G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
When I use the audessey on my Onkyo 805, does it set the crossover to the sub at 80hz no matter how low my front speakers go?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Important reading for you Griffin.

When I use the audessey on my Onkyo 805, does it set the crossover to the sub at 80hz no matter how low my front speakers go?
Hi Griffin,

No. Your Onkyo 805 DOES SET the crossover to your speakers, and NOT the sub. By setting the x-over to your speakers, your sub is automatically set to get only the frequencies from 80hz and below.
Audyssey DOES NOT SET the crossovers of your speakers.

Also, you should read this very attentively about Audyssey Setup Guide:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895+post14456895

Bob

P.S. "AUDYSSEY" with a Y in the middle, not Audessey.

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
So Audyssey always uses 80hz even if your mains go down to 30 +or- 3db?

Bob....Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check that out...oh, and the spelling lesson.:rolleyes:

E

edmcanuck

Audioholic
Audyssey just gathers the data. The receiver's own hardware decides where it sets the crossover. Typically, it sets it wherever the -3dB point is. If your speakers have a -3dB of 30Hz in your room, then it's likely the crossover will be set in the neighbourhood of 40Hz.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Living in a perfect world.

So Audyssey always uses 80hz even if your mains go down to 30 +or- 3db?

Bob....Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check that out...oh, and the spelling lesson.:rolleyes:
NO, Audyssey does not choose the crossover, your 805 does. And if your speakers have the -3db point below 80hz, the Onkyo 805 would probably set these speakers Full range. So, you have to adjust the crossover manually where you figure that is best, which normally is 80hz.

Audyssey just gathers the data. The receiver's own hardware decides where it sets the crossover. Typically, it sets it wherever the -3dB point is. If your speakers have a -3dB of 30Hz in your room, then it's likely the crossover will be set in the neighbourhood of 40Hz.
True, but each brand of receivers have their own set of rules as to determine where to set the crossover at. Quite a few of them set the speakers Full range when they see the -3db point below 80hz or so (Onkyo for example).
Others will set them Full range when the -3db is below approximatively 40 to 60hz. Some manufacturers (quite a few of them actually), consider a 4.5 inch driver to be a woofer! And a 6 inch driver to be a full range driver! :eek:
Not many manufacturers have a realistic idea of what life truly means!

A truly full range speaker is one that have is -3db point at 20hz, and probably even less, like 0db at 20hz.
And for me, a true subwoofer is one that can play my recordings (Telarc) down to a low 5hz! And at 0db! :D

So, in a perfect world, a full range speaker will play extremely clean from 20hz to 50khz, and the subwoofer will handle very cleanly anything from 5hz to 20hz. :cool:

Da-li-da-di-li-di-da... ;)

Bob

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
Whoa, 5hz? I think my defTech sub only goes down to 18hz.
You into pipe organ?:)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
SUBatomic.

Whoa, 5hz? I think my defTech sub only goes down to 18hz.
You into pipe organ?:)
Def. Tech. subs are grossly overrated. It's the worst company about overinflating their numbers. If your sub is doing 35hz at best, that will be pretty good.

Yep, I do listen to pipe organ occasionally, but not the 16hz ones, more like the 32hz ones from my main fronts running full range (they go lower than my two Def. Tech. subs.). The subs are only for movies to get some air pumping. ;)

* The only subs that can reproduce 5hz cleanly are some homemade ones, using 6 x 18" drivers or 10 x 12" drivers. Some of them used the full basement of a house as the box resonance. :eek:

There are no subs on the market that I'm aware of, that can do 5hz clean.
The best ones can do perhaps 8 to 12hz.

I think that for experiencing very low frequencies, you'll need to be sitting in your couch close to an atomic bomb!, say 1/4 mile or so, before you get pulverize. :eek: Subatomic frequencies of lower than 1hz could be achieve just before you turn to dust into the atmosphere. :eek:
Just try to imagine, because that's the closest you could ever be to.
Or unless... :eek:

For instance, try to imagine what 0.01hz at over 300db can do to your body! :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis