Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Headphone Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Overall, the Audio-Technica M50s headphones represent a very good value for what they offer - an accurate, if lively, presentation of music. Uncompromising in their musical reproduction, don't expect that basement recorded podcast to sound good on them but your uncompressed music will come through with all the clarity and impact of the original masters. While the price might be outside the realm of the casual buyer, the $200 price point is probably considered by the hardcore as an entry level purchase.

Discuss "Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Headphone Review" here. Read the article.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Great to see some headphone action from AH other than Monster Beats ;) . They are nice headphones. A little to pumped up in the bass response for my tastes but I can see why they are very popular - probably the most popoular closed headphone in this price range for the head-fi crowd :eek: - they do have great build quality as well. Comfort is always an issue with me with closed headphones and the "clamping" sensation is hard to get over. If you shop around on the interwebs you can get these for much less than $200. More between $100-$140. Definitely a headphone to consider when shopping.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I bought a pair about a month ago. I paid just under $100 for them.
So far I'm really impressed with them. The best headphones I've owned in 15-20 years.
I think for the price; they're an absolute steal.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I bought a pair about a month ago. I paid just under $100 for them.
So far I'm really impressed with them. The best headphones I've owned in 15-20 years.
I think for the price; they're an absolute steal.
I agree. That is an excellent price for those headphones. I would pick up a pair if I was able to get them for that price.

SaviorMachine

SaviorMachine

Enthusiast
Huh! I never knew that AH had reviewed these cans. They're an excellent value. Amazon regularly sells them for way south of $200. I got mine for $125 :D

As for comfort concerns, they are legitimate: ATH-M50s can be quite pinchy depending on the size (and the shape!) of your head. I strongly encourage all owners to check out Shure's replacement velour ear pads for model SRH940 headphones. They fit really well and kill the head-pinch dead.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I got mine for about 90 barely used. I never had a problem with the headband, but I have not had them on for more than an hour. I love how they sound with my Cowon player.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis