audioholics.com and Pioneer: warranty problems

M

mikeblas

Audiophyte
In February of 2011, I bought a Pioneer Elite SC-37 surround receiver from audioholics.com. We're working on a remodel, and it took a while to get the cabinetry done -- but we finally managed to get the amplifier installed in June of 2011.

It worked great until November of 2011. It turned off while listening. Then, it wouldn't turn on; it would start, turn itself off, and flash the blue iPhone/iPod LED.

We took the amp to a local Pioneer-authorized repair center. They accepted a $75 deposit to diagnose the amplifier. We asked about warranty service and provided receipts and contact information from our audioholics.com purchase; we understand the purchase to be covered by a one-year warranty directly from audioholics.com.

We also contacted audioholics.com to put them in touch with the repair shop. On the phone, audioholics.com acknowledged the warranty and said they'd fax the necessary documentation to the repair shop to enable the repair. The shop kept the amp for two weeks before we called to find that they never heard from audioholics.com. We contacted audioholics.com by phone and they insisted they were in touch with the repair shop. The repair shop received nothing.

We haven't received any written response from audioholics.com. I've also tried contacting Pioneer and have received no response.

After three weeks at the repair shop, no work had been completed. I retrieved the amp (leaving behind my $75 deposit), bought a replacement board myself from the Pioneer parts department. I replaced the board and repaired the amplifier.

Does anyone have a reliable way to contact audioholics.com? I'm glad my amplifier is working again, but I'm disappointed to have spent $450 in parts, suffered a month of downtime, and had to do the repairs myself. Worse, I'm completely put off by audioholics.com's inability to work with the repair shop and honor their warranty.

M

mikeblas

Audiophyte
What is the best way to contact Audioholics.com for support? Everything I've tried has been ineffective.

M

mikeblas

Audiophyte
Yes, I have. The person we were in touch with by phone has stopped returning our messages. Email is ignored.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Ah. That sucks. I dunno what to tell you (maybe legal action?). The store doesn't really have much to do with the actual website or the forums from what I've seen during my time here.

Also, here's the AH Store Admin's userpage: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/members/ah-store-admin1.html

You can send private messages to him/them but I think you need at least 5 posts before PMs are enabled (not sure about this).

M

mikeblas

Audiophyte
Legal action would be an option, but that's mostly throwing good money after bad.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
From what I've seen on the consumerist, going to small claims court is fairly simple and cheap. I've never done it myself though so I can't confirm how simple it actually is.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I hope the AH HT Store gets in touch with the OP, it just seems like the right thing to do.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, definitely. I would be very upset if something like that happened to me. It would suck having to go to legal action :/

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That is crappy luck man. Having taken matters into your hands (to change the board), things have become complicated, since technically you voided the warranty. No idea if it has bearing on the outcome, but keep that in mind.

That said, send Gene a private message. While the management of the website and forum is different from that of the store, I'm sure he can get a word in.

Best of luck and hope things get fixed to your expectations (but, be reasonable :)).

A

AH Store Admin1

Banned
Hey mikeblas,

Sorry to hear about this situation. First and foremost, your purchase should have been covered under the manufacturer's warranty, since your trouble occurred within a year of your purchase. We also offered a 3-year extended warranty on this product. Our policy is superseded by the manufacturer's warranty, so within the first year they would be the first party responsible to cover any issues. If you were unable to get this covered under their warranty, and you are covered under ours, we will gladly take care of you.

Please send me a private message with your order info. We will get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I would like to chime in with having had great experience with the AH Store, and will be ordering from them again shortly. Their customer service helped me resolve a mistake I made while ordering, everything arrived perfectly!

I'm sorry to hear your Pioneer failed you. But the pile of literature it comes with explains PIONEER'S warranty. Its great that they are willing to help you, even if you do not have the extended warranty!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis