Are LCD-LED Black levels anywhere near Plasma?

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
This is a continuation of an older thread I created a few months back.

Real quick, Best Buy Geek squad warranty, they cant fix, so I get $500 @ best buy. I would like to keep it under 1K.

I know that Plasma is the best, and Panasonic, then Samsung lead the market in quality and reliability. My problem is I cant find 1080p plasmas under 50" I think that my seating position of 14' away will make for a bad picture. So... lcd or led.

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
14 feet? I sit about 8 feet from a 54" plasma and a 92" projection screen. I only have a 720p projector! It looks awesome. Yes, I can certainly detect some screen door effect on the projector but the point is that 50" at 14 feet is no problem. Too small if you ask me. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm about 6 feet from a 52" samsung. that is about right, I would like it even bigger. Buy the largest screen you can afford! NOBODY, nobody ever says " I wish I had bought a smaller TV"

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Thanks folks. Boy, six feet is really close. I really want to go plasma too. BB has some really nice pannasonics under $800.00 too.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
with $1000 and 14' distance you might want to consider even DLP TVs :eek:

but BB have few Refub units within your budget:
Toshiba - Refurbished 65" Class - LCD - 1080p - 120Hz - HDTV - 65HT2U

Samsung - Refurbished 59" Class - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - 3D HDTV - PN59D550-RB

I'd personally get the plasma (I'm on my 2nd plasma and have 0 regrets btw), but the extra 6" on the LCD will make a difference esp. at 14'

My TV is 55" and my current distance is 8 ft - I could possibly have it even bigger :), but wife wont let me (for now .... muhahaha)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Like i said - I'm a fan of Panasonic Plasmas, but with your budget and distance - 50" imo is just way too small. That 120hz Toshiba 65" is good deal imo (especially for BB)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm just going to add that at 14', you really want to be at the largest possible display possible. A 64" Samsung or 65" Panasonic is not at all unreasonable. For front projection, you would be at about a 133" diagonal for optimal immersion.

In our new home, I'm thinking about the 90" Sharp for viewing from 12'-14' typically.

There is almost no such thing as to big, but at 14', going under 60" is starting to push to small rather quickly.

Not sure what it takes, but if you have room to stretch the budget some, I would strongly encourage you to buy the largest freakin' TV you possibly can. Your distance truly asks for it.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
What mode did you use to calibrate? I might be getting my spears and munsil back today.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
My set has THX mode and that's what I used. If yours doesn't have that then Cinema is probably the most accurate setting out of the box.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Thanks HiHo. I have Cinema mode, no THX. Spears and Munsil in hand. Time to walk the dog then calibrate.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Im really having a hard time with this. I cant get the PLUGE Low adjusted.It seems like this Panel doesn't get bright enough.

Any thoughts?

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Im going to best buy to check out this Samsung tonight.
pn51e530a3fxa

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I almost bought that model you bought. I'm leaning towards a ST30 or GT30 models myself right now. A TV station tech told me Panasonics are the best TV models out there.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I am at about 15 feet. My 120" is nice, but sometimes I feel like I could have gone bigger.
I would go bigger if your budget lets you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis