Are Pioneer receivers any good? (VSX-70)

M

misterVL

Audioholic Intern
This will be my setup:

Paradigm AMS350 in wall front speakers
Paradigm center 3
Paradigm AMS-150SQ for in ceiling rears
Rhythmic LV12R

I just purchased the VSX-70 for $500. It's 7.2 channels with 90W. I am still deciding about either a 5.1 or a 7.1 system.

Will the VSX-70 have enough power for the paradigm speakers and the subwoofer? And is there any receiver you would recommend over the Pioneer?

Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
With that system you won't be breaking any windows butthat receivershould adequately power those speakers. As for the subwoofer, it'sself powered so the receivers power is a moot point.

I don't really know how effective celing speakers would be for rear surrounds since they are supposed to be mounted behind the listenng area. Being overhead might destroy the effect.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While in ceiling is not ideal but if placed properly (behind listener) it can work. My friend did it with the Studio Paradigm in ceiling models and it sounded surprisingly good. For the front three however, in wall is one of those things I would never recommend.

K

Krush9

Audiophyte
Mark W,
I was considering buying that Pioneer Elite VSX-70 as well, because of the price and Bang for your buck. I have a small space, 13x14x9ft h so it should be fine for my space, and inwalls I will start out with. (Plan to eventually upgrade to Towers for the front stage.

Regarding Ceiling speakers for the rears... If you must go with Ceiling speakers (wife friendly , space savers etc.. There are several Manufacturers that make an Angled speakers that are designed to angle the sound down into the listening area when using inceilings for the "front stage". This same logic should apply to using angled ceiling speakers for your rear stage. They should be closer to having inwalls mounted ON the wall directly behind the listining area... I hope this is the case since that is what I haver purchased for my rears.... basement soon to be complete LOL.

No icon

You may choose an icon for your message from this list
. Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options:
Automatically parse links in text
Will turn Example Domain into Example Domain.
Automatically retrieve titles from external links

Disable smilies in text
If selected, :) will not be replaced with
.HTML
HTML HTML Off HTML On - Convert Linebreaks HTML On - Don't Convert Linebreaks .
Subscription
Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes:
Through my control panel only Instantly, using email Daily, using email Weekly, using email
Rate Thread
Rate this thread with the following value:
Excellent Good Average Bad Terrible You may rate this thread from 1-star (Terrible) to 5-stars (Excellent) if you wish to do so.

Topic Review (Newest First)
10-25-2013, 07:44 PMj_garcia
While in ceiling is not ideal but if placed properly (behind listener) it can work. My friend did it with the Studio Paradigm in ceiling models and it sounded surprisingly good. For the front three however, in wall is one of those things I would never recommend. .10-25-2013, 07:39 PMmarkw
With that system you won't be breaking any windows butthat receivershould adequately power those speakers. As for the subwoofer, it'sself powered so the receivers power is a moot point.

I don't really know how effective celing speakers would be for rear surrounds since they are supposed to be mounted behind the listenng area. Being overhead might destroy the effect. .10-25-2013, 06:39 PMmisterVL
Are Pioneer receivers any good? (VSX-70)

This will be my setup:

Paradigm AMS350 in wall front speakers
Paradigm center 3
Paradigm AMS-150SQ for in ceiling rears
Rhythmic LV12R

I just purchased the VSX-70 for $500. It's 7.2 channels with 90W. I am still deciding about either a 5.1 or a 7.1 system.

Will the VSX-70 have enough power for the paradigm speakers and the subwoofer? And is there any receiver you would recommend over the Pioneer?

Thanks .Posting Permissions
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
code is On
[VIDEO] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Rules
Audioholics Youtube Feed