Audessey Crossover Settings or Manual?

B

bodean

Enthusiast
Have Triad Speakers and Denon AVR-X2400H Receiver.

Ran Audessey on my Denon Receiver, and it set the following crossovers:
Fronts (InWall Silver) were set at 110Hz
Center (InRoom Silver): 40Hz
Surround (InWall Silver): 120Hz

Should I trust what Audessey is giving me or change all to 80Hz?

FWIW I have MultiEQ off

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Well....it shows that the triads sure don't like the space they are mounted in. :)

N

nicoleise

Junior Audioholic
Ran Audessey on my Denon Receiver, and it set the following crossovers:
Fronts (InWall Silver) were set at 110Hz
Center (InRoom Silver): 40Hz
Surround (InWall Silver): 120Hz

Should I trust what Audessey is giving me or change all to 80Hz?
Check the spec sheet of your center speaker to see if it goes down to 40 Hz. I suspect that might answer your question. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well....it shows that the triads sure don't like the space they are mounted in. :)
I think this is the problem with in walls. The large flat baffle of the wall creates mayhem from reflections and cancellations below 120 Hz.

I have done a lot more research with my in wall system and those in wall systems are complicated to study and sort out.

Luckily I have a very good TL sub with the driver right below the center speaker. It is a 10" with good bandwidth.

It is a 3.1 system and I have now set all the crossover to 150 Hz. I don't have a localization issue because of driver placement. So now there is only one driver with wall reflection issues, not the chaos of seven!

This has improved listening and measured results enormously. So I now understand that in walls need a high crossover point.

In addition this works well as the TL supports the driver up to 80 Hz. So it couples well to the room, which is a large space.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd probably simply rerun Audyssey. What kind of mic position format are you using? After Audyssey if you raise the crossover above the suggested crossover you're fine, just don't lower it, as that will create a gap in eq. Not sure what you mean by you have MultEQ off, you ran Audyssey and then turned it off?

ps keep in mind also that generally the suggested crossover is more the avr brand's than Audyssey's suggestion.

Last edited:
A

ab17182

Enthusiast
I've found that Audyssey usually does a decent job, but it's not always perfect.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If I'm looking at your speakers ( in wall silvers in their site) most note 70hz-20khz. and nominal impedance 4ohm. How much space in the walls do these speakers have and where are they located. Usually it makes sense to avoid is a corner or wall. Like any speakers, architectural models are subject to the 'boundary effect' which can make them sound a little boomy if placed close to a large flat surface .
Some fyi

I say run Audssey again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As posted earlier, do not believe everything you read on the internet, for example crossover settings and speaker break ins. Yes new speakers need to be properly broken in, contact the vendor, for example Elac had me break in my 5.2.4 setup by playing the speakers at full range with an 80% volume cutoff for 30-40 hours. After that I set the crossovers to 10hz above their spec. For example, my multieq app reads my towers, center, at 40 hz but I set them to 60hz based off of vendor feedback and my own experience. My atmos speakers measure at 250hz but I set them at 200hz based on vendor feedback and speaker specs. The goal is to have a matching crossover for all soundstage speakers and all effect speakers but obviously the Elac ceiling speakers can go much lower than 200hz so I have them set at 100hz based on vendor feedback and specs. Again, set the crossover to 10hz above spec, even if it means going lower than what you’re mic and software detects.
Like your post? Speaker break-in is largely in the consumer's mind. It doesn't take much time if it needs it at all, certainly not 30-40 hours, that's sales nonsense. Besides, even after that much time the next day you'll be close to your starting point again. Your avr is setting crossover (or to full range speaker) based on how it measured your f3, but that doesn't mean that's the best place for a crossover. You need to measure to find that in your particular room more than simply estimate it based on a speaker's f3. FWIW avr manufacturers largely ignored Audyssey's own advice of a starting point for a crossover with subs for 80hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis