M

mx416

Audioholic
Hi all,
Looking for the groups thoughts on a situation I find myself in that maybe others have as well.
I am currently running a 5.2 living room system and would like to add atmos. However, I am reluctant because my surrounds are “in ceiling”. The surrounds are about 2’ horizontal behind the listening position using Polk speaker angled at 15 degrees.
Adding atmos above the listening position would be easy however, I am worried that it won’t sound great since the surrounds are already in ceiling.
Thoughts?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The X4300H powers nine channels so you could run a 5.1.4 setup and repurpose your Surround Speakers as Rear Height speakers while adding a second pair of them for Front Height Speakers and a new pair of Surround Speakers at ear level.
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 12.40.51 PM.png

M

mx416

Audioholic
Appreciate that feedback. :)
However surrounds at ear level are not an option unfortunately.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Can you not mount surround speakers on the walls at or just above ear level? The surround and height speakers cannot be installed at the same level or object based audio signals will not be output correctly.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Unfortunately ear level speakers for surrounds are out of the question. I could do it with one on the wall and the other on a stand, however that WAF would never allow that :cool:.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You could add front tops or heights, but you wouldn’t have any dimensionality. Part of Atmos is that it uses the overhead speakers with the ear level speakers to place sounds(objects) in and around the room. When they’re all on the same plane, it doesn’t really work. You will have the sounds that are supposed to be overhead, overhead. But the object placement and immersion won’t be effective. If it really matters, I’d have a meeting with the war department and see if there’s a compromise to be had. I’m fortunate to have 7.3.4 in my living room, and while it has its compromises, it’s not because my wife simply said so. Everyone’s WAF is different though, so good luck.

M

mx416

Audioholic
William totally understand.
Yeah I blame it on the WAF but it would be tough with the open room. I doubt I would want a speaker stand right in the middle of my room as well. :cool:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I blame it on the WAF but it would be tough with the open room. I doubt I would want a speaker stand right in the middle of my room as well. :cool:
It’s definitely difficult making it work in a domestic shared space. My wife isn’t a fan of all my gear out here, but I’ve always been “that guy” so we talk about what does and doesn’t work for each other, and go from there. Our house is open in front and we designed and built it. Needed a place for my right surround so we built a column to mount it which also doubles as an installation point for the three gang light switch. I understand it wouldn’t work for everyone but it’s elegant enough for me! And her…barely lol.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Atmos wasn't really meant for mainstream adoption. I've been saying that for years, and it still holds true.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis