Are current AV receivers compatible with forthcoming Blu Ray/HD DVD players?

hail

hail

Audiophyte
I intend to purchase the new Denon 3806, but I would like to know if I will be able to use it wit forthcoming Blu Ray or HD DVD players. If this receiver is not compatible, is there any receiver compatible with them?
Thank you.

Last edited:
W

w.e-coyote

Audioholic Intern
Yes, they will be compatible. Question is however to what degree and in which format. You will certainly be able to use the players with the analog outputs even in HD mode (YPbPr). Using HDMI I think you'll also be able to use them. It would not make sense for CE-manufacturers to release products into the market which have cost LOTS of money if no-one can use on existing devices.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
hail said:
I intend to purchase the new Denon 3806, but I would like to know if I will be able to use it wit forthcoming Blu Ray or HD DVD players. If this receiver is not compatible, is there any receiver compatible with them?
Thank you.
Until they actually come out, it is impossible to be certain, as there can always be last minute changes. If they have a built in digital to analog converter for all channels in the player, you can use the multichannel analog input on your receiver for playback. Of course, they could decide on more channels, in which case you would need additional amplification and speakers for them. If this is a real worry for you, I would recommend sticking with what you have for now, unless what you have is no longer working.

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
Like current SACD\DVD-A players, digital audio through optical or coax digital will probably not be possible. I suspect that audio from BR\HD-DVD players will initially be either FireWire or multi-channel analog outs, with HDMI support following. Just a guess. Then again, its really more the video that they are trying to protect, so who knows, maybe they will allow unprotected digital out.

Any receiver with a Firewire and\or multichannel analog input should be fine.

hail

hail

Audiophyte
So, in principle only analog connection is possible, ins't it?
And what about HDMI, is not possible?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
hail said:
So, in principle only analog connection is possible, ins't it?
And what about HDMI, is not possible?

I am sure it will be backwards compatible for DD/DTS or they will loose out on a large market, all of it. Especially when the audio on movies are in that format even though the blue laser will accept no compression audio as well.

According to Dolby the new players will be considerably backwards compatible. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. Worst case scenario has you listening to a Dolby Digital or DTS track with the player also capable of outputting the higher resolution formats via HDMI.

They are being smart in that aspect. As for analogue video output, I doubt that anything other than 480p wil come out of component video outputs, but that should at least be available to facilitate backwards compatibility. Many people will be using 1080i/720p output via HDMI (of course the early adopters will be using 1080p over HDMI since they will no doubt have the latest displays.)

I think the game console manufacturers may determine a lot in terms of how fast the market picks it up.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HD-DVD and Blu Ray compatibility

Video - Yes
Audio - ???
While HDMI video formats used by the new players are all included in the current 1.1 spec, the new audio formats are not. The new players will include Dolby-HD and DTS formats with 7 or more discrete channels. I am not aware of any receiver that currently suports these new Audio formats. Also, a new version of the HDMI spec or a IEEE 1394 port would be required to send the digital audio signal to the receiver.
The HDMI 1.1 available on current receivers doesn't even suport SACD, so it will be a while before they incorporate HD audio formats.
Buy a receiver with the features you need right now. In the next couple years HDMI, HD-DVD, and Blu Ray will become more mature and the new audio formats will be supported.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Disgusted by all this!!!

I need to upgrade my Kenwood 7030 circa 1991-92 (I think). TV is ok, Music and dynamic movies are out of the question with my LSi15's at anything but a whisper. I need more power. The Yamaha 2600 was looking good....but obsolete in 2-3 years.

Am I better off to pick up a couple of power amps and line level converters(ouch!) or a use my even older kenwood preamp to get through the next few years? I can't blow $1000+ every few years. I was trying to build a decent system that would last for the next ten years. Thats about the life pro-logic and DD has had correct?

Was the adoption of S/PDIF such a hassle with 1.0, 1.1, 1.2,.....10.9 roll out over years? Was there 7 versions of component video?

I even feel like my HDTV purchase was in vain. If you don't like the NFL or MLB or crappy primetime sitcoms 98% of HD programming is missed.

Watch INHD and Discovery HD theater for a month and you have seen anything of interest to you 5 times. HBO HD should be called 3-5 year old 2 star movie channel.

If you are lucky enough to find some program your interested in HD you better hope it's not on the Comcast roving super compressed channel of the evening with all the macroblocking and sound drops you can handle.

I love the UFC and INHD shows 2-4 behind the current one and they look great. Ordering the current one on PPV with the HDTV and HDTV tuner box gets you the UFC in glorious SD.

How about ABC or TNT. Apparrently distorted SD is better than SD

Flip to an analog channel and my old sony 27" and SA TiVO blows my HDTV out of the water for picture quality.

So I want to ditch Comcast and get Direct TV but have to WAIT for the new hardware!

Sorry for the off topic rant,
Ironlung

Last edited:
hail

hail

Audiophyte
jcPanny said:
Video - Yes
Audio - ???
While HDMI video formats used by the new players are all included in the current 1.1 spec, the new audio formats are not.
Also, a new version of the HDMI spec or a IEEE 1394 port would be required to send the digital audio signal to the receiver.
The HDMI 1.1 available on current receivers doesn't even suport SACD, so it will be a while before they incorporate HD audio formats.
And do you know if it is possible to send digital audio through iLink or so?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis