How Audioholics Determines Bass Output Ratings in Subwoofers

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
5,000 ft3 is really not an amazingly big room. Our house is average overall size, but the great room is 20,000 ft3. :eek:

It is "T" shaped.
One line of the "T" is 20' x 40' x 20', (cathedral ceiling) = 16,000 ft3

The other line of the "T" is 20' x 20' x 10', (normal ceiling) = 4,000 ft3

So total great room is 20,000 ft3. It's a big room, but not awe inspiring.

;)

Guess that makes me a Bassaholic.
My mama would be so proud. :)

I, for one, appreciate the ratings. There was a time when I was the audio expert among my group. I used to install everybody's 8-track in their car. But now, I'll admit some of this is over my head. I appreciate knowing there is science and effort behind the ratings, and am thankful I don't have to do it. Thanks!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Audioholics Room Size Recommendation Article Updated

Guys;

I updated the Audioholics Room Size article with our new "Small", "Medium", "Large" and "Extreme" Bassaholic logos. We will soon be publishing results from our first rounds of tests. Stay tuned....

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Herbu wrote: "So total great room is 20,000 ft3. It's a big room, but not awe inspiring. Guess that makes me a Bassaholic."

Umm...No. Having a room that size does not make you a Bassaholic. Having a subwoofer that can fill that space with reference level sound - that makes you a Bassaholic!

Gene,
Really looking Fwd to seeing how this rating protocol takes shape with Audioholics reviews.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I love it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene View Post
Check out our Bassaholic Logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post

I want the bassaholic logo on a sign for my home theater !
If anyone seriously want's this logo to print, email me at: gds@audioholics.com and I will email you the EPS file just as long as you don't slap an Extreme logo on your Bose Acoustimas though :rolleyes:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think we need one more category - a special reward for clinically insane bassoholics

From Basspig home system
Great Scott!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Guys;

I updated the Audioholics Room Size article with our new "Small", "Medium", "Large" and "Extreme" Bassaholic logos. We will soon be publishing results from our first rounds of tests. Stay tuned....
This should stimulate some good sub conversations.:cool:

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Apartment dwellers need to get a special spl rating for their subs. Anything above 60 db = eviction...

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Who the hell has a room bigger than 1500 ft let alone 5000 ft??!
Our room is 6624 ft3 and that does not count the openings into adjoining rooms. Sound and Vision rated my sub at 97dB at 20Hz (less than 10% distortion) and 113dB from 25 to 63Hz (+/-3Hz). It is not a Genelec or an Epic but it did not cost 5 figures either. I doubt Gene will be able to get his hands on one but I would be tickled to see him test it. The RSW15 does not get much print space or respect but those who are fortunate enough to experience its capabilities in person are not disappointed.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Our room is 6624 ft3 and that does not count the openings into adjoining rooms. Sound and Vision rated my sub at 97dB at 20Hz (less than 10% distortion) and 113dB from 25 to 63Hz (+/-3Hz). It is not a Genelec or an Epic but it did not cost 5 figures either. I doubt Gene will be able to get his hands on one but I would be tickled to see him test it. The RSW15 does not get much print space or respect but those who are fortunate enough to experience its capabilities in person are not disappointed.
At what distance was that sub measured? Are those RMS or peak #s? What brand of sub is it? I may request a review sample if its a current model and have it shipped to Josh for testing.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I think AH giving this type of recommendation is really going to open up some eyes. How many of us have overkill vs. not enough??? Should be interesting.:)
I will second that strongbadf1. There is going to be some people crying foul, a nashing of teeth, and full on temper tantrums in the middle of the floor because there *** does not perform like they thought it did. I would love to see the deviation cut in half. That would really send the whole group off the deep end.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis