AudioEngine 5 v. axiom m2i,m3i,svs sbs-01 and onix x bookshelfs

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
First off, I am not suggesting using the audion engine 5's to compliment a ht in a home theater setup, because the audion engine 5 is just 45 wattsrms and they are self-amplified and are only sold in pairs.

However, the reason for this post is that, when you run 7.1 speaker system, the receiver has each channel at maybe 50-60 watts. Since the Audioengine got a 5 star rating for sound quality and it costs about the same as the axiom's and other booksehlfs I wanted to start this thread

Would these be good for music in terms of jazz music and dance music in a home theater setup rather than just playing mp3's. Given their cost, I would love opinions.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
well, where did it get the "5 star" rating? was it against other speakers you mentioned? I mean it's self powered, cost the same as the others... which means some of the money went into self powering them on the amplifier, which I am just gonna "assume" that they won't sound as good as other non self powered speakers because the money went into the drivers/crossover/enclosure and non into the amp.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
It seems interesting

Well, right here on Audioholics it received a 5/5 rating. It is true that it does have a self amplifier, but I would love thoughts on it.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
AH scores

I think that the powered speakers were rated against the performance of comparable PC and iPod audio products including the Klipsch and Bose iPod speakers.
You might ask the reviewer for his opinion on the powered speakers vs. other traditional options. If you want to go the route of a traditional HT without a computer, then I think you would be better off with unpowered speakers and a receiver.

Also, FYI, AV123.com will have a floorstander version of the X-LS speakers available soon for $300 / pair. It will play down to the 40 Hz. range and have the same single woofer and tweeter as the current bookshelf.
Further down the road they will have a powered woofer version with 2 mid drivers and a tweeter for $600 / pair.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Anyone else try the Audioengine

It seems like a comparable speaker since its 45 watts RMS, which most receivers do since they aren't all channels driven. Should I get this for my mp3 music?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like they'd make great computer or IPOD speakers to me. Note also, you must read the "fine print" on all the reviews:

Audioholics.com note: The ratings indicated below are based on subjective listening and objective testing of the product in question. The rating scale is based on performance/value ratio. If you notice better performing speakers in future reviews that have lower numbers in certain areas, be aware that the value factor is most likely the culprit. Other Audioholics reviewers may rate speakers solely based on performance, and each reviewer has their own system for ratings.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
It is interesting say for a computer or the TV in the bedroom if you can mute them with muting the TV. I wonder if they are intended for nearfield listening. As for an HT set-up you'd need a pre/pro. Imagine what a chore calibrating would be? Could you even calibate individual speakers or only by pairs?

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
that still doesn't answer my question

Well, I know ratings may be subjective, but the audioengines are in the same price range as budget bookshelfs, So I would like more discussion.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
I think they have a fairly limited application mainly as nice computer speakers. The problem with HT is you would still need a processor to decode the surround surround. That cost is built into receivers already.

They are designed for stereo not one channel. As a connected pair the one side sends the other channel signal and power to the other side. So there is no way to use one for the left and one for the right as the processor sends just the signal for that particular channel to that speaker.

Then you have calibrating issues. Calibrating is done by setting distance from ths main listening position and raising and lowering individual speakers volume as needed for the room's variances through the receiver. WIth the A5 you only have one volume setting per pair. In another words if your left surround was in a null and the right one isn't you can't turn the left's volume up to match the right because you'd be increasing both speakers volume(but as mentioned before you can't address an individual channel for them to begin with). The other calibration issue is instead of sitting with your remote and monitoring the sound meter while running test tones you would need two people. One to be at the speaker pair to adjust the volume while someone else watches the sound meter.

Do you have an outlet to plug each pair of speaker into? You'd need interconnects from the processor to the one speaker and then speaker wire from that one to the other in the pair and the power cord. Seems like a lot of wires.

I'm definately intrigued in a pair for the master bedroom TV but need to know if there is a remote to control them. But I have to wonder with all the little digital switching amps coming to market if a separate amp wouldn't be a better way.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Well - the Audioengine 5 is somewhat promoted.

If you notice that stereo has 2 black lines, you could send just one channel for the audioengine.

The Audioengine 5 includes a RCA to stereo adapter for using it in with receivers.

Granted I guess it would be a little challenging- you may only be able to use 5.1 setup with it on a computer, and no subwoofer unless you use a "Y" Cable

Hook the first 2 pairs of speakers to the preamp section of the receiver, then for the fifth speaker use the included Rca cable but for one the outputs use a "Y" cable to the subwoofer -because not using the 6th speaker would seem like a waste.

Granted though- since the AUdioengine 5 can play 60hz-20khz +- 1.5db it beats the axiom's, svs, and onix I believe specifications- you can then set the crossover to 60hz which eliminates bass locatizion to the subwoofer.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Nevermind-you live and learn.

I just returned my Audioengine 5's, they didn't sound as great as my sennheister hd 280 headphones and the bass was well "rubbery" - you really do need a subwoofer, unforutanly while they say you can hook up a subwoofer, its only possible with an adapter before the audioengine 5 connects, you'll have to run the sound into the sub, set the crossover and then run it out from it.

They should've put rca inputs. Oh well, you live and learn, guess ill just ues a 7.1ht setup with my comp.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis