specific information on, but if I had to speculate it's likely a minor coding error.
Warm Regards,

Chris P.
That's one thing I like about D&M, they always respond to questions, though for the most part if you want an accurate or meaningful answer to something that is not covered in the instruction manual or their FAQ section, you typically have to elevate the matter to level (tier) 2 and the whole process could take some time as you have found out in this case.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis