gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
There is no special GB or discounts that I'm aware of for the A1b bookshelfs. Only for those in the A5 GB. Everyone else can purchase them just like the normal models already available. $299 plus shipping is usually $20ish for the bookshelfs and I think I paid $31 each shipping for the A2 LCR's, which I just ordered earlier in the weeks.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Hopefully within the next couple months I'll have a chance to hear the A5's via a member of the GB. I was pretty ineterest in these, in particular the tweets, before I bought my Energy's. No real regrets, but I'm looking forward to the audition.

Who knows.;)

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Those are very mediocre looking speaker,could have done better for the cabinets. Seems like there is some cost cutting in that cabinet in my opinion but they may good. Many speakers on the markets sound rather decent.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Those are very mediocre looking speaker,could have done better for the cabinets. Seems like there is some cost cutting in that cabinet in my opinion but they may good. Many speakers on the markets sound rather decent.
I don't know about the A5, but the other Arx models I own have better cabinets than some more expensive speakers I've owned. I've taken apart many speakers and subwoofers. I couldn't really find anything that screamed short cut with the Arx, theres some other brand(s) that I've owned that was very sloppy and lacked the basics. The cabinets are the basic .75" thick MDF with center braces, very neat and clean crossovers, and the veneer/vinyl is of same quality as other brands entry level vinyls, similar to SVS's black oak veneer and Axioms black oak/black ash vinyl. Theres brands out there that are more expensive and have hollow cabinets no bracing any where.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Ok, the basic maybe construction maybe good, but the look of it seems has come from 20 years ago. Also no flush mount tweeter, no rounded edge. It just doesnt look appealing.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Ok, the basic maybe construction maybe good, but the look of it seems has come from 20 years ago. Also no flush mount tweeter, no rounded edge. It just doesnt look appealing.
The planar tweeter is flush mount its recessed into the cabinet the entire faceplate. But I agree the look might not be for everyone. I put sound quality above looks. Some put looks above sound or size, just look how good Bose sells. We are talking budget speakers though so something has to give, to meet price point/profit short cuts have to be made. Cheap quality drivers or hollow cabinets. ect...

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hopefully within the next couple months I'll have a chance to hear the A5's via a member of the GB. I was pretty ineterest in these, in particular the tweets, before I bought my Energy's. No real regrets, but I'm looking forward to the audition.

Who knows.;)
Nom, looking forward to your impressions :)

ahblaza

ahblaza

My Ascends 340's are not the most attractive speaker in the world, but take a look inside and you will see where the money was spent, cabs are well braced and damped, well thought and designed Xover, very good drivers, easy to drive with plenty of output and they sound good to me. Asthetics are secondary to me ( I may be in the minority) performance to price is primary. Ascend and ARX do not come out with new models every six months to fill gaps in their product line like so many other companies, ie: Dave at Ascends decided that he could not design and build a subwoofer as good as or less expensive than the Rthymiks so he partnered with them. Dave finds what works and stays with that philosophy, he has improved on the model of his speakers over the years but has not introduced new speaker models, the ST's are an all out assault of the Sierra 1's technology. I believe Jon Lane of ARX shares this philosophy along with others like Dennis murphy and Jim Salk.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
My Ascends 340's are not the most attractive speaker in the world, but take a look inside and you will see where the money was spent, cabs are well braced and damped, well thought and designed Xover, very good drivers, easy to drive with plenty of output and they sound good to me. Asthetics are secondary to me ( I may be in the minority) performance to price is primary. Ascend and ARX do not come out with new models every six months to fill gaps in their product line like so many other companies, ie: Dave at Ascends decided that he could not design and build a subwoofer as good as or less expensive than the Rthymiks so he partnered with them. Dave finds what works and stays with that philosophy, he has improved on the model of his speakers over the years but has not introduced new speaker models, the ST's are an all out assault of the Sierra 1's technology. I believe Jon Lane of ARX shares this philosophy along with others like Dennis murphy and Jim Salk.
Seriously, those ascend 340 look better. maybe im just not into such boxy speaker. They look like my 20 year Altec's.
But i guess for the price may hard to beat.
I couldnt find anything on the drivers, do you some how know anything about them?

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I couldnt find anything on the drivers, do you some how know anything about them?
I don't know where the drivers are made, I assume China like everything else in the world. But, the drivers look like a 5.25" version of the Exodus Anarchy driver just with a truncated frame vs. round frame.

One thing you'll noticed on TAI site is how Jon mentions VALUE over and over. I remember Jon saying something along the lines of high end radical technology wrapped in a brown paper bag.

Neo magnets are used for the tweeters and neo prices are ridiculously high, so much so that SVS canceled its SB16 subwoofer. Plus the woofers use XBL2/splitgap which has to be licensed for use in the Arx speakers.

ahblaza

ahblaza

I don't know where the drivers are made, I assume China like everything else in the world. But, the drivers look like a 5.25" version of the Exodus Anarchy driver just with a truncated frame vs. round frame.

One thing you'll noticed on TAI site is how Jon mentions VALUE over and over. I remember Jon saying something along the lines of high end radical technology wrapped in a brown paper bag.

Neo magnets are used for the tweeters and neo prices are ridiculously high, so much so that SVS canceled its SB16 subwoofer. Plus the woofers use XBL2/splitgap which has to be licensed for use in the Arx speakers.
gtp, there is a lot of good positive feedback online about the splitgap woofer technology. I would really like to see some measurements and a pic of the Xover which is supposedly a 3rd order design, besides the cab appearance I don't see where costs were cut to make the A5 so affordable, Jon did say not having Bi-Amp capability kept the cost down also.
Jeff :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I am not sure how much philosophy is shared between Jon and the others. In the very least, look how they all treat the usefulness of measurements and providing them.

ahblaza

ahblaza

I am not sure how much philosophy is shared between Jon and the others. In the very least, look how they all treat the usefulness of measurements and providing them.
You make a good point chang, measurements are not the deciding factor for me making a speaker purchase but they certainly do influence my consideration for auditioning them and shows me that the designer has the foresight to at least give more than a glimpse of what to expect. Philosophy was definetely the wrong choice of words here, the "usefulness of measurements and providing them" is much more of an accurate statement, I stand corrected, thank you for the eloquent reply.
Jeff

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis