Audiogasms is copying reviews from Audioholics and other audio magazines

• Thread starter John E. Johnson Jr.
  • Start date
J

John E. Johnson Jr.

Audiophyte
Audiogasms.com is copying reviews from Audioholics, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, Home Theater Review, and other audio magazines, and republishing them on their website. They have not responded to our request to remove the copyrighted articles, so I suggest that the magazines who are being compromised get together and hire a lawyer to sue them for $250,000.

John Johnson
Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Why not just send a request to abuse@1and1.com? That's the abuse contact for the server farm that hosts that domain. 1and1's TOS prohibit copyright violations, and they'll take the site down if a copyright owner requests it. See section 8.9.

As far as I can see, someone just set up the site to aggregate RSS feeds. For all we know, it could be a high school kid trying to figure out how his CMS works. I think litigation should be a last resort, not a first or second.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Audiogasms.com is copying reviews from Audioholics, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, Home Theater Review, and other audio magazines, and republishing them on their website. They have not responded to our request to remove the copyrighted articles, so I suggest that the magazines who are being compromised get together and hire a lawyer to sue them for $250,000.

John Johnson
Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
John;

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I will join in your efforts in getting this resolved.

My initial thoughts is to issue a DMCA take down. We've had foreign websites scrape the entire Audioholics site and were able to get it taken down by filling these measures before getting costly litigation involved.

Please email me at: gds@audioholics.com so we can further discuss via email/phone or perhaps at CEDIA in a couple of days.

Thanks again.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Why not just send a request to abuse@1and1.com? That's the abuse contact for the server farm that hosts that domain. 1and1's TOS prohibit copyright violations, and they'll take the site down if a copyright owner requests it. See section 8.9.

As far as I can see, someone just set up the site to aggregate RSS feeds. For all we know, it could be a high school kid trying to figure out how his CMS works. I think litigation should be a last resort, not a first or second.
I just briefed the site and it seems to be more than just a basic RSS. I see lots of body text and images from the Secrets site which is a copyright violation.

J

John E. Johnson Jr.

Audiophyte
Why not just send a request to his web server? That's the abuse contact for the server farm that hosts that domain. 1and1's TOS prohibit copyright violations, and they'll take the site down if a copyright owner requests it.

We reported it to 1and1.com a week and a half ago, with no response.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In a google search, I stumbled upon this article at mariobon.com, which I recognized as this Audioholics article. The folder which hosts that article has restricted access, so there may be other audioholics articles reprinted in there as well, accessible by google but not directly on the site, so I only stumbled upon that one by accident. I don't know if that Mario Bon has permission to reprint Audioholics articles (I would guess not), so just letting you know about this.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In a google search, I stumbled upon this article at mariobon.com, which I recognized as this Audioholics article. The folder which hosts that article has restricted access, so there may be other audioholics articles reprinted in there as well, accessible by google but not directly on the site, so I only stumbled upon that one by accident. I don't know if that Mario Bon has permission to reprint Audioholics articles (I would guess not), so just letting you know about this.
No that site does NOT have our permission. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Looks like they are based in Italy. I may just have to pay them a visit and throw some meatballs at them ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I finally had more than 5 min to review the Audiogasms website. It looks like they've toned down their content copying to just using excerpts from our RSS with proper credit to the source and link to the original article. I don't see the need for further action on our part based on this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis