Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 Tweeter Issue

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not quite sure how to describe the problem I'm having, but it seems to have gotten worse and I'm probably to blame. At certain frequencies the tweeter has a high pitch but faint buzz. It used to be that when it did this I could poke around the edge of the tweeter and it will feel like it was hung up and once I moved it around a little it felt freed up and the noise I described would go away. After a while (hours maybe) the problem would return. Now pressing around the tweeter to get it to stop no longer helps.

Any idea what the cause would be? My thinking is that I should not have touched the tweeter and I believe it may well have made the problem worse.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not quite sure how to describe the problem I'm having, but it seems to have gotten worse and I'm probably to blame. At certain frequencies the tweeter has a high pitch but faint buzz. It used to be that when it did this I could poke around the edge of the tweeter and it will feel like it was hung up and once I moved it around a little it felt freed up and the noise I described would go away. After a while (hours maybe) the problem would return. Now pressing around the tweeter to get it to stop no longer helps.

Any idea what the cause would be? My thinking is that I should not have touched the tweeter and I believe it may well have made the problem worse.
You should contact Dave at Ascend and see what he recommends

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

The tweeter has gap rub. The VC is touching the pole piece. I would bet a replacement diaphragm is available for that tweeter. The other option is to replace the tweeter. Most likely the tweeter was over driven.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have my old stock tweeters from a pair of Sierra-1s before upgrading them to NrT tweeters, believe IIRC that even the base tweeter is a specific order from Ascend, not a stock SEAS tweeter but again you're better off asking these questions of Dave F....

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'll probably do that tomorrow or Monday.

In the meantime. Is there something special about the tweeter they have in their stock Sierra 1, or is it just a standard SEAS tweeter like this one.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-soft-dome-tweeters/seas-prestige-29tff/w-h1318-fabric-dome/
I bet it is a stock tweeter. Ascend might claim other wise, but they would either be just trying to get mark up on parts. Or the may have done something stupid like having them put in less ferro fluid and caused the failure.

The only thing you would be able to modify would be the maount of ferro fluid used. The stck tweeter is excellent and if there is no cheaper solution I would not hesitate to order one from Madisound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here are pics of one of my Sierra1 tweeters

29TFF
H 1477-06
Made in Norway
1507.../f

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Here are pics of one of my Sierra1 tweeters

29TFF
H 1477-06
Made in Norway
1507.../f
That actual tweeter is NLA. It comes from a time when 8 and 4 ohm versions were available. Manufacturers now find it easier to just make one 6 ohm version. That tweeter is the same as yours except with a 6 ohm voice coil.

So you have two options. See if Ascend have any of those old tweeters left. The other and probably better option is to look at the crossover and look at the component values of the high pass filter and the L-pad. I can easily recalculate the values and you can change the components and install the new tweeter. It is certainly possible we will only have to change the L-pad.

The latter is the better option as the old tweeter may have failed because the ferro fluid has dried up. If that is the case, then you don't want to buy an old one.

Since your current tweeter is no good you should remove the dome and VC and see if the ferro fluid has gone hard. If it has do not buy old stock.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ascend will have the tweeters, the speaker is still in production. I'm keeping my tweeters for a future project, tho :) I have these because I replaced them with the NrT tweeters.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ascend will have the tweeters, the speaker is still in production. I'm keeping my tweeters for a future project, tho :) I have these because I replaced them with the NrT tweeters.
How do you know they are not using the 6 ohm tweeters and made a small change to the crossover? That would not affect performance in any way and would make much more sense than paying for special production runs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do you know they are not using the 6 ohm tweeters and made a small change to the crossover? That would not affect performance in any way and would make much more sense than paying for special production runs.
I don't particularly, more a guess that it's the same speaker. I had queried not long ago that I might want to buy some of the woofers and build a pair with the crossover and tweeters left over after my conversion to NrT, and Dave said no problem.....but that would be a good question for Dave F.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
TLS Guy said:
That actual tweeter is NLA. It comes from a time when 8 and 4 ohm versions were available. Manufacturers now find it easier to just make one 6 ohm version. That tweeter is the same as yours except with a 6 ohm voice coil.
Here's my tweeter

https://imgur.com/a/k1vRo

It says 6 ohm right on it unlike the one above. The one on Madisound indicates it's a 6 ohm nominal. Seems more likely that the tweeter is the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here's my tweeter

https://imgur.com/a/k1vRo

It says 6 ohm right on it unlike the one above. The one on Madisound indicates it's a 6 ohm nominal. Seems more likely that the tweeter is the same.
I wonder if that's the -06 after 1477 in mine? Mine am not sure of original sell date, as I bought used 6-7 years ago or so and can't find the paperwork the previous owner gave me; I have s/n's 95000161/2 (and the center is 170 :) ). No indication of impedance marked elsewhere either, just checked.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is. Just buy one and stop pissing about!
FWIW here's what Dave says about customization on his site's forum (and I noticed my waveguides pop out btw).

"Time to discuss the Sierra tweeter...

In order to realize our goal of reducing the negative acoustic effects caused by each loudspeaker component, the Sierra would require a special tweeter. In addition to my typical requirements (linear on- and off-axis response and excellent extension), I demanded an exceptionally clean spectral decay combined with very low distortion. Of course, our good friends at SEAS of Norway were once again up to the task.

SEAS engineers recommended a new tweeter currently under development that I could customize to suit Ascend’s needs. Of course, this new tweeter took a bit longer than expected, but the first samples finally arrived and the results were very impressive. This new tweeter has a few unique features. It contains an integrated slightly elliptical wave guide made of flexible and absorbent elastomer. The subtle shaping helps control the off-axis response and aids in the reduction of diffraction, while the elastomer material helps absorb stray high-frequency wavelengths. The wave guide insert also has the added benefit of covering the magnet assembly screws, thus eliminating the pesky reflections these cause.

The tweeter also contains an extremely wide integrated surround (the part of the tweeter that attaches the dome to the faceplate). This serves to better dampen the dome, thus reducing various resonances and break-up modes.

We added our own customizations to this already superb tweeter to further improve performance.

The final result is a tweeter with an extremely impressive spectral decay. Both harmonic and IM distortion are extremely low and the frequency response is smooth and linear both on- and off-axis. This tweeter is incredibly natural sounding, with a clear and detailed character that is crisp without ever being fatiguing. It literally oozes that magical “airy” sound that is so elusive yet critical to a high-end loudspeaker.

Tweeter Features:
  • Fully manufactured by SEAS of Norway
  • 26mm high-definition pre-coated fabric dome
  • Fully integrated slightly elliptical wave guide made from elastomer to reduce diffraction and control off-axis response
  • Integrated wide surround for reducing resonance and break-up modes
  • Low viscosity magnetic fluid for improved power handling and damping
  • Pole piece damping chamber to absorb back-wave reflections and lower the resonance frequency
  • Exceptionally clean spectral decay and low distortion for greater detail and improved accuracy"

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

FWIW here's what Dave says about customization on his site's forum (and I noticed my waveguides pop out btw).

"Time to discuss the Sierra tweeter...

In order to realize our goal of reducing the negative acoustic effects caused by each loudspeaker component, the Sierra would require a special tweeter. In addition to my typical requirements (linear on- and off-axis response and excellent extension), I demanded an exceptionally clean spectral decay combined with very low distortion. Of course, our good friends at SEAS of Norway were once again up to the task.

SEAS engineers recommended a new tweeter currently under development that I could customize to suit Ascend’s needs. Of course, this new tweeter took a bit longer than expected, but the first samples finally arrived and the results were very impressive. This new tweeter has a few unique features. It contains an integrated slightly elliptical wave guide made of flexible and absorbent elastomer. The subtle shaping helps control the off-axis response and aids in the reduction of diffraction, while the elastomer material helps absorb stray high-frequency wavelengths. The wave guide insert also has the added benefit of covering the magnet assembly screws, thus eliminating the pesky reflections these cause.

The tweeter also contains an extremely wide integrated surround (the part of the tweeter that attaches the dome to the faceplate). This serves to better dampen the dome, thus reducing various resonances and break-up modes.

We added our own customizations to this already superb tweeter to further improve performance.

The final result is a tweeter with an extremely impressive spectral decay. Both harmonic and IM distortion are extremely low and the frequency response is smooth and linear both on- and off-axis. This tweeter is incredibly natural sounding, with a clear and detailed character that is crisp without ever being fatiguing. It literally oozes that magical “airy” sound that is so elusive yet critical to a high-end loudspeaker.

Tweeter Features:
  • Fully manufactured by SEAS of Norway
  • 26mm high-definition pre-coated fabric dome
  • Fully integrated slightly elliptical wave guide made from elastomer to reduce diffraction and control off-axis response
  • Integrated wide surround for reducing resonance and break-up modes
  • Low viscosity magnetic fluid for improved power handling and damping
  • Pole piece damping chamber to absorb back-wave reflections and lower the resonance frequency
  • Exceptionally clean spectral decay and low distortion for greater detail and improved accuracy"
What a load of BS! I would bet that Sierra tweeter is a stock tweeter identical to all of them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no idea on how the custom surround or other tweaks may effect the parameters. I'm just trying to learn something here....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis