Audioengine 2+ Powered Desktop Speakers Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Audioengine has made a name for themselves with small, self-powered desktop speakers whose size defies their sound. The first reaction most people have to Audioengine speakers is "Wow", and it is well deserved. For a lot of people, their first hint as to how much better audio can sound is when they upgrade their computer's speakers. Going from their monitor's speakers to those satellite/bass modules is the first step, but the next is often Audioengine. We recently reviewed the Audioengine 5+ speakers and now it is time to look at the smaller, and more affordable, 2+ speakers.

Discuss "Audioengine 2+ Premium Powered Desktop Speakers Video Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich Davis

Enthusiast
They are OK computer speakers for the money, but if you want really good high fidelity speakers, unfortunately you have to spend more money. But for close range computer speakers, they are fine. I would also check out the Focal, Paradigm Shifts, and other speakers. But it depends on your budget and space limitations. Audience has mini speakers called The One. They are certainly more expensive, but they are supposed to be incredible sounding as they use the same driver as their larger systems. I haven't heard them but the reviews have been extremely positive. But for those on a limited budget, the Audioengines are great deal.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I own the original Audioengine 2's, and have been a big fan. The only thing I didn't love about them was the inability to add a sub - this looks like a great upgrade. As for how they compare with other speakers, I find these perfect for a home office-type setup where I do a lot of background listening.They're relatively small and sound better than anything I've seen in that class, but they are obviously limited by their size. If you're using these as your main speakers, I would look to the Audioengine 5's, along with the Kef desktop models (which are pricier but sound amazing).

Dude Abides 1955

Dude Abides 1955

Audiophyte
I own the AE 2+ system and cannot say enough good things about it. You have to remember that this is not just two speakers. It is an amplifier, a DAC, and a pair of speakers. Mine are on my desktop and are awesome for near field listening. You will also notice that they have the capacity to fill the room with good sound. For me the bass is adequate but some will want a subwoofer which will be easy to add .

These little speakers actually image and sound very defined for $249. Buy them. You will not be disappointed.

AE is a cutting edge company that gives value for your dollar. These come wrapped in microfiber bags with all the necessary wiring. Very classy for the money. AE is just a great company that puts out well thought out products based on high quality and bang for the buck.

Dude Abides 1955

Dude Abides 1955

Audiophyte
Oh, I forgot.
Arcam A19
B&W 685S2
Emotiva XDA-2
Denon DP300F w/ Ortofon 2M Red
Maranta CD5004
Wharfdale Topaz SW10
White Lightning Cable

newsletter