Audioholics Expertise Needed!

D

dannyk

Enthusiast
I desperately need advise on a sub... quite overwhelmed by all that's out there and I really respect the advice that's on this site. I am currently running a two channel system with the below equipment and need a sub. I want to increase the base for music and provide some "emotion" to my movies. I think the 804s speakers have wonderful mid and high range but are a bit weak on the bass. At some point I will probably (maybe?) expand to 5.1.

My budget for this sub is up to $1,700 but would like to keep it at or below $1,000.

All advice is appreciated - Thanks!

Outlaw 990 pre/pro
Rotel RB-1080 amp
NAD C542 CD player
Rotel RLC 1040 line conditioner
B&W 804s Speakers
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
46” Samsung 1080p LCD (forget model)
Denon Cassette player (forget model)
Pioneer 5-disc CD player (forget model)
Blue Jean Cables

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Is WAF and issue here...?

What size is your room...?

annunaki

annunaki

Are you looking for output, depth, accuracy, small size, etc.? Obviously you can't get it all in one package but you have to deceide what compromises you can live with and can't live with. I would state what you can't have or live with and find a solution that fits in those parameters left over. Room size will be very important here as well.

D

dannyk

Enthusiast
I am a rookie... is WAF wife accecptance factor? If so, no is the answer.
The room is ~ 22'x25' with a high ceiling of ~ 12' on the corners up to ~ 25 in the center.

D

dannyk

Enthusiast
Size doesn't matter, plenty of space to put it. I believe accuracy and depth would be the most important. The room is ~ 22'x25' with a high ceiling of ~ 12' on the corners up to ~ 25 in the center.
Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For $1K, probalby the HSU VTF-3 Mk3 HO with Turbo or $899 without Turbo. That is a big room, so you are going to need a capable sub. Next might be a SVS 20-39 Plus.

annunaki

annunaki

I would consider dual subs for that room as it is so huge. It is just over 10,000 cu.ft.!!!

A single sub will have to work very hard to fill up that space competently. I would look into the new Emotiva dual 12" setup as an option at your pricepoint.

Is a DIY kit an option for you at all?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It all depends on how much bass you are after...:D Yes the Plus/2 would be another great choice as they are phasing them out right now in favor of the Ultra (which costs more).

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Buy two of the SVS PB12-Plus in Oak or Maple for $1,499.:eek:
That is outstanding pricing for a pair of great subs. In a room that size, having two great subs like this gives you placement and control options that will produce an absolutely stunning effect.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Under $1k
Hsu VTF3-HO w/Turbo

Slightly over $1k
2x SVS 25-31PCi (output at the expense of a little accuracy)

~$1500
SVS PB13-Ultra

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I would consider dual subs for that room as it is so huge. It is just over 10,000 cu.ft.!!!

A single sub will have to work very hard to fill up that space competently.
My room is over 3X10 larger, and SVS recommended a single PB12-Plus/2. It does a excellent job. And it don't even break a sweat for fill that space. In fact I have plenty of headroom.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
A couple more suggestions...

2x Epik Calibers @ $699ea
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/CaliberOverv♦iew.html

or

2x Elemental Designs A5-350 @ $600ea(price includes shipping)
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=618

I have not heard either of these myself but they are getting good reviews. It really is a great time to be looking at subwoofers with the increasing competition in the $500-$2000 range.
Matt's got your back here... I was going to suggest 2 of the eD A5-350's as well... That is a freakin huge area.. roughly about 10,000 cu ft.
Spring for 2 - 15" drivers there and they should be able to fill that room for just in between your 2 budgets you listed..
I have 8200cuft with a SVS Plus/2 and Plus in my room, and they are not as articulate and do struggle at times...

annunaki is also correct that dual subs would be a better idea here, they will help out to smoot out the response in that gynormous room... :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I think that maybe my idea's of what bass should be might be a bit over indulgent then most avid users... I should probably stop making suggestions here..

And yes, In my size room... I find I could use a bit more then what these 2 subs can put out... I have bottomed them on many occasions, and found myself readjusting my volume on the subs, or master control..

I am calibrated a touch hot.. :eek:

annunaki

annunaki

I tend to be of similar taste to Warp. I like the sub 25hz spl to be as high or higher than the 30-80hz response. Once you have a room pressurize at 20hz and lower frequencies and you feel the air around you moving it is hard to go with anything less.

If a system is mainly for music, one could probably get by with a bit less depending upon one's taste.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I tend to be of similar taste to Warp. I like the sub 25hz spl to be as high or higher than the 30-80hz response. Once you have a room pressurize at 20hz and lower frequencies and you feel the air around you moving it is hard to go with anything less.

If a system is mainly for music, one could probably get by with a bit less depending upon one's taste.
I agree 100%.... My SVS subs are just on the brink of the pants flapping movement of air in my room... Its just too darn large..

If I push them hard enough they will give me that, but they are for sure on the edge of what they can do with prescision and control. Once I get to those levels they start to get sloppy...

Please let me be clear here though, these subs are monsterous and can really deliver but in a smaller room... If I had 2 Plus/2's in this room it would be different, but I have a Plus and a Plus/2, one cannot be perfectly equal with the other, I bought them for different rooms, the smaller for the 1700cuft bedroom, and the larger for the great room. The Plus when I get it in the bedroom will be really great...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe I dont understand the kind of bass you are talking about. My Servo seems like it does a decent job in my 8000 cubic foot room and I dont think I am pushing it hard at all; I sure have never bottomed it out. At times it seems that it should be tighter but I think that's the room. When I stuck a big panel behind it, it was pretty tight.
I agree 100%.... My SVS subs are just on the brink of the pants flapping movement of air in my room... Its just too darn large..

If I push them hard enough they will give me that, but they are for sure on the edge of what they can do with prescision and control. Once I get to those levels they start to get sloppy...

Please let me be clear here though, these subs are monsterous and can really deliver but in a smaller room... If I had 2 Plus/2's in this room it would be different, but I have a Plus and a Plus/2, one cannot be perfectly equal with the other, I bought them for different rooms, the smaller for the 1700cuft bedroom, and the larger for the great room. The Plus when I get it in the bedroom will be really great...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I would say 9 times out of 10, they are fine, and I have more then ample amounts of bass... Moderate to high listening levels... they are fantastic.

But as annunaki has also stated, in that 25hz and below, I am asking more from thos subs at extreme or ref. levels that they start to cough...

When I play music, this is totally a non issue... but for those movies that troll really low and I have them tuned to 16hz, playing at ref levels they just don't have enough... they rumble things in my house plenty, they shake and scare people that are not used to it, but I am really aware of their capabilities and for me its not enough... I want more...

More power, more control, cleaner deeper bass...

Remember that my room is open to many other areas of the house... stairs up to the bedrooms, open to the dining room, and to the kitchen.... It is not sealed. So maybe I should say my room is more like 20,000 cu ft. and they won't cut it...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis