Audioholics Adds New Muscle: Hires Bestselling Fitness Author Hugo Rivera to Head Up Marketing

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The first 10 Ebooks are geared towards the beginner, intermediate AV Enthusiast. We will specialize as this grows. The potential is unlimited. 60% of our traffic from Google is new readers and we will be focusing primarily on that audience during the initial launch.
Gene how many of the new members stick around? Most of the time its "which subwoofer should I buy for under $11.80?" or "How do I get my remote control to do backflips and change the litter box?" they get their answers and are gone, if they even come back for the answer... There is only a handful of us that post regularly and answer the questions, I would think that if there was no one here to give advice and create the tag lines that people are searching for, there would be a lot less traffic... I have to admit, out of most of the av sites, we have the best advice, most on top of sales, new gear, and actually have heard it. People that come here and give bad advice seem to get weeded out pretty quickly... I love listening to music, if I could do it with out the gear, I would, but its really hard to get a band to follow you around and then the looks you get when you go into the library or a funeral are attrocious. So inturn I love the gear by association, if it didn't play music I can think of much more useful furniture than a pair of towers. SO I go around and listen to new stuff when I hear about it, as do a few of the guys in my family, If I am interested enough I will buy them, {just bought a pair of jbl 530's, not sure why, but hopefully that will be answered when they get here}...

Anyway, I think more people will visit the more regulars you get, and charging to be a regular seems to be a little "iffy", don't get me wrong, I love your articles, and get a lot of my gear ideas from them, but I think the google search traffic is from someone googling "best home theater receiver for $500", I can't count how many times people have told me they bought a certain piece of equipment because of Cnet, and I am not really impressed with what I read on there....

So here is what I would pay for.... Discounts {of course} being in the business you may be able to rig some member only coupon codes, access to new gear -your reviews of everything new comparisons charts of new and old models to take out the guess work out of the updates, gear shootouts with real data like blind tests between Ascend sierras, Philharmonitors, and wow1's, and free stuff {I won't be a member if I don't get a hat} :D.... I have been a member or forums that tried to charge before {hayabusa.org, 1911.something, ect} and it never really panned out, if new members visit to get information and then are asked to pay for it they will NOT, you end up getting some existing members that join just because, but thats about all I ever see happen... I know the reviews and articles take time and doing it for "free" must suck, but instead of charging to be a member just charge for the individual ebook. So if I don't need the info in that book I wont buy it but if there is another that I want access to I will....

Sorry for the long post and jumbled ideas its just how I think, all jumbled up... and please don't take it as I am trying to criticize what you are trying to do, you are in this business not me, I wouldn't expect you to come to my office and tell me how to run my businesses, my father tries all the time and it makes me want to drown him...

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So quantity... rather than quality Gene?
To offer my 2 cents: not exactly. An e-book targeting a beginner audience still needs to be well written and insightful to be worth anything (i.e. high quality). Such an e-book is also likely to reach a far broader audience than a 500 page novel on transmission line speakers. You have to keep in mind, most people really don't want to learn about this stuff in depth like we do. Most folks would just like some tips on how to build a nice system...and then enjoy their new theater.

itschris

itschris

So quantity... rather than quality Gene?
Can we at least let it launch before we all pile on and question and criticize the result? I'm willing to see what's what. And bottom line... if you don't find any value in what's being put out... you simply don't have to become a member.

Also... think about this... how many 1 posters come on here and ask, "What's the best receiver?" "What speaker should I get?" then never return to contribute or even discuss their question. Perhaps some of the guides will help them and bring them into the fold. Who knows. I'm probably wrong about that, but I like to think lofty ideas. Let's just give a chance.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Are you kidding me? The ebooks we are writing are very high quality. Our HDTV guide for example really explains what to look for in a Display and our Loudspeaker Buying Guide is full of excellent advice. We have put forth enormous efforts into this project and its a unique service NOT currently being offered by any other AV Magazine.

Sorry Gene, bad post from my side, of course I will have to look... before commenting
What I don't like though is that AH main focus is beginners

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry Gene, bad post from my side, of course I will have to look... before commenting
What I don't like though is that AH main focus is beginners
I agree. While I don't fault AH for targeting where the traffic is coming from/for, I think it would make more sense to have some balance. Rather than releasing a bunch of beginner articles and getting around to more technical articles later, why not release a more technical article for every X number if beginner/buying guide articles. While it's great to bring in more traffic, increase revenue, and all that you've got to take care of the guys that got you here and continue to keep the forum the great place it is.

As for the ebooks, I'm sure they'll be up the the excellent quality we've come to appreciate from AH. Which is one of the reasons more technical articles are yearned for.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
{just bought a pair of jbl 530's, not sure why, but hopefully that will be answered when they get here}...
Off topic, but I would love your take on the 530s. As a JBL owner, they were on my upgrade list, but got pulled with an increase in budget.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
While I don't fault AH for targeting where the traffic is coming from/for, I think it would make more sense to have some balance. Rather than releasing a bunch of beginner articles and getting around to more technical articles later, why not release a more technical article for every X number if beginner/buying guide articles. While it's great to bring in more traffic, increase revenue, and all that you've got to take care of the guys that got you here and continue to keep the forum the great place it is.
Yes, there needs to be some type of balance - I would be looking for more
to get me interested.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I think I can wait patiently for the more advanced books. I offer these words of encouragement, and that is to help new consumers feel empowered (perhaps why the fitness guru is the perfect choice?). These forums are not the ideal place, yet it makes it easy for the simple 'which product would you choose' questions. But how much better could things be if more Audiophyte's entered the market place with knowledge rather than opinions? Consumers vote with their dollars, give them the knowledge they need so that we can all benefit from well informed consumers that make poorly designed/performing/irrelevant electronics even less prevalent.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
These..... 'which product do I choose' questions are of course ridiculous, and serve no purpose other than to satisfy stupidity....

In any project, at least, any serious project, you do a stakeholder analysis where you want to know what everyone wants, what are the goals for each stakeholder, what must project meet in order to make the stakeholders happy.... without doing this properly, you will never get happy customers or stakeholders or whatever you call it.

When somebody asks..... what's the best [product] under $nnnnnn
it's impossible to answer and the reason a question like this exists is that someone is too lazy to actually first find out what is it he (Normally it's not she's asking these questions) really wants

So if someone try to answer these questions without there being a proper stakeholder analysis, I will call it extremely unserious

Same goes for Audio, HT ...... well anything :p
So a 'How-to' book, guides, what to buy ..... must of course take these things into account, if you ask me :D

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
In any project, at least, any serious project, you do a stakeholder analysis where you want to know what everyone wants, what are the goals for each stakeholder, what must project meet in order to make the stakeholders happy.... without doing this properly, you will never get happy customers or stakeholders or whatever you call it.

Same goes for Audio, HT ...... well anything :p
So a 'How-to' book, guides, what to buy ..... must of course take these things into account, if you ask me :D
By in large, that pretty much sums up the "How To Buy X" guides. Some specific items are mentioned as examples of course, but its more about analyzing needs and learning what separates the good from the mediocre than saying "X is the best speaker for $500, Y is the best for $800, and Z is the best for $1000".

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
By in large, that pretty much sums up the "How To Buy X" guides. Some specific items are mentioned as examples of course, but its more about analyzing needs and learning what separates the good from the mediocre than saying "X is the best speaker for $500, Y is the best for $800, and Z is the best for $1000".
I would expect no less from you guys :p

One thing that would probably be quite useful is to help the beginners to understand what they need, meaning how to understand your own requirements :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
These..... 'which product do I choose' questions are of course ridiculous, and serve no purpose other than to satisfy stupidity....
Too bad everyone can't be as smart as you, huh? :rolleyes:

Everyone is at a different state when it comes to knowing what they want and knowing what to ask to get there. I like to think that we're here to help them, or to be helped if others know more than us. Rarely can we saw the best product for any one person, but we can help to guide their "stakeholder analysis."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis