audio digital coaxial cable

Y

yev

Enthusiast
Hello,

I just connected my DVD player using a digital coax cable. When I play a DVD, sound coming out of the speakers stutters. There is a smooth section then a slight interruption and smooth again. What gives?

Denon DVD 2800 connected to HK Signature 2.0 Preamp, B&W 603S speakers connected to HK Signature 2.1 amp.

Thanks

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Digital audio cables (coax) should be 75 Ohm to meet the specs (composite video cables are the same thing) and you *might* notice a problem if you were to use a regular audio cable which may not be 75 Ohm.

However, it really sounds like the problem lies in the dvd player's ability to read the disc - either a scratched disc or the player itself is having problems. This happens occassionally on my Onkyo dvd player where it says 'Skipping bad area of disc' (and I am using optical, not coax).

Note also that some discs have some sections that switch between PCM (menus, intro trailers, etc) and DD tracks and each time the signal changes the receiver has to lock on to it and use the right decoder. That sometimes causes small interruptions.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Anonymous said:
Digital audio cables (coax) should be 75 Ohm to meet the specs (composite video cables are the same thing) and you *might* notice a problem if you were to use a regular audio cable which may not be 75 Ohm.

However, it really sounds like the problem lies in the dvd player's ability to read the disc - either a scratched disc or the player itself is having problems. This happens occassionally on my Onkyo dvd player where it says 'Skipping bad area of disc' (and I am using optical, not coax).

Note also that some discs have some sections that switch between PCM (menus, intro trailers, etc) and DD tracks and each time the signal changes the receiver has to lock on to it and use the right decoder. That sometimes causes small interruptions.

Some years back there was an experiment using a coat hanger as the digital cable. Worked just fine. :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
..and what does the coat hanger trick have to do with anything?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Anonymous said:
What it proved is that it doesn't take a scientific genius to design and a high tech lab environment to manufacture a cable capable of passing a digital signal with no problems.

A simple, unbent coathanger for a digital feed worked just fine. ...just as good as a fancy dancy cable does.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

markw said:
What it proved is that it doesn't take a scientific genius to design and a high tech lab environment to manufacture a cable capable of passing a digital signal with no problems.

A simple, unbent coathanger for a digital feed worked just fine. ...just as good as a fancy dancy cable does.

And it is free, in most cases :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Anonymous said:

Nothing with respect to the tracking, but everything about the need for true 75 ohm cable for such distances in home audio ;) and maybe even in video as well:

http://www.pcavtech.com/abx/abx_vid.htm

A closer look will reveal that the comparison is with a 120V power cable :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis