Audio Fidelity multi channel SACD's.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I've been playing with these lately and, while nothing earth shaking, the ones I have sound at least as good (that I can recall) as my original 2 channel vinyl. The addition of the 4 channels is an added bonus.

while perhaps not "musically correct" in the soundstage, they are fun. Plus, there's not a heckuva lot of multi-channel SACD's out there anymore. Oh, they come with a serial number on the slip case aswell as an insert with the original cover artwork.

I've got Judy Collins, BS&T, Super Session, Guess Who, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and a few more back in Jersey and I like them all.

SACD.jpg

https://audiofidelity.net/category/multichannel

Plus, I see that some of these are going for astronomical prices on amazon. I guess that's the curse/blessing of limited editions.

[edit] I forgot to mention these ae hybrid SACD's so they will play on a regular CD player as well, but what's the point?

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've always been a fan of the format but find myself only listening to a few of my favorite discs in multichannel these days.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Funny i was listening to The Carpenters sacd which sound good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My favorite SACDs are mostly 2ch :) Though DSOTM is one m/c disc that gets more frequent play.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My favorite SACDs are mostly 2ch :) Though DSOTM is one m/c disc that gets more frequent play.
Yeah, DSOTM almost seems like a perfect fit for that medium.

I only have 2 SACDs--DSOTM and Getz/Gilberto.

But, I lost my ability to play SACDs when I sold my PS3. I will likely fix that one day.

Honestly, I prefer my 180g 45rpm vinyl for the Getz/Gilberto.

YammyFan72

YammyFan72

Enthusiast
I've been playing with these lately and, while nothing earth shaking, the ones I have sound at least as good (that I can recall) as my original 2 channel vinyl. The addition of the 4 channels is an added bonus.

while perhaps not "musically correct" in the soundstage, they are fun. Plus, there's not a heckuva lot of multi-channel SACD's out there anymore.
This is true only if one isn't into classical. The format is still alive and well in the classical world. BIS just came out with a box set of Bach's complete cantata's, some 50 discs, in hybrid SACD multi-channel. While most classical SACD's are released individually, it rare to see them in big box sets like this. I hope to see more of these being released in big boxes in the future.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That's good to know. but, while I like classical, I don't know if I want to commit to a fifty CD set. I do know that a few years* ago RCA was re-rereleasing their treasure trove of Living Stereo three channel recordings made in the fifties and sixties. Back then, they were strong proponents of having a center channel and made their recordings accordingly. Up until recently all those recordings were mixed down into two channels.

Now, with the advent of true multi channel playback, they re-released them in their original three channel format to be enjoyed as the original engineers intended..

The quality of sound these offer, particularly considering they were made 50 - 60 years ago is amazing. This shows that recording technology was more advanced than the playback tech.

As for multi-channel sound in general goes, it's a mixed bag. for classical, and most music, the sound is supposed to come from the front. I see it as useful in capturing the ambiance of the venue. Anything more seems, to me, would degrade the experience.

There are exceptions: A few years ago we attended a Paul Winter consort at The Cathedral of St. John the Divine where it started with a trumpet peal from the rear balcony and later, Mickey Hart was pulled from the rear to the front while banging on drums. Now, it that were recorded, MC would be totally valid.

Pop, OTOH, being basically a studio generated medium, is less stringent and can freely be mixed "for fun" to have "stuff" coming from all around you without destroying the "integrity" of the overall experience. Witness DSOTM wha the multi-channels actually become part of the performance itself.

*AFAICT, they still are. They are not hard to find.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself have Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon SACD and for this recording it works really well on 5.1 setup. If the multichannel is done well for SACD it can be worth it, how ever today there seem to be coming more of multichannel blu-ray recordings.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis