ARC Question. How do you use it?

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I'm still new to ARC but form what I understand, ARC works best when everything is connected to the TV via HDMI and not the receiver. Is this correct? I'd rather have it all going through the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ARC is a way of using a single hdmi cord between your avr and tv, and is to enable audio from the tv back to the avr. Both units have to be ARC capable; generally you need to enable HDMI-CEC in each unit as well. Sometimes the audio exported from the tv is limited to 2.0, depending on how the tv is sourcing and processing audio for output. Different brands don't play so well together sometimes. There are audio limitations, basically the same limitations as using optical or coax connections (lossy codecs) when using HDMI ARC and sometimes it's better to simply use those connections rather than HDMI for audio, especially if your units don't play nicely (my avr and tv didn't).

Dave Blount

Dave Blount

Junior Audioholic
ARC .......Audio Research Corporation, great company, I've enjoyed their products for many years .......

Sorry, just an ounce of levity ..... but I am serious about WZJ's former company.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
How do you use it?
I don't. It's more trouble than it's worth. You have to enable HDMI control and that can cause all sorts of strange issues. If you have a universal remote system then forget about it. As has already been pointed out, ARC is limited to 2.0 stereo. You're better off connecting all the devices to the receiver. If you need audio from the TV then use an optical cable. Even better yet, don't worry about audio from the TV and use one of the many superior streaming boxes that are available.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't. It's more trouble than it's worth. You have to enable HDMI control and that can cause all sorts of strange issues. If you have a universal remote system then forget about it. As has already been pointed out, ARC is limited to 2.0 stereo. You're better off connecting all the devices to the receiver. If you need audio from the TV then use an optical cable. Even better yet, don't worry about audio from the TV and use one of the many superior streaming boxes that are available.
ARC is not limited to 2.0 stereo. It may be limited by the tv for some content/connections, but it can pass the 5.1 lossy codecs fine.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I should rephrase that. It's technically not limited to 2.0 stereo but in every application I have tried I could not get anything more than 2.0 stereo.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
ARC is a way of using a single hdmi cord between your avr and tv, and is to enable audio from the tv back to the avr.
Why enable AUDIO from a TV back to an AVR? Ok, I'm stupid, don't understand that concept. My TV is merely a MONITOR for video, nothing more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why enable AUDIO from a TV back to an AVR? Ok, I'm stupid, don't understand that concept. My TV is merely a MONITOR for video, nothing more.
Some like to use their tv as a receiver of sorts for other sources, but even if you don't do that, tv's have OTA (over the air) content as well as internet apps like Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

Personally that's how I use my tv most of the time, as a monitor...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
ARC should not be used. It's a feature, that was very poorly designed and implemented.

Hook all your sources to your A/V receiver, then run HDMI from your receiver to the TV. If you have some audio that's in your TV that you want back at the A/V receiver, then I would use optical audio out from the TV, if available, and run that into the A/V receiver.

If I wanted my 'Smart Apps' on the TV to work, and the TV doesn't have an audio output other than ARC, I would buy a Roku and use that instead.

There's just no world in which enabling HDMI-CEC makes sense because of how flawed it is.

Really, your A/V receiver should have audio setting called 'ARC' and when you switch your TV to an input other than input 1 (ARC), then it will automatically start pumping audio down the connected ARC line. It should not need or utilize HDMI-CEC in any way. But, that's the absurdity known as HDMI.org

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm still new to ARC but form what I understand, ARC works best when everything is connected to the TV via HDMI and not the receiver. Is this correct? I'd rather have it all going through the receiver.
You can try it, but I would bet that it's more trouble than it's worth.

Equipment manufacturers want to sit at the adult table WRT controlling equipment and someone came up with the bright idea to make the TV tell the AVR to turn on and go to the TV input. The wheels fall off when someone already has a way to control everything that works. Then, the TV manufacturers decided to add streaming and not necessarily provide all of the needed surround options to whatever output jacks they have. You only have HDMI, many have an optical output and that requires another connection.

ARC can be used without CEC and CEC should be turned off. AVR manufacturers tell us this every time to go for training.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Why turn it off (just curious)?

You can try it, but I would bet that it's more trouble than it's worth.

Equipment manufacturers want to sit at the adult table WRT controlling equipment and someone came up with the bright idea to make the TV tell the AVR to turn on and go to the TV input. The wheels fall off when someone already has a way to control everything that works. Then, the TV manufacturers decided to add streaming and not necessarily provide all of the needed surround options to whatever output jacks they have. You only have HDMI, many have an optical output and that requires another connection.

ARC can be used without CEC and CEC should be turned off. AVR manufacturers tell us this every time to go for training.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I turned mine off because it always wanted to switch my avr input to tv, whereas I use a different input for my tv....

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
The above posts are all good advice for you. I would listen to them. I tried ARC on my receiver and found out you have to enable HDMI control to get this to work, which has already been stated, causes other weird issues. If you have to get audio back to your receiver from the TV, just use an optical digital cable.

highfigh

highfigh

Why turn it off (just curious)?
If you have TV and AVR with CEC turned on and might like to watch the news while radio, CD, phono or some other audio source plays, you'll find out. As a Custom Integrator or for someone whose system is too complex to juggle all of the remotes, it's far easier to use one remote and since those use discrete commands for everything that allows it, making the AVR switch to an input that doesn't have the video from an HDMI causes it to switch back to the HDMI because it has been programmed to look for the digital signal first.

Last edited:
connor ross

connor ross

Enthusiast
only times I would use ARC is if you have an overair antenna connected directly to your tv(I still use spdif output from tv to avr for overair 5.1 surround sound)or you don't have 2 hdmi outs on your blueray player and don't want to add extra latency but routing though avr . Best bet is to run everthing via hdmi input to avr and output to your tv in most cases.

highfigh

highfigh

only times I would use ARC is if you have an overair antenna connected directly to your tv(I still use spdif output from tv to avr for overair 5.1 surround sound)or you don't have 2 hdmi outs on your blueray player and don't want to add extra latency but routing though avr . Best bet is to run everthing via hdmi input to avr and output to your tv in most cases.
ARC can be left on, it's CEC that causes problems but sometimes, the manufacturer only allows using them together.

Your last sentence covers it, but the TV manufacturers don't care- they would rather sell a sound bar and sub, too.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I guess I don't understand, ARC works great for me, I like turning on the TV and then all my equipment. Not too complicated at all IMO. It runs through my Pre/Pro

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Some like to use their tv as a receiver of sorts for other sources, but even if you don't do that, tv's have OTA (over the air) content as well as internet apps like Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

Personally that's how I use my tv most of the time, as a monitor...
To you and Mr Magoo.

My display is mostly my display with the sole exception of the Netflix App which resides on the the Samsung. Its the only source for Netflix that I have in my main system. I know my Yamaha doesn't support ARC and I don't think my Samsung does either. I therefore use its Optical out to provide 5.1 lossy to my AVR. Its not lossless but definately beats stereo.

Mr lovinthehd, you did sum it up nicely. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To you and Mr Magoo.

My display is mostly my display with the sole exception of the Netflix App which resides on the the Samsung. Its the only source for Netflix that I have in my main system. I know my Yamaha doesn't support ARC and I don't think my Samsung does either. I therefore use its Optical out to provide 5.1 lossy to my AVR. Its not lossless but definately beats stereo.

Mr lovinthehd, you did sum it up nicely. :)
Thanks :) Since the optical gives you the same audio possibilities (no lossless) that ARC can, you're not missing anything. I originally used my Netflix app in the tv when it was new until I realized the audio limitations (2.0 only) and then went with the apps in my PS3 and blu-ray players.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I don't understand, ARC works great for me, I like turning on the TV and then all my equipment. Not too complicated at all IMO. It runs through my Pre/Pro
I like the Harmony remotes, just push one macro button and it turns on all the right units and sets them to the correct inputs (as opposed to what ARC wanted to do) for whatever activity I want....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis