Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBL LIMITED EDITION Professional Monitor Headphones Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Ever wondered if it was possible to get a truly good sounding pair of headphones without breaking the bank? If you have, I've got good news for you. The ATH-M50xBL LIMITED EDITION Professional Monitor Headphones from Audio Technica do just that... and not only that; they look very good as well.
20140711095140_86754.jpg

According to the company, the ATH-M50xBL is the successor to their popular, ATH-M50 which is a mid-level, professional-grade monitor headphone that has became one of the most loved and recommended headphones in their price range. Each of the M50x’s ear cups can be rotated and swiveled up to 90° and each feature a proprietary 45mm large-aperture, Neodymium driver with a copper-clad aluminum voice coil that, according to Audio Technica, is capable of providing a frequency response range of 15Hz to 28kHz - (see the specifications at the end of this overview for additional technical details).
2015-05-14 16.17.15.jpg

The company’s latest headphones, the ATH-M50xBL, appears to retain all of the things that made the original model a hit while adding a few more to satisfy some requests from their users/clients. They have been requesting detachable cables for some time and it is good to know that Audio-Technica listened to their requests. I really appreciate and admire a company when I see things work out like that. The longest of the cable measures 11.0 ft (3.5 m) and is straight the entire length. They also included a partially straight and coiled cable with sections that measures 3.9' and 9.8' respectively. Lastly, Audio-Technica included a nice and short, 3' cable that can be used with most mobile devices. The cables are detachable, and they also lock and unlock to the headphones with a simple twist. Check out the following picture of the cables.
PicsArt_1431637507015.jpg

The cups on the headphones can be turned pretty much any way you can imagine which is good for all types of people. The headband has the brand printed on the outside in a hard material, while the inside part facing the user's head is nice and plushy.
ATH-M50xBL-EARPADS.jpg

These puppies were meant for long listening sessions. They are comfortable, light and offer very good sound quality. So, if you are looking for a professional set, take a look at the ATH-M50xBL and give it some serious consideration. Let me know what you think!

FEATURES:
  • Special edition blue color, with tan headband and earpads
  • Critically acclaimed sonic performance praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers
  • Proprietary 45 mm large-aperture drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils
  • Exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, with deep, accurate bass response
  • Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
  • 90° swiveling earcups for easy, one-ear monitoring
  • Professional-grade earpad and headband material delivers more durability and comfort
  • Collapsible for space-saving portability
  • Detachable cables (includes 1.2 m - 3.0 m coiled cable, 3.0 m straight cable and 1.2 m straight cable)
  • Top choice for studio tracking and mixing, as well as DJ monitoring and personal listening
  • Also available in black (ATH-M50x) and white (ATH-M50xWH)
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Type: Closed-back dynamic
  • Driver Diameter: 45 mm
  • Magnet: Neodymium
  • Voice Coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)
  • Frequency Response: 15 Hz - 28,000 Hz
  • Maximum Input Power: 1,600 mW at 1 kHz
  • Sensitivity: 99 dB
  • Impedance: 38 ohms
  • Weight: 285 g (10 oz), without cable and connector
  • Interchangeable cables: detachable 1.2 m - 3.0 m (3.9' - 9.8') coiled cable, detachable 3.0 m (9.8') straight cable and detachable 1.2 m (3.9') straight cable
  • Accessories Included: Protective carrying pouch, 6.3 mm (1/4") screw-on adapter
PRICE: $259.00

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
They look nice! And I like the detach cords.

I have a pair of the ATH-M50, go them for right around $120 or so. A good, comfortable headphone. My only complaint is that they have a bit too much bass. Nothing that a little EQ can't fix.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Yeah, I really like how they look. And knowing AT's pedigree, I expect them to perform really good.

THRobinson

THRobinson

Audiophyte
Where did you get the velvet/velour ear pads? All photos show these with the pleather... I'd much rather the cloth for comfort.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nice upgrades they have done out there. How ever the price have gone up so much that you can get Sennheiser HD600 / Beyerdynamic DT990 prem for same price! It is not easy to compete with those said phones in same price range. Would like to hear those how ever and see how they do.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Nice upgrades they have done out there. How ever the price have gone up so much that you can get Sennheiser HD600 / Beyerdynamic DT990 prem for same price! It is not easy to compete with those said phones in same price range. Would like to hear those how ever and see how they do.
I feel certain that the ATs can't compete with the HD600.

I have the AT-50 and the HD598SE--I'll take the HD598SE every time in a head to head. The ONLY place that the AT-50 could be "better" is that they do dig deeper and have more authoritative bass. BUT, there tends to be a mid-bass hump on the ATs that I don't care for.

I'm a really big fan of the AKG 845BTs--great can that digs deeper than the HD598 and doesn't have that offensive hump in the FR.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis