AUDIO TECHNICA AT91E vs SHURE M91ED

D

Doug Walker

Audiophyte
Hi all, My first post. I searched previous posts and did not find the answers I was looking for, so here goes.

Presently using 60 year old Dual 1009 turntable with a Audio Technica AT91E cartdridge. I recenly bought a new replacement stylus . Amazing how a new stylus can perk up your old vinyls !
At a recent flea market I bought a Toshiba Direct-Drive SR-255 turntable. It is equipted with a SHURE M91ED. I have ordered a new stylus for it and it should arrive shortly.
I have a large collection of both clasical and theatre pipe organ LPs. My plan is to import these to my PC and burn to CD format.
I also have recently bought a Art DeeJayPre Turntable Phono Preamp off EBay . It is the basic unit powered by a wall transformer. Nothing fancy, just the basic RIAA equalization needed from a magnetic cartridge.
I have also bought a broken Sony PS-LX300USB USB Stereo Turntable off EBay primarily for the Audicity Software and the Preamp/USB interface.

My first planned project will to use the Toshiba turntable and the ART DeJay preamp and connect to my PC sound card and use the Audicity software to capture my vinyl LPs. The Toshiba turntable seems more practical for playing one vinyl LP at a time, as it is equipped with anti-skate device and the Dual 1009 is not. Also has a lever to lower the arm onto the disk.

NOW TWO QUESTIONS:
1) Which of the two cartridges would give the best overall response ? Some of my pipe organ Vinyls have frequencies below 32 hrtz. I would like to be directed to any PDF files or specs for comparing these two pickups.
2) Am I using the correct approach for the best end results ? That is the USB input a better one than analog input to my PC sound card ? Hopefully you can help me avoid poor results and having to start over.

Please link me to previous posts/stickys related to these questions.

Regards, Doug

PS. I was involved in commercial Hi-FI and Stereo back in the late 1950s when Altec A7s and Electro Voice speakers and McIntosh tube amps were KING!!
I presently have a modest solidstate FM receiver and amp connected to a pair of Allen Organ HC-12 speakers. They each sport a 15 inch foam surround woofer, two 6 inch mid range units and a 2 inch soft-dome tweeter. They are really effecient and 20 watts will rattle the neighbors windows ! Really enjoy my Bach and Theatre vinyls !

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all, My first post. I searched previous posts and did not find the answers I was looking for, so here goes.

Presently using 60 year old Dual 1009 turntable with a Audio Technica AT91E cartdridge. I recenly bought a new replacement stylus . Amazing how a new stylus can perk up your old vinyls !
At a recent flea market I bought a Toshiba Direct-Drive SR-255 turntable. It is equipted with a SHURE M91ED. I have ordered a new stylus for it and it should arrive shortly.
I have a large collection of both clasical and theatre pipe organ LPs. My plan is to import these to my PC and burn to CD format.
I also have recently bought a Art DeeJayPre Turntable Phono Preamp off EBay . It is the basic unit powered by a wall transformer. Nothing fancy, just the basic RIAA equalization needed from a magnetic cartridge.
I have also bought a broken Sony PS-LX300USB USB Stereo Turntable off EBay primarily for the Audicity Software and the Preamp/USB interface.

My first planned project will to use the Toshiba turntable and the ART DeJay preamp and connect to my PC sound card and use the Audicity software to capture my vinyl LPs. The Toshiba turntable seems more practical for playing one vinyl LP at a time, as it is equipped with anti-skate device and the Dual 1009 is not. Also has a lever to lower the arm onto the disk.

NOW TWO QUESTIONS:
1) Which of the two cartridges would give the best overall response ? Some of my pipe organ Vinyls have frequencies below 32 hrtz. I would like to be directed to any PDF files or specs for comparing these two pickups.
2) Am I using the correct approach for the best end results ? That is the USB input a better one than analog input to my PC sound card ? Hopefully you can help me avoid poor results and having to start over.

Please link me to previous posts/stickys related to these questions.

Regards, Doug

PS. I was involved in commercial Hi-FI and Stereo back in the late 1950s when Altec A7s and Electro Voice speakers and McIntosh tube amps were KING!!
I presently have a modest solidstate FM receiver and amp connected to a pair of Allen Organ HC-12 speakers. They each sport a 15 inch foam surround woofer, two 6 inch mid range units and a 2 inch soft-dome tweeter. They are really effecient and 20 watts will rattle the neighbors windows ! Really enjoy my Bach and Theatre vinyls !
The Shure M91 ED

D

dave b

Audiophyte
shure vs at...

The shure m91 has amazing ability to track very well, play "worn" records seamlessly, and was second on the "food" chain back in the day for shure. the AT is no slouch either just a little more entry level.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis