Atlantic Technology SB-900DF Downfiring Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Are you going to run out and replace one of your reference subs with the Atlantic Technology SB-900DF? No. But it would make a fine "first sub" for a newbie looking to take their real steps into home theater. With a -3dB low point of 32Hz, a downfiring 8" driver and port, and a reasonable size, the SB-900DF is a respectable offering. Considering the $349 MSRP, it becomes very attractive. The downfiring nature makes placement easy, the extension is reasonable enough to impress most people, and the price won't break the budget. This a sub to remember when your friends are looking to put together their first system.

Discuss "Atlantic Technology SB-900DF Downfiring Subwoofer Preview" here. Read the article.

F

Funboy

Audioholic Intern
Why shouldn't you place the sub behind a sofa? With a normal crossover of 80hz, it wouldn't be directional and you'd be able to turn down the volume if it were close to you thereby getting less distortion from especially the tinier subwoofers like this. Or am I missing something?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Why shouldn't you place the sub behind a sofa? With a normal crossover of 80hz, it wouldn't be directional and you'd be able to turn down the volume if it were close to you thereby getting less distortion from especially the tinier subwoofers like this. Or am I missing something?
It's a bit tricky placing a sub in such close proximity to the listening seats, even if an 80Hz xover point is used. I've had good results doing it for multi subwoofer installations where the one right behind the sofa was turned down a little lower than the others.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Looks an awful lot like the Outlaw Audio M8. The dimensions are slightly smaller with a little less extension.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
At least they're headed in the right direction; it's affordable. Now they need to create something with a 12" or 15" driver in a similar configuration -- and priced competitively -- then I'll pay attention. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis