Audioholics Memberships - Do you want one?

Would you like to see Audioholics Membership Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'd chip in a few bucks a year for more messages. Then you could lock down the steam-vent for members only and make sales in the for sale forum members only.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'd chip in a few bucks a year for more messages.
Agreed.

Then you could lock down the steam-vent for members only and make sales in the for sale forum members only.
That would be very AVS and lame. Never take things away and ask people to pay for them. It makes people angry..and rightfully so. One should charge for new content that increases convenience, not something that keeps people out. No members only threads or any of that type of stuff.

workshops, webinars, and more messages would be well worth a few buck a month/year, IMO.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
A couple of things though:
1) there should be a Members Only section
2) in that section you should be forums to discuss whatever you want, how you want.
Personally, I think this is a really good idea. It's the exception to the exclusion rule i just posted. It costs audioholics every time I use the forum. This way, I'll pay to help keep audioholics funded but get to say whatever I want in return, within the "Poopfaces! Beware!!" thread, of course.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That would be very AVS and lame. Never take things away and ask people to pay for them. It makes people angry..and rightfully so. One should charge for new content that increases convenience, not something that keeps people out. No members only threads or any of that type of stuff.
The I don't have a problem with the for sale thread going under members only is that I can't see sending my money to anyone with less than a few hundred postings or a paid membership and 100 postings anyway.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
IMO, membership needs more tangible benefits. I don't plan on shopping at the e-store unless the discounts make it competitive with other online retailers, and I don't really have a use for PDF copies, uploading larger files, or an upgraded forum status (ok, maybe I would like this :D). None of those really grab my attention enough to warrant becoming a member, although I would be willing to just on the basis that the forum needs help financially (hopefully to expand offerings).

What about a private member only forum section? Exclusive access to some contests?
I agree with this. For the benefits mentioned, it wouldn't be worth money. With some or all of the above benefits it would be worth it to pay something. What was offered and how much would have to make sense though. Overall, I think adding a paid membership is a terrific idea. The amount and what you get for it has to be a bit a better though.

More PMs and uploading larger files is not a big deal to me. I still, however, would be interested in a membership only because the amount of info I've gotten here as been invaluable and has saved tons of money anyway.

A couple of things though:
1) there should be a Members Only section
2) in that section you should be forums to discuss whatever you want, how you want.

I'm all for supporting the board.
I'm not entirely sure that I'd pay for a members only section. Exclusivity for what purpose? So I can talk about stuff we're not supposed to talk about out in the regular board? I find many of the most interesting threads start with newbies or people with low post counts. Not really the demographic most likely to pay money to simply get a title and access an exclusive section that gives them what exactly?

workshops, webinars, and more messages would be well worth a few buck a month/year, IMO.
I really like these these ideas. Getting something that is a bit more instantaneously interactive would be a very cool idea. Live chats with speaker designers and other representatives from the major companies would be something else I'd be extremely interested in. The exclusive contests and some of the other suggestions are also very interesting and are worth money to me at least.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'm not entirely sure that I'd pay for a members only section. Exclusivity for what purpose? So I can talk about stuff we're not supposed to talk about out in the regular board? I find many of the most interesting threads start with newbies or people with low post counts. Not really the demographic most likely to pay money to simply get a title and access an exclusive section that gives them what exactly?
That is a very good point.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely would be interested in that. Does it come with an AH bumper sticker? :D

What fee are you guys looking at?

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey guys, let me offer a couple ideas courtesy of another forum I frequent that has over half a million users. The have an ASM club. Annual Supporting Members get access to special perks.

1. Access to member's only giveaway contests. Contests in the low dollar range are open to all, but only ASMs can enter contests for very high dollar items.

2. Ability to post larger threads and sticky them to the top in the For Sale section.

3. Higher message capacity.

4. No post delay.

There's a couple ideas on what I've seen go very successfully on that forum.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Hey guys, let me offer a couple ideas courtesy of another forum I frequent that has over half a million users. The have an ASM club. Annual Supporting Members get access to special perks.

1. Access to member's only giveaway contests. Contests in the low dollar range are open to all, but only ASMs can enter contests for very high dollar items.

2. Ability to post larger threads and sticky them to the top in the For Sale section.

3. Higher message capacity.

4. No post delay.

There's a couple ideas on what I've seen go very successfully on that forum.
^THIS^

Plus the option to buy the reviewed gear at a discount or to bid on the items amongst ourselves as long as it could be done without any conflicts of interests.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing fellates my sense of elitism more than a (my) sandbox that bourgeois folks can't get into. Suckers!

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I skimmed through the thread.. some of the features on another site (not audio) that I was really active in had an "insider" group and some of the features I really enjoyed and paid for were an insider forum- exclusive to members only.. mostly off topic stuff but had a few really informative and techy threads... and also an opportunity to participate in reviews of items. Granted- golf clubs are easy to ship, but it was cool to participate in testing.

Either way- I'd gladly pay to make sure I didn't miss out on something other people here might have. How much does it cost to be a moderator? Administrator? :D

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
File sizes are not important to me as I use external hosting for my pretty pitchers

Title/status, I'm a total nerd but that does not matter much to me, but I can understand some wanting it.

Allocating the funds to provide a faster, more capable server, totally!

Providing a discount at the AH store. Yes please! But please think that through and not throw up any random number. A small 5-10% each time may appeal to some people, but I (and would think most) do not order small items several times a year. Each upgrade is a planned 'plunge' that can amount to hundreds if not thousands. Perhaps encourage our spending with some sort of annual Audioholics Upgrade. It seems several manufacturers are onboard with your ideas, surely your positive reviews of their equipment combined with an annual upgrade discount means everyone wins, the AH writers, the AH store, and of course US your readers!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd love an increased time to edit old posts. The ability to lock a DIY Project thread and the members gallery thread.

I love discussions on my things, but it makes it hard for new members to follow a build thread when half of it is humor. Having the ability to make a project thread where only I can post and edit would be nice.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I think you are looking at this from wrong point of view.
As Gene said, The main site provided and will keep providing free access to it's library of reviews and measurements.

Premium forum access and it's benefits are meant to support the site and will allow to review more products and have better tools while at it. The direct benefits you'll receive (aka few neat forum feats) are just gratitude for your support
Hmmm...
Well - I'd pay/donate then without those features. Just put me on a list of supporters and we're square. Oh - and I'd like to see (even) more criticism towards uber-expensive stuff that's not worth the money.

majorloser

majorloser

Can we charge members with over 25,000 post double price?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis