Are Higher End Towers Worth it for HT?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, my towers are $6K each x 5 towers. So I think it's worth the money for HT & music. :D

But for most people who already have good speakers (the OP has Aperion Grand Towers $2,300/pr), it may not be worth the money depending on the new speakers.
I'm getting new LCR speakers and my was going to move my current mains (804 matrix) to the rear, but everyone keeps telling me it's a waste so I was going to give them to my son and buy a decent pair of book shelf spkrs for the rear.

So my question to you...at $6k ea obviously these are very nice speakers, do you feel the rear towers make your system that much better?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I had 3 towers behind my screen and it sounded great. I had dual subs on either side of the screen so bass was nice and smooth, but the towers may have helped in the bass department, but I think bookshelf speakers would have integrated just as well.

I will say I'm with the others in saying that the current towers the OP has are already pretty great so upgrading them for a movie only system seems like a waste.

If this system doubles for music then maybe not.

2channel lover

I had 3 towers behind my screen and it sounded great. I had dual subs on either side of the screen so bass was nice and smooth, but the towers may have helped in the bass department, but I think bookshelf speakers would have integrated just as well.

I will say I'm with the others in saying that the current towers the OP has are already pretty great so upgrading them for a movie only system seems like a waste.

If this system doubles for music then maybe not.
Just for HT...I'd keep the current speakers as well...certainly wouldn't invest $8k for an upgrade unless the room was just enormous.

I just don't know if towers in the rear offer much benefit in a HT since most of the output is sound effects...so far, the answer I'm getting is they don't.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm getting new LCR speakers and my was going to move my current mains (804 matrix) to the rear, but everyone keeps telling me it's a waste so I was going to give them to my son and buy a decent pair of book shelf spkrs for the rear.

So my question to you...at $6k ea obviously these are very nice speakers, do you feel the rear towers make your system that much better?
For my system and room (22'W x 26'L x 14'H), the answer is YES. But only for improved BASS.

Each of the five SX-T2N/R towers consists of the Top SX-T1/R cabinet speaker + the Bottom SX-1010N/R subwoofer.

Thus, my 2 rear towers also serve as dedicated subwoofers: RBH SX-1010N/R subwoofers x 2.

So the main reason was for having 5 identical subwoofers around the room and 5 identical speakers around the room for smooth integration.

In terms of just surround sound, I don't think having $12K/pr of speakers is necessary. But I wanted more bass around the room.

Of course, having $12K/pr surround speakers won't hurt the sound, especially for larger rooms. :D

And, of course, I could have also used less expensive surround speakers + added subwoofers in the rears. But I wanted all 5 identical speakers (and subwoofers).

Last edited:

2channel lover

For my system, the answer is YES. But only for improved BASS.

Each of the five SX-T2N/R towers consists of the Top SX-T1/R cabinet speaker + the Bottom SX-1010N/R subwoofer.

Thus, my 2 rear towers also serve as dedicated subwoofers: RBH SX-1010N/R subwoofers x 2.

So the main reason was for having 5 identical subwoofers around the room and 5 identical speakers around the room for smooth integration.

In terms of just surround sound, I don't think having $12K/pr of speakers is necessary. But I wanted more bass around the room.

Of course, having $12K/pr surround speakers won't hurt the sound. :D

And, of course, I could have also used less expensive surround speakers + added subwoofers in the rears. But I wanted all 5 identical speakers (and subwoofers).
Noted, I do get you on the bass. My neighbor's HT system...5 B&W 805s, and 4 subs...two in the back...killer system with 5 book shelf spkrs.

My son is into music so I think I'm going to give him my current mains and just go with book shelfs in the rear...I will have 2 subs...16x20x9 space but open to other spaces so I'm hoping 2 will do the trick.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Noted, I do get you on the bass. My neighbor's HT system...5 B&W 805s, and 4 subs...two in the back...killer system with 5 book shelf spkrs.

My son is into music so I think I'm going to give him my current mains and just go with book shelfs in the rear...I will have 2 subs...16x20x9 space but open to other spaces so I'm hoping 2 will do the trick.
I have two 15" subs and my space is a bit larger. They do the trick. I have plenty of bass.

2channel lover

I have two 15" subs and my space is a bit larger. They do the trick. I have plenty of bass.
Yeah, I've seen the pics of your setup...nice.

I'm starting with two 15" as well...shooting for mid June to take delivery on those.

My neighbor I was mentioning...his space is in a large basement room...based on my space, I'm guessing his is roughly 24x30x10 with 4 walls and a door so he could probably have done okay with 2 subs also...I think he has 12" sealed units.

2channel lover

My ears still haven't completely recovered from that exhibit.

It was pretty sweet.
Awesome...couldn't make it myself, but wanting to see if you got by the Schiit/Salk booth...if so, your thoughts on the Song3-A and Encore.

As it stands now, I'm ordering a pair of the 3-A.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis