Arc hdmi question tv/receiver

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I guess I am a little late to the party. My TV has ARC in HDMI one input and my Integra 30.5 has the HDMI OUT/ARC.

Question:
My TV is a SMART TV so I have HULU/AMAZON PRIME/NETFLIX etc built in. Right now I am outputting sound from those apps on my TV to my receiver via an optical out. If I setup my TV for HDMI ARC will I be able to get sound from the TV out to my receiver, or do I still have to use the optical?

This obviously isn't a problem for my cable tv because that inputs directly to my receiver. The problem is when the sound originates from my TV via those apps and then needs to be sent to receiver.

I hope I worded this correctly.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. You mentioned your Integra DTR-30.5 which (at least in your signature) is paired with a Sony KDL-40Z5100, but I'm assuming that you're talking about your Sony XBR. The Sony XBR certainly does have ARC, and the XBR manual specifically states on page 14 that the optical cable is only needed if your receiver doesn't have ARC. So, with the XBR, you just need the HDMI connection and won't need the optical cable.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks, and I just switched out my Sony 40Z5100 for a LG 47LN5700 which does have ARC, got that TV new for 675 so too good a deal to pass up. Even though the Sony still has an awesome picture. I will say Smart TVs have come a long way.

Thanks for the help, I need to play around with my settings because I couldn't get it to work.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the new TV!

Oddly, the LG manual doesn't mention using ARC for making a connection to an external audio device - only the optical cable. However, it does mention it in the menu system. If you haven't already, make sure that you set the "SMART - Settings - SOUND - Sound Out" option to "External Speaker (Optical/HDMI ARC)."

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
That's what I tried. I made sure that both my Integra and the settings of the TV were for ARC as you stated, no luck. I called LG tech support, LOL what a mistake I don't even think the guy on the other line knew what ARC was and stated LG recommends using the Optical Out. Not a big deal but I would like to have one less cable if possible. Will try it again tonight, it might be a setting on the receiver I missed, not sure.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Darn. Too bad it wasn't that easy. :)

Do you know if the HDMI cable that you're using works with ARC?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis