Attaching Drivers to Cabinets

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
For those of you who go to shows or just visit a lot of places that sell speakers, what kind of screws have you seen to attach drivers to cabinets?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
What would be the point of security screws?

I don't mean this from the POV of a DIY'r but rather from a commercial enterprise.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What would be the point of security screws?

I don't mean this from the POV of a DIY'r but rather from a commercial enterprise.
The average person isn't likely to have a set of security bits just laying around, so it's less likely for the end user to take it apart. That's the theory, anyway.

Anybody that works on electronics fairly often will have a set of security bits. I had to buy a set to work on Xbox controllers.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Letting your mind roam a bit, then why might a fabricator of custom speakers where you can specify the driver (to a point), the crossover components, and perhaps even the wire, use security screws?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Letting your mind roam a bit, then why might a fabricator of custom speakers where you can specify the driver (to a point), the crossover components, and perhaps even the wire, use security screws?
Because he bought a boatload of them cheap.

Not sure where you're going with this :confused:.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It may go back to Post #2 in this thread. The security screws are indeed less likely to let the screwdriver slip out and damage a driver as compared to phillips or flat blade screwdrivers.

When I build amps and other electronics, I tend to try to use allen head (ie hex wrench) screws for the same reason. It is much easier and safer (less likely to short) for me to put a screw on the allen wrench and get it into a tight spot than it is to try to do that with a phillips head.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'd still say it's an attempt to reduce warranty claims/repairs, especially if you're selling to the kind of tweaks that want to customize down to the wires. Conversely, given that one can go to a local hardware store or shop online to find the appropriate bit, I wouldn't consider it adequate protection to hide fraudulent business practices that could land me in the slammer.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Because he bought a boatload of them cheap.

Not sure where you're going with this :confused:.
Well, the idea of security screws on speakers struck me as bizarre. Being a skeptical and suspicious person, I thought it strange that if for some reason a driver blew or a crossover component failed, having a non-standard screw head would make it pretty difficult for the end user to effect a repair since the speaker isn't shipped with the correct bit to begin with.

So, I know a couple of people who actually owned the brand that were equally curious and took it upon themselves to see what's behind the curtain. Not only was it not pretty but there's some funny stuff going on WRT what's inside compared to what they ordered. I can sort of buy into one mistake but two?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the idea of security screws on speakers struck me as bizarre. Being a skeptical and suspicious person, I thought it strange that if for some reason a driver blew or a crossover component failed, having a non-standard screw head would make it pretty difficult for the end user to effect a repair since the speaker isn't shipped with the correct bit to begin with.

So, I know a couple of people who actually owned the brand that were equally curious and took it upon themselves to see what's behind the curtain. Not only was it not pretty but there's some funny stuff going on WRT what's inside compared to what they ordered. I can sort of buy into one mistake but two?
Well, that's fishy for sure. What brand are we talking about here? You could send it via PM if that makes you more comfortable.

But, those security screws are merely an annoyance at best! The bits can be found fairly easily, and if not then you can always order them online. I've also seen online where people use small flat-head screwdrivers to get out those security screws (the ones used on Xbox controllers). But I didn't want to let a driver slip and scratch a controller, so I just went out and found the correct bit.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

Now it makes sense. Security screws certainly can keep owners from opening their speakers. There can be for good reasons for doing that and bad reasons, like your example – to hide from the owner what is really inside the cabinet.

I can think of some examples where the owner really should have been prevented access to his speakers. One is where an owner replaced his speakers inner wiring with silver wire. Only he made wrong connections and blew both his tweeters. Another comes to mind where an owner burned his speakers :eek:! He attached a wall socket plug to the speaker wires and plugged it in to a wall tap. It didn't take long for 120 volts AC at 60 Hz and 15 amps to ignite them. (I am not making this up, I saw them in a shop!) No security screws could have saved those speakers :D.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That would be my first thought of why to use security screws on a speaker. But as Steve mentioned, it isn't enough of a deterrent to risk a fraud lawsuit over (though I guess for the white van specials you could never trace it to an actual address or business). Then there are people like the ones you mentioned, myself, and I'm betting you; who, if they think someone is trying to keep them out feel compelled to get in - just 'cause!:)
Not to mention, I already have the drivers and I have disassembled at least 3 out of 4 of my speakers just for the heck of it.

So are you going to tell us who the upstanding manufacturer of these speakers is? Why the mystery?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Can't say who the vendor is at this time. I and some others are working on this to put it into a nice package with pictures and so forth. It really won't be until such time as the news gets around and people start opening up their speakers and comparing what's inside to what was specified. If it turns out there are others, well then we'll have to see what happens.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd probably use security screw if I built commercial speakers to keep people who have no business opening the speakers up from doing so. I'd rather just send you a replacement speaker than have you repair it. I'd probably put a marker on them for tampering as well.

That said you can get a set of screw drivers with all the bits for like 20 bucks at Lowes or Home Depot

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Personally I use self tapping screws because most of the speaker enclosures are made from MDF. Wood screws won't hold as well. Just go to the home center and choose so self tapping screws in an appropriate size.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Because people who buy custom items may become curious and decide they want to tinker inside, which would and should void the warranty?

Might be an aesthetic choice, too.

Getting to your post #10, I would like to know the brand and mdel of speakers that weren't made as advertised. If they didn't include "prices, specs and components may change without notice", it may be a case for the FTC if they're made on a large scale. The problem is, the FTC doesn't involve themselves in cases that are small and/or low priced.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Because people who buy custom items may become curious and decide they want to tinker inside, which would and should void the warranty?

Might be an aesthetic choice, too.

Getting to your post #10, I would like to know the brand and mdel of speakers that weren't made as advertised. If they didn't include "prices, specs and components may change without notice", it may be a case for the FTC if they're made on a large scale. The problem is, the FTC doesn't involve themselves in cases that are small and/or low priced.
It's just a tad to early to name names but it doesn't seem to be related at this time to any particular model. You're right that the FTC won't be bothered but a state Attorney General, well...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can't say who the vendor is at this time. I and some others are working on this to put it into a nice package with pictures and so forth. It really won't be until such time as the news gets around and people start opening up their speakers and comparing what's inside to what was specified. If it turns out there are others, well then we'll have to see what happens.
Very intriguing!
Should be interesting, thanks for the heads up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis