Are there any DIY subwoofer kits?

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Subwoofers are costly - too costly. You have 2 categories - the <$400 budget subs like the Bic etc, which everyone agrees are not really that good - boomy and no extension. Then you have the 'real' subs starting at $500 such as the SVS PB-1000, and they only go up from there to thousands.

And subwoofers are supposed to be simple right - there's a single driver, no crossover, no fancy design considerations except ported/sealed, all you need is a box, driver and amp.

The DIY guys can build their own subs that match commercial offerings for much less. But I don't have any tools or skills. So I started looking at full kits such as the Dayton kits from PE. But they don't really seem that good of a value, and I'm not saving much if any $$.

Are there any other companies offering full kits that are competitive in price?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It still takes money and skill to build speaker drivers (especially sub drivers that are capable of large excursion and power handling), as well as plate amps. So when you subtract assembly labor, marketing, etc, any of those Dayton kits are an excellent value!

Still can't afford one? Keep saving! 'No subwoofer' is often better than a poor performing one!

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I did some back of napkin maths -

iNuke3000dsp - $250
Stereo Integrity SI H18 driver - $175
misc speaker/cable parts - $25
that comes to $450

+ cost of wood and cost of DIY = ??, this is the part that I cannot do

But it seems this combination should out perform most commercial subs costing $1K to $1.5K ?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I did some back of napkin maths -

iNuke3000dsp - $250
Stereo Integrity SI H18 driver - $175
misc speaker/cable parts - $25
that comes to $450

+ cost of wood and cost of DIY = ??, this is the part that I cannot do

But it seems this combination should out perform most commercial subs costing $1K to $1.5K ?

Just so we're clear, DSP is not plug n play. You have to program the DSP to give the optimal sound. This requires a mic and measurement software. Post up what you build!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
the devil is in details:
I have large open room. I need a rather strong vented sub.
After doing lots of research, I came to a simple conclusion:
After taking into account price of ALL of materials (not just basics - wood, driver, amp) but paint/laminate, tools etc...
I would save $100-200 if I go DIY Route, but it since I've never build anything out of wood in a very long time, it would take me more than few weekends and this point - it becomes a hobby, not really money saving project - aka I could do side projects which would earn me much more than this amount in less time than needed to build a sub.
Plus pros would do with higher quality build anyhow.

So high value subs like ones from: HSU, Reaction and even PSA - especially on seasonal sales are probably better value for me than DIY . again - If you consider this as a hobby - whole different deal...

D

Defcon

Audioholic
TheWarrior, yes I realize I will need to get a mic, learn how to use REW, measure, adjust DSP on the amp etc.

I am reaching the same conclusion as above - the DIY route seems very worthy esp if you build multiple subs since the same amp can be used and cost of materials goes down too. But for a single sub, for someone living in an apartment like me, with no tools, it seems a lot of work even if I use a flatpack which contains precut wood panels. Things like soldering wires, adding the rear connectors, paint/finish etc.

I wish PartsExpress had ported sub kits, they only have sealed.

I also think the big ID subs like PSA/SVS now include digital amps with some sort of DSP built in, I'm sure it can be matched by the iNuke but again it then becomes a learning experience and not really a way to save money.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Dayton kits do not have any form of DSP!
How do they get away with that? Are they reasonable flat as is?
Is the idea that Audyssey will be used to manage the bass?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
People can buy amps with dsp or get something like a minidsp.

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
...So I started looking at full kits such as the Dayton kits from PE. But they don't really seem that good of a value, and I'm not saving much if any $$.
I agree with The Warrior's reply to this, the Dayton kits are an excellent value. I'm speaking as a subwoofer manufacturer.

...for someone living in an apartment like me...

I wish PartsExpress had ported sub kits, they only have sealed.
A good sealed sub may well be a better choice for someone living in an apartment like you, unless you have an open floorplan.

One challenge with ported sub design is, shoe-horning in sufficient port length to get the combination of low tuning frequency and port cross-sectional area (to avoid chuffing) that you need. You seldom see a cube-shaped ported sub for this reason (mine are nearly twice as tall as they are wide to accommodate a down-firing port, which still must use the floor to extend its effective length). Alternatives would be angled ports (which I've found to chuff earlier than expected) and passive radiators (added cost and vibration).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure a kit is really necessary. You need an amp, some wood and a sub. DSPs are nice, but that is a luxury. The amp and driver are gonna set you back about 600 bucks at least. Unless you find a great deal on CL of course.

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
These bucket subs can be put together with no special tools. They're 5 gallon buckets turned upside down with a few inches of concrete in the bottom. The Peerless 10 inch woofers cost $66 each at Parts Express and the 300 watt Yung plate amp goes for a little over $100. Great detailed bass that integrates so easily you don't realize they're playing until you turn them off. Then you realize how thin your speakers sound without them.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
These bucket subs can be put together with no special tools. They're 5 gallon buckets turned upside down with a few inches of concrete in the bottom. The Peerless 10 inch woofers cost $66 each at Parts Express and the 300 watt Yung plate amp goes for a little over $100. Great detailed bass that integrates so easily you don't realize they're playing until you turn them off. Then you realize how thin your speakers sound without them.

Imagine what you could do with a couple of 55 gallon drums with 18's.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Without tools you don't want to get involved in DIY. At the very least you will have to make an opening in the back of the enclosure for either a plate amp or a set of binding posts. My 15" sealed Ultimax cost me a total $465. That included driver, enclosure parts, 300w plate amp, paint, screws and stuffing. The enclosure build required gluing clamps, a saber saw, drill, soldering iron and screwdriver. The result is great sounding sub that has a reasonably flat response in my room except for a bit of a peak at 30 hz and good performance down to 25hz where it starts declining. Since there is little recorded content below 30 hz, it is quite satisfying. The loudest I have played it is 104db and it has no problem dealing with that. Perhaps you have a friend or family member with some tools.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
You really only need a screwdriver, wrenches and a drill. If you want to be cheap, you could buy clamps at Home Depot and keep the tags on them, use them 1 time and return then cleaned up if you happen to get glue on them. I did not use a soldering iron for any of the connections on my DIY Daytons. Just saying.......

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PE kits are pretty well designed. I don't think you can beat them for the price.

Rythmik offers kits, but you need the woodwork. Not sure if a knock down box from PE would work with one.

http://rythmikaudio.com/diy.html

M

Mr.rs4

Audiophyte
Any new DIY subwoofer kits someone can recommend now?
Looking alla SVS quality with depth and high dB.
Use with klipsch and new Denon AVR-X4700h.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
K, this is something I’ve been kicking around.

Pair of these:
Hooked up in series.

Pair of these:

Pair of these:

Last subs you will EVER need.

Period.

Actually, I’ve been considering quads, but that’s for an adventure down the line.

Overkill IS my middle name.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis