AR Turntable XB Model

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
How in the world did you end up with a free turntable by calling to find out where Radio Shack was located?

Congrats, btw! Excellent scores.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The wake I was to attend with my common law wife was in Cranston. I was early and called my common law brother in law to ask where a Rat Shack was. He asked what I needed. I told him and he said, "You want a TT?"

His son is in a band and one of the members had the TT thrown in with a speaker deal and didn't want it. I don't know. I didn't need three of them but it's kinda cool. :D

I also stopped at a Bakery and got some desserts. I was trying to make up my mind and a couple of 'regular Italian guys' came in. I let them go first and just got everything they ordered right down to the loaf of Sicilian bread unsliced and had the girl throw in these Bismark things. I'm really looking forward to something called a Zay-puh-la. Last week my suit fit for the wedding ... not this week for a funeral. :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You're making me hungry. Outside of ordering pizza, I'm looking at cereal.

Papa John's does owe me two large pizzas after screwing up my last order, so maybe...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The wake I was to attend with my common law wife was in Cranston. I was early and called my common law brother in law to ask where a Rat Shack was. He asked what I needed. I told him and he said, "You want a TT?"

His son is in a band and one of the members had the TT thrown in with a speaker deal and didn't want it. I don't know. I didn't need three of them but it's kinda cool. :D

I also stopped at a Bakery and got some desserts. I was trying to make up my mind and a couple of 'regular Italian guys' came in. I let them go first and just got everything they ordered right down to the loaf of Sicilian bread unsliced and had the girl throw in these Bismark things. I'm really looking forward to something called a Zay-puh-la. Last week my suit fit for the wedding ... not this week for a funeral. :eek:
Alex... did I ever tell you I hate your monkey thumbnail? :D

I have bad memories of monkies. Between ages 12-17, my mom had 3 monkeys (two squirrel monkies and a capuchin), and let me tell you, no animal is more nasty/disgusting than a monkey. They coat EVERYTHING (their cages, pillows, etc,) in feces. I shudder when I see your big grinning capuchin monkey thumbnail icon staring back at me....

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Alex... did I ever tell you I hate your monkey thumbnail? :D

I have bad memories of monkies. Between ages 12-17, my mom had 3 monkeys (two squirrel monkies and a capuchin), and let me tell you, no animal is more nasty/disgusting than a monkey. They coat EVERYTHING (their cages, pillows, etc,) in feces. I shudder when I see your big grinning capuchin monkey thumbnail icon staring back at me....

-Chris
It's always a delight when Chris reveals a little something about himself that isn't directly related to audio.:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
let me tell you, no animal is more nasty/disgusting than a monkey. They coat EVERYTHING (their cages, pillows, etc,) in feces.
What did you think I was doing on the other side of that tree line when you came out into the yard and couldn't find me? ... adding to my rock collection? :D

Actually I was adding to my rock collection. I didn't want to go into it at the time.
It seemed a little weird. :)

Chris get's out in the yard and it's like he's yelling, "Where are you?" Then of course there was the, "What are you doing?" :D I didn't want him to get the sense that I had a few screws loose and worry. :rolleyes: :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You have a rock collection? The surprises never end. :D

Got any good fossils?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You have a rock collection? The surprises never end. :D
It's not that kind of rock collection. I like to pick up a rock and hang onto it to sort of help remind me of where I got it. Right now I have 6 rocks and a sea shell. I thought I would like to use them in a miniature Japanese rock garden one day. I had to down size the collection because some rocks were too big and didn't fit in the ... here, this is easier.

All these things are reminders of unlikely or special events.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The poor metal elephant looks trapped. I'm trying to decide if the happy-looking beheaded fake snake is there to help it...or is assigned to keep it contained.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The poor metal elephant looks trapped. I'm trying to decide if the happy-looking beheaded fake snake is there to help it...or is assigned to keep it contained.
Ah ... the snake ... let me tell you a story. :)

My wife and I were on Myrtle Beach, SC. I went for a walk along the shore and found that snake head. During my mile long hike back to our blanket I figured out a way to hold that thing like this:

When I got back to our blanket I was cradling my hand until my wife asked what was wrong. I told her I got bit by something. When she asked to see it I thrust the finger impersonating snake head at her like a Cobra Strike. I thought she was gonna sh!t all over the beach doing the backwards crab like it was an Olympic event and screaming her head off.

Yeah ... good times. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
To be here after referred to as Walter's TT or The TT. :)

Looks good, right?

This is plain cool lookin'.

Problem is it don't work. (my grammer's broke too)

The last 2 images are of the motor and cap plus a lone cap (I think).

It worked real slow for half a minute and then expired but the motor still made a humming noise and quivered a little. I pulled the plug and euthanized it. What to do? What to do? :)
Try replacing the cap. (Not the one on the motor). I have two of those turntables, One is rough the other good. I'm sure I can sort you out for parts, or make you up a good worker, if you want one of those fine old AR turntables.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Alex
I added a few pictures of the Carver on my photobucket that I am getting out to you this week. I know this works because I have been torchering this amp for the last couple of days and it's holding up just fine. Not a bad sounding amp.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Try replacing the cap. (Not the one on the motor). I have two of those turntables, One is rough the other good. I'm sure I can sort you out for parts, or make you up a good worker, if you want one of those fine old AR turntables.
Wow, I'm really glad to have a TT you consider worth while. Somewhere down the line I would like to replace the vinyl covered presswood with some African Mahogany but for now making it work will do. I bought mylar replacement caps for it yesterday. Is there some reason not to replace the cap by the motor?

Thanks for chiming in here.
-Alex

Alex
I added a few pictures of the Carver on my photobucket that I am getting out to you this week. I know this works because I have been torchering this amp for the last couple of days and it's holding up just fine. Not a bad sounding amp.
Hang onto that for a bit until we can figure out a way to do this in person or maybe we can rope Rick into this love fest. I would hate to see it get bonked by the Delivery Monkeys. I have seen them in action and it's frightening. I'll be headed out to pick up speakers soon enough too. Anything is better than shipping it. Would you mind providing the model number so that I can read up on it a little?

Thanks again,
Alex

Edit: Glad to see this thread back on track ... Adam. :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's sad that AR is no longer in business as it was, now it's just some Audiovox crap brand.:(

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Hang onto that for a bit until we can figure out a way to do this in person or maybe we can rope Rick into this love fest. I would hate to see it get bonked by the Delivery Monkeys. I have seen them in action and it's frightening. I'll be headed out to pick up speakers soon enough too. Anything is better than shipping it. Would you mind providing the model number so that I can read up on it a little?
It's the C-500 poweramp. I might be able to locate the Pre-Amp if it's still around. I'll check on it.
http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2216
http://www.review33.com/2ndhand/index.php?topic=31090812122651

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Let me know when you will pick up the AMP , maybe we can all take Walter out for lunch and some fake beer, as I need to grab some POLKS, nothing wrong with fake beer, ;)
It could be real cool to meet all of you at the same time.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... nothing wrong with fake beer ...
... except the taste and lack of alcohol. :D

Just because I don't drink doesn't mean that I don't encourage others in the pursuit of happiness. Timing and time are key for these meetings. With any luck we'll have more of them in our neck of the woods. I don't know how these other guys pull off their fancy catered meets with sponsors and valet parking but we'll get it figured out. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, arrange for a GTG near Boston, and I'll try to make it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis