Audiophile Computer Speakers

R

rkline123

Enthusiast
Hi, I recently replaced broken Dell Altec Lansing 5.1 ADA995 speakers with klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers. The sound quality for mp3's was excellent with the Dell speakers, however I was very unsatisfied with the Klipsch promedia.

Can anyone suggest high quality audiophile computer speakers in the $200 - $500 price range?

I have read about Audioengine 5, Axiom Audiobyte v3 Computer Speakers, audioengine A2, and AVI ADM9. I'm not sure how high quality speakers will sound with mp3 since they reproduce sound accurately. Would these speakers sound alright with mp3? If not, any suggestions?

thanks

Last edited:
ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
I wonder if the Klipsch sound worse because they reveal the low quality of mp3 ?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Altec Lansing system was a fairly high end unit. It was one of their best systems from what I understand, I can see how the Klipsch may dissapoint in comparison.

You may also consider active studio monitors. Yamaha, Mackie, Behringer, KRK, and countless others manufacture a wide array of active monitors.

64met

64met

Audioholic
Hi, I recently replaced broken Dell Altec Lansing 5.1 ADA995 speakers with klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers. The sound quality for mp3's was excellent with the Dell speakers, however I was very unsatisfied with the Klipsch promedia.

Can anyone suggest high quality audiophile computer speakers in the $200 - $500 price range?

I have read about Audioengine 5, Axiom Audiobyte v3 Computer Speakers, audioengine A2, and AVI ADM9. I'm not sure how high quality speakers will sound with mp3 since they reproduce sound accurately. Would these speakers sound alright with mp3? If not, any suggestions?

thanks
I own the Audioengine A5's and LOVE them! For powered speakers they absolutely sound fantastic. FWIW: The guys over at Audioengine are super to deal with as well. If I am not mistaken I think they give you a 30 day free trial in home as well.

R

rkline123

Enthusiast
I own the Audioengine A5's and LOVE them! For powered speakers they absolutely sound fantastic. FWIW: The guys over at Audioengine are super to deal with as well. If I am not mistaken I think they give you a 30 day free trial in home as well.
Thanks for the comments!

How do mp3's sound on Audioengine A5's?

Is the bass loud?

R

rkline123

Enthusiast
I wonder if the Klipsch sound worse because they reveal the low quality of mp3 ?
I think the Dell spearkers were actually higher quality than the Promedia's. When playing mp3's will the sound be worse with better speakers than cheaper ones?

What's the best bet for high quality sound from mp3's?

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I suspect that part of the problem is the MP3s because the weakness of the Promedia 2.1 is the subwoofer. It can get muddy at high volumes but otherwise they aren't bad. A tad fatuiguing but hey they're Kiipsch. ;)

Have you tested them with CDs?

If you want to spend a bit more you can see my computer (Home Office) system in my signature.

R

rkline123

Enthusiast
The Altec Lansing system was a fairly high end unit. It was one of their best systems from what I understand, I can see how the Klipsch may dissapoint in comparison.

You may also consider active studio monitors. Yamaha, Mackie, Behringer, KRK, and countless others manufacture a wide array of active monitors.
How do studio monitors sound with lossy formats like 192 mp3's?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
i'd recommend getting a used avr and some bookshelf speakers. there are plenty of excellent powered monitor choices as well though.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I say

1) Replace all your Mp3s with FLACs! Come on... it's easy and free! There's very little pirated music out there that's not available in at least 320kbps MP3 if not flac. WHat isn't...well... wouldn't you rather buy it and hear it well than get a crappy rip and listen to it "perked up" for your ears?!

2) Consider this:

a quality computer sound system

-Detailed active speakers
-a subwoofer that's not necessarily needed to fill a room, but also doesn't give one-note bass
-a good sound card

tends to get pretty expensive.

My advice is to instead go with a headphone/amp setup if it's just for your personal use.

Headphones - ATH-M50s (closed) or Grado SR-125 (Open) or Sennheiser HD600 (Open)
DAC - AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC (Also serves as an amp)
Amp - Matrix M-Stage

Thing with me though is, I've got my computer hooked up to my HT Receiver via HDMI >_>

But yea, if you definitely need top notch speakers and sub, i say

1) If you can afford it, do go with the axioms. Yes they're pretty revealing and they'll make your crappy mp3s sound crappy... but they'll make your better FLACs and APEs and ALACs and even 320kbps CBRs blow you away... isn't that the point?
2) Don't go with the axiom sub though. I say go for a Dayton SUB-100 or something.. it's cheaper at least :p

R

rkline123

Enthusiast
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the Tapco S5 studio monitors?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Tapcos are Mackie's budget monitors, but they aren't poorly built or designed speakers.

Studio monitors are designed to be accurate, so poor quality recordings and MP3s may sound poor on them.

I would try listening to some CDs on those Klipsch and see if the problem the sound is the source material, or the speakers.;)

R

rkline123

Enthusiast
The Tapcos are Mackie's budget monitors, but they aren't poorly built or designed speakers.

Studio monitors are designed to be accurate, so poor quality recordings and MP3s may sound poor on them.

I would try listening to some CDs on those Klipsch and see if the problem the sound is the source material, or the speakers.;)
The Klipsch sound alright but not great with cd's, certainly not as good as the dell altec lansings. Unfortunately most of my music is 128kbps mp3.

I got an offer for used tapco s5's for around 230. Since most of my my music is 128kbps would you suggest looking for something else like the audioengine 5's?

R

rkline123

Enthusiast
basically I'm looking for speakers that won't expose the low fi quality of 128 or 195 mp3's. Speakers that will sound good with low qulity formats, any suggestions?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Um, 128 kbps mp3s will sound like poop on any decent speakers. Just get some cheap ones if you don't intend on cleaning up that music library and replacing it with better quality files :/

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
basically I'm looking for speakers that won't expose the low fi quality of 128 or 195 mp3's. Speakers that will sound good with low qulity formats, any suggestions?
KRK - Rokit G2 series is a good monitor for your situation. They to tend to be more forgiving compared to many of the other options.

My buddy is running the 6" version and his sound pretty damn good considering the low bit rate and questionable sources his music has come from. I'm leaning towards getting the 5" version myself.

R

rkline123

Enthusiast
do tge audiengine 5's sound good with low quality mp3's (128 and 195kbps)? /do

64met

64met

Audioholic
Thanks for the comments!

How do mp3's sound on Audioengine A5's?

Is the bass loud?
I can only comment on my set up and my music taste. My A5's are in my home office and honestly to my ears sound great. I listen to most of my music through my network shares and the bass sounds good. These spkrs are not intended to replace a sub, but for athetistics and IMHO excellent sound and flexibility you can't go wrong with the A'5. Looks like they still offer the 30 day trial.... http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5

Give them a test run in your situation and see how they work out for you.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Chances are, if you buy a speaker that doesn't reveal the flaws in your poor quality MP3s, its not a good speaker to begin with and won't be the best long term investment. I'd buy a decent entry level bookshelf or studio monitor and spend your money on quality CDs. I understand your distaste of the Klipsch though, I finally got rid of my Klipsch GMX 5.1 system and couldn't be happier with my Polk bookshelves.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
"Audiophile Computer Speakers" and low bit mp3's is kind of like "Jumbo Shrimp". What you seem to be asking for is bad speakers for bad rips.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis