ATT U Verse tv service

E

edmikulski

Audioholic Intern
Not sure where this question actually belongs, but thought I'd start here.

I live in central Florida, and curently have Brighthouse as my cable tv provider. I'm getting bombarded by calls from ATT to switch over to U Verse, and am wondering if there is a major difference between the 2, that would make it worth my while.

Any comments would be appreciated.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I have had Uverse for nearly a year now. In my opinion they are terrible. The picture is noticeably compressed. I have had experience with Cox, Time Warner, and Dish Network and of all these I would say Dish looks the best. The very worst part about Uverse is that if I set my At&t set top box to "Surround sound" the audio cuts in and out to the point where I cant use it. At first I thought it might be a problem with the hdmi port so I tried an optical cable. Same result. I have to keep it set on "Stereo" which means my Onkyo has to output Dolby PLII instead of Dolby Digital. This problem has been ongoing for over 4 months. When I called tech support they said this is a known problem and they are working on it. The have been telling me this for the entire 4 months. I had to complain for nearly an hour working my way up the ladder to get compensation. They credited my account $50 instantly and offered $10 off per month for 6 months. Today is actually my final day as a Uverse customer. I am moving next week and will be going with Dish or DirecTv. If Verizon Fios were an option in my area I would spring for them without hesitation. I hope this helps.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have had Uverse for nearly a year now. In my opinion they are terrible. The picture is noticeably compressed. I have had experience with Cox, Time Warner, and Dish Network and of all these I would say Dish looks the best. The very worst part about Uverse is that if I set my At&t set top box to "Surround sound" the audio cuts in and out to the point where I cant use it. At first I thought it might be a problem with the hdmi port so I tried an optical cable. Same result. I have to keep it set on "Stereo" which means my Onkyo has to output Dolby PLII instead of Dolby Digital. This problem has been ongoing for over 4 months. When I called tech support they said this is a known problem and they are working on it. The have been telling me this for the entire 4 months. I had to complain for nearly an hour working my way up the ladder to get compensation. They credited my account $50 instantly and offered $10 off per month for 6 months. Today is actually my final day as a Uverse customer. I am moving next week and will be going with Dish or DirecTv. If Verizon Fios were an option in my area I would spring for them without hesitation. I hope this helps.
Yep, I agree. I have it and hate it.

My audio drops are gone now so maybe they fixed that known issue.

The picture is pretty much compressed crap.

E

edmikulski

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys. I also wanted to try Verizon, but not in southwest Orlando at this time.This morning, I opted to give Brighthouse a try with a bundled package. They gave me a pretty good deal. TV-phone-RR Turbo @ 20mb speed and a second free DVR, along with voicemail & wireless bridge for my 2nd computer. All in with taxes, it's $155/month, good for 2 years. I suspected issues with ATT. Have seen 2 or 3 houses in my community install and then uninstall the U Verse.

V

vikebrian84

Audioholic Intern
Yep, I agree. I have it and hate it.

My audio drops are gone now so maybe they fixed that known issue.

The picture is pretty much compressed crap.
Wow. I had uverse while going to school in Riverside for a year and I absolutely loved it. I tried to get it again this year but I was across the street from the cutoff so had to go with charter which I despise.

What I liked about uverse was great on demand options, had no audio issues whatsoever, and nothing seemed to be compressed at all. In fact I can also guarantee you its of higher quality than any dish network. Its definitely better than DTV which I'm watching right now. The internet being exceedingly fast was my favorite part.

I have a lot of friends who use it now who love it.

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
Not sure where this question actually belongs, but thought I'd start here.

I live in central Florida, and curently have Brighthouse as my cable tv provider. I'm getting bombarded by calls from ATT to switch over to U Verse, and am wondering if there is a major difference between the 2, that would make it worth my while.

Any comments would be appreciated.
I live in South Eastern Florida out on the beach and before UVerse, the only thing I could get was Atlantic Broadband, and the SD signal was absolutely atrocious. The first time I hooked up my Pioneer Elite TV and had it on an SD channel I thought I damaged the TV on the way home from Sound Advice. I was buggin. SD channels looked like watercolor paintings.

Several months later, I became aware of U-Verse and gave it a shot. I cant comment to anyone else's experiences in this thread, but I love Uverse. It was a mother fcng GOD SEND! My SD channels look great, and the HD channels are great. Plus, a ton more content, and the DVR functionality is seamless. Thank god it came along.

Two things: 1.) I do NOT work for AT&T, and 2.) DTV is not available to me because there is an apt building that blocks the sat signal.

I have the U450 package, which is everything, and its buncled w the highest speed internet service. To be fair, it is rather pricey proposition @ ~ $230/month...and if I buy PPV fights? Fugheddaboudit...but I dont care too much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis