are my loudspeakers damaged?

G

GaMusic

Audiophyte
Hello guys

I borrowed co-workers loud speakers and mixer for party. About 2 hours into party noticed one of speakers had part of sub pushed in . Its little bubble part of 8 1/2 sub in a loud speaker! Its nor cracked and sound was great rest of night! Will this be ok and will he have problems in future with the small par in middle of sub pushed in? Can this part be pulled out so shape will be correct, or is it better to just leave it? thanks for any help!!!!

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
The litte part thats pushed in is called the dust cap, Pushing them in generally does not affect sound quality according to many people. You can pull them back out with two main methods, The first is using a vacuume. You basically put the vacumme up to it and suck out the dent. This can be kind of dangerous if your not careful. The secone method commonly used is tape, Here is a video of how to do it.

I probably would try and pull it out, yet tell your buddy about it. Personally I'd be pretty dissapointed if I loaned out speakers and that happened. I think if you go to an electronics store and look at the speakers you'll find that dust caps are somehow irresistable to be pressed in. I have been guilty of it myself in my younger days... much younger days. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fredk

Audioholic General
If its the bubble in the middle of the driver, thats a dust cap and it won't affect performance.

It can be popped back out using tape or gentle suction. I think there was a thread here recently giving instructions on what to do.

Edit: Haloeb beat me to it. With a handy link no less!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I would try tape first before attempting to use a vacuum. :eek: You might suck the whole driver into it.

G

GaMusic

Audiophyte
Thanks for quick replies, Iwill try tape already thought of vaccum but didnt want to try that!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis