ATS Acoustics Feedback

J

JER12

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Looking at purchasing some of ATS Acoustics Panels. Has anyone on here purchased from them lately, if so what were your impressions?

I did a quick search which gave some results but nothing recent. I was impressed with what I had read but would like some more recent feedback if possible.

Also, on 24"x48"X2" panel from ATS Acoustics does anyone know if the 1/4" wood back panel hurts performance compared to being open? From what I have read acoustic panels are an integral part of HT, just want to get some feedback from a trusted site. Thanks for your input!

-Jeremy

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I ordered from them a month or so back, you can see my panels here-
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45186

I'm pretty happy with them, but do not have any other brands to compare them too. I think for the money they are hard to beat if you're on a budget and not inclined to make your own. The colors I ordered were special orders, so they were an extra couple of bucks, but were in stock. I ordered on Sunday and I think I had them by Wednesday or Thursday. They're pretty easy to hang and fit snug with the hangers they supply. The only thing is if you have to move them you'll need to do a fair amount of patching and painting. As for the board on the back, it is nice to have there for keeping them sturdy and hanging them up. If your hanging them on a wall as I did, the board is probably fine performance wise. If you're going to straddle them in a corner for bass traps, I think you're supposed to not get the wood on the back and fill in behind it with poly or some other material. I haven't looked into that too much yet, but others may be able to chime in on what's best to do.

J

JER12

Enthusiast
Cool, yeah budget is definitely a concern but don't want to sacrifice too much performance. Thanks for the feedback and great set-up!

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
You really are going to want them to cut out the backs and space them off the wall a couple inches. Our stuff is built with a wood frame to the back to not only give it a way to flush mount, but to space it off the wall to help absorb more low end.

Maybe cut out the back, attach a wire across the back to hang on the wall. Then get a piece of wood to use as a spacer between the panel and wall.

Glenn

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
My most recent order from ATS was a couple months back, and one of the 24x48x4" panels had a damaged corner from where Fedex killed the box. I called up ATS that same day and they issued a call pick-up for Fedex to get the damaged panel back from me. The replacement one arrived just a few days later.

Normally I wouldn't have accepted the damaged box, but I wasn't home and they delivered them to the apartment complex office.

I like the reinforced backs, even though as Glenn mentioned you will lose some low end absorption ability. But then again my cats use them as climbing walls so it helps to have extra-strong ones :eek:

J

JER12

Enthusiast
Glenn thanks for the feedback, I will consider this when setting up the room. If I order the 4" panels there is the option to have the back open. Which should work for the corners of the room.

Your saying I should look into cutting the back out as well on the 2" panels? Has anyone done this yet on the ATS 2" Acoustic Panels? If so how complicated does it get?

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Definitely. If you're going to be straddling corners, having the hard back on them kinda defeats the purpose. They'll need to be cut out.

Bryan

J

JER12

Enthusiast
Yeah no worries there the back will be cut on the ones straddling the corner. Eventually would like to put some material behind the panel (acoustic transparent material) to help even more.

Does the back need to be cut out on the 2" panels as well that will be hanging on the walls?

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
If you want them to pick up a more lowend, which every room needs. :)

Glenn

J

JER12

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice Glen. I will attach wire to the back of the panels then hang them using that. If I feel the panels need to help out with the low end I can always pull them down and cut part of 1/4" wood backing. :D

I will post with final results, just ordered 11 panels!

D

D.R. Payne

Audioholic
I have ordered their DIY materials: Roxaul Rockboard for making bass wedges. I haven't had any issues, and I happen to live close enough to their shipping facility I usually get things next day even with "basic" shipping.

J

JER12

Enthusiast
Just received conformation, panels should arrive tomorrow via FedEx. Looking forward to a weekend of movies and gaming!

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Hey JER12,

Did you get your panel and what was the result? Has the sound in your room dramatically improved?

I ordered recently from GIK and are awaiting the panels.

Fowl

J

JER12

Enthusiast
Fowl,

Yes I have received the panels and they made a significant improvement to the room. I would recommend ATS Acoustics or GIK both are great companies to work with.

I will try and post some pics just need some free time...:)

Thank you Glenn and Bryan for help with my room set-up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis