Audio Power Cables / Cords - Do they really make a difference?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Firstly it is over the counter, no prescription required. Gullible people buy lots of ineffective stuff.
Google Linus Pauling, twice winner of a Nobel, yet fell for Vitamin C curing or negating the common cold.
Airborne made a schoolteacher very rich on a useless pill. People buy into lots of nonsense, audio has no monopoly on it.
Hence just because it has been used from the dawn of time doesn't mean it works.
And, just because some doctors recommend it is not evidence that it has a useful place in medicine.
Lots of doctors fall to the dark side. And popularity also doesn't mean it works.
And, in fact it can have a deleterious effect when people forego medicines that does work and cure.

The Australian National Health and Medical Research Council release a report on their very large research, 1800 studies, concluded that no evidence that it does anything.

After a drop is diluted over and over a 100 times, there is nothing left in the solution.

But you certainly may buy into it and supernatural beings as well. As to life forms on other planets and even intelligent life, belief is not part of a scientist's tool bag.
Homeopathic medicine has no side effects, consequently, it cannot have deleterious effects. But you say that traditional medicines work. I concur with the fact for diseases like some types of cancers for instance, but most traditional medicine doesn't cure at all.

The medical profession is there to make money. If you cure a disease, you reduce your future income from future office visits, and you will prescribe less medication. Many physicians have shares in pharmaceutical companies. Are they interested to prescribe less? Most doctors are not searching for the real cause of a disease. A lot of diseases can normally be cured by a change in diet and better nutrition, but most physicians know almost nothing about nutrition. In their Curriculum, there is only one tiny chapter on nutrition. They should all be promoting prevention but they are afraid to make less money if the community becomes healthier.

The Australian National Health Council released a report on homeopathic medicine. A lot of reports are biased and a lot are flawed. One cannot make an opinion based on only one study. I imagine that the people managing that study were physicians and it might therefore be unlikely that the result is unbiased. Physicians want to protect their profession and are very opposed to alternate medicines in all developed countries.

Is traditional medicine the best medicine? It is a radical process as compared to other medicines. It is necessary for severe diseases but not the best for all illnesses. The majority of physicians don't practice preventive medicine. But we can be subjected to unnecessary visits, unnecessary deadly scans and other types of screening to seek diseases which would have had no effect on our well being and life span. That silly screening is costly. Who pays for that?

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Homeopathic medicine has no side effects, consequently, it cannot have deleterious effects. But you say that traditional medicines work. I concur with the fact for diseases like some types of cancers for instance, but most traditional medicine doesn't cure at all.

The medical profession is there to make money. If you cure a disease, you reduce your future income from future office visits, and you will prescribe less medication. Many physicians have shares in pharmaceutical companies. Are they interested to prescribe less? Most doctors are not searching for the real cause of a disease. A lot of diseases can normally be cured by a change in diet and better nutrition, but most physicians know almost nothing about nutrition. In their Curriculum, there is only one tiny chapter on nutrition. They should all be promoting prevention but they are afraid to make less money if the community becomes healthier.

The Australian National Health Council released a report on homeopathic medicine. A lot of reports are biased and a lot are flawed. One cannot make an opinion based on only one study. I imagine that the people managing that study were physicians and it might therefore be unlikely that the result is unbiased. Physicians want to protect their profession and are very opposed to alternate medicines in all developed countries.

Is traditional medicine the best medicine? It is a radical process as compared to other medicines. It is necessary for severe diseases but not the best for all illnesses. The majority of physicians don't practice preventive medicine. But we can be subjected to unnecessary visits, unnecessary deadly scans and other types of screening to seek diseases which would have had no effect on our well being and life span. That silly screening is costly. Who pays for that?

WOW......
We went from a discussion of cables to what the truck?.........

truck off.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

This is an extremely insulting and inaccurate post, that you need to retract.

The fact is that homeopathy is a proven sham and useless. Like all quackery it often delays needed therapy and treatment that would other wise have saved a life or reduced morbidity.

Very few physicians I have known have been primarily financially focused and those few were universally poor physicians. Yes, physicians need a living. Very few physicians do their own investing, the odd ones that do more often then not come unstuck. Most, myself included, have always left investing to professionals we trust.

To say physicians are not interested in finding the cause of disease is just absurd. Diagnostic acumen is the sine qua non of the astute and skilled physician. Unless you find the underlying cause of a patient's problem you are unlikely to help them. The sicker the patent that faster you must make the diagnosis. As a retired critical care physician I can tell you speed of diagnosis is crucial. The sicker the patient the more difficult but essential this becomes.

My particular role on our care team was nutritional support and I assisted surgeons in particular supporting patients though prolonged and harrowing illnesses guiding our nutritional support team. So I particularly take offence to remarks about nutrition.

Steve Jobst very likely lost his life as a result of the type of quackery you are advancing. If he had not pursued unorthodox nutritional therapy and availed himself of the recommended surgery for his neuroendocrine tumor as soon as the diagnosis was made, his outcome could well have been different.

This is much more serous than recommending "funny" expensive wire which diverts people's funds from investments that would make proven improvements to their systems.

What you are espousing is dangerous nonsense which could inflict serious harm.

If you persist with this I'm going to have to recommend to moderators that you be permanently banned from these forums.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
This is an extremely insulting and inaccurate post, that you need to retract.

The fact is that homeopathy is a proven sham and useless. Like all quackery it often delays needed therapy and treatment that would other wise have saved a life or reduced morbidity.

Very few physicians I have known have been primarily financially focused and those few were universally poor physicians. Yes, physicians need a living. Very few physicians do their own investing, the odd ones that do more often then not come unstuck. Most, myself included, have always left investing to professionals we trust.

To say physicians are not interested in finding the cause of disease is just absurd. Diagnostic acumen is the sine qua non of the astute and skilled physician. Unless you find the underlying cause of a patient's problem you are unlikely to help them. The sicker the patent that faster you must make the diagnosis. As a retired critical care physician I can tell you speed of diagnosis is crucial. The sicker the patient the more difficult but essential this becomes.

My particular role on our care team was nutritional support and I assisted surgeons in particular supporting patients though prolonged and harrowing illnesses guiding our nutritional support team. So I particularly take offence to remarks about nutrition.

Steve Jobst very likely lost his life as a result of the type of quackery you are advancing. If he had not pursued unorthodox nutritional therapy and availed himself of the recommended surgery for his neuroendocrine tumor as soon as the diagnosis was made, his outcome could well have been different.

This is much more serous than recommending "funny" expensive wire which diverts people's funds from investments that would make proven improvements to their systems.

What you are espousing is dangerous nonsense which could inflict serious harm.

If you persist with this I'm going to have to recommend to moderators that you be permanently banned from these forums.

Remember the thread was Power cables and not "My life to live"

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Of course power cables / cords / speaker wires make a difference! To your bank account and that of the snake-oil salesman you buy the expensive ones from! :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Of course power cables / cords / speaker wires make a difference! To your bank account and that of the snake-oil salesman you buy the expensive ones from! :p
There is another major benefit: They will make you lose weight :D
(but it will be in your wallet)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder how they thought-up the asymmetric part and then there is the static electric part.
yes.... And excuse my ignorance, but what is an asymmetric high speed cable?

As far as I have read, speed of electrons in a cable is somewhat between 0.42c and 0.72c, which is between 125912 and 215850 kilometers per second, fast enough for me :D

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Well a coax can be a very high frequency cable. Now up to 12 GHz for 4K video.
Who would care about high speed? Even at 12 GHz.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

As far as I have read, speed of electrons in a cable is somewhat between 0.42c and 0.72c, which is between 125912 and 215850 kilometers per second, fast enough for me :D
That is only the speed of signal transfer, not the actual electron drift velocity. Google electron drift velocity. Interesting reading.

S

speedbump61

Audiophyte
Old thread, but felt the need to comment. I was always skeptical over the years about high cost cables. I don’t think back when, that my hears were sophisticated to hear subtle differences, as I didn’t consider myself an audiophile. Guess I thought you had to apply and have a special certification to be a part of the club, lol. I used decent, meaning not Walmart, but not expensive cables. I recently tried Synergistic Research top of the line power conditioner with their top power cord. This was listening to. McIntosh MC352 with Higher end Sonus Faber standmount speakers, and Klipsch Heresy speakers. With it in line I noticed the lack of a hiss in the quiet moments and between notes that I had not noticed up until it was no longer there. There was more impact in the bass, mids and highs, the bass being most noteable. I play the guitar and could easily tell there was more attack on the leading edge of the notes played on the guitar. Same for all instruments. The sound was more dynamic throughout. I had honestly expected not to hear any difference at all, in a way I was trying to prove to myself that it was true that it made no difference, despite many reviews etc saying different and describing what they heard. Now, all those reviews make it sound like the difference is like a car radio from the 1950s, to a burmeister system in a Mercedes today. It was no where near that drastic, no frying pan hit me on the head to make the light go on. But it was a difference, and it was noticeable. We had been listening what I consider to be low volume, and I usually listen pretty loud. The difference increased as the volume did. Now the difference was pretty significant. I Then removed their high end power cord and ran the power conditioner with a standard mac cord. Again, I could hear a difference, and it diminished the improvements that I heard with it. Then I plugged in just their power cord and took out the power conditioner. The sound was not as good as the conditioner alone, but better than with the standard cord. I did not have time to try any other cables, but I will be back to try interconnects and speaker cables later. As with all audio products, after reading and trying to learn as much as I can, I let my ears be the final judge. Measurements are great, but if it dosnt sound good to me, that’s all that matters in the end. I left with the new power conditioner and cable in hand, they proved to me that there is indeed a difference, and a worthwhile one. Everyone has their own budget and some of us spend huge money for small improvements. So why not cables if we can indeed hear a difference, and more so if the difference is greater than what we might spend for a lesser improvement in other ways. I don’t know at what level the differences become noticeable and to what level they do. I can’t speak for all cables, but in this one case, I was wrong and cables do make a difference. If I had to chose the difference between what I spent on the power cord and the difference I heard in a 5k upgrade on a DAC, for the money, I’d do the power cord first. The difference was more noticeable, in a good way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis