Audioengine 5+ Powered Speakers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
There is no doubt that the Audioengine A5+ speakers are going to be a hit. At $400, you are getting a lot of speaker for not a lot of money. With other speakers available offering a fraction of the performance and convenience for near the same amount of money, we can't see why you wouldn't put these on your short list. Multiple connections, the ability to charge your USB powered devices, and a front mounted volume control makes the A5+ very attractive. Add to that 1" MDF construction, a 22mm soft-dome tweeter paired with a 5" Kevlar woofer, and a response down to 50Hz and the A5+ hits all the right notes. Including a threaded insert to connect them directly to stands for safety means desk space isn't even a concern any longer.

Discuss "Audioengine 5+ Powered Speakers Preview" here. Read the article.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I just picked up a pair of open box audioengine A-5+ at a deep, deep discount from Vanns. I was going to buy a mini stereo system for my office originally but then I found the A5+ speakers on sale and bought them on an impulse. I am using them with the HRT music streamer II dac and my computer as a source. I have a decent sized office (around 15' by 24') and the speakers do a great job of filling up the room with music. Plus they go down reasonably deep for bookshelf speakers so I don't feel like I need or want a sub. And they look sharp.

The A5+ speakers are very forgiving in terms of room placement (I have them sitting on a shelf but pulled reasonably far off the back wall) and so will work well in different environments. They will not work well, though, I think, in a nearfield set up.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
In the junkyard of "lifestyle" products, these seem half decent for the price. The natural bamboo version certainly looks the part.

I wonder how they compare to similar offerings like, NHT SuperZero powered, Audessy Lower East Side, Emotiva Airmotive 4, and stack up against a proper Active Studio Monitors from JBL, KRK, Behringer, Adam, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis