Apple Music To Offer Dolby Atmos Incentive To Artists, Record Labels

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Leaked email from Apple:
“to recognize the creative investment and value that high-quality Spatial Audio brings to both fans and artists, we will be making changes to how royalties are calculated. Plays of content available in Spatial Audio will receive a higher royalty value.”

Interestingly, the language of the email suggests that the songs don’t have to be played back in Spatial Audio in order to earn the higher royalties — they simply need to be available in Spatial Audio. This policy would naturally encourage musicians and record labels to offer as much content as possible in the format, and it could easily lead to an influx of sub-par Atmos remixes of existing music, along with half-hearted Atmos versions of new material.

apple-music.jpg

Read: Apple Music To Offer Dolby Atmos Incentive To Artists, Record Labels

A

AlessandroTTR

Audiophyte
Dolby Atmos in streaming services is still lossy quality only, right?

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Dolby Atmos in streaming services is still lossy quality only, right?
For movies it certainly is. Not sure if it's different for music. Could be but I have doubts that they'll be streaming out 5Mbps audio for lossless Atmos.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is lossy. There are already too many awful remixes of older music. Not sure we need any more of them. This is really just for the headphone/earpod crowd as they want those folks to have a "Spatial Audio" experience while using them. It sure isn't for anybody using a Mac connected via HDMI. Dolby Atmos is not supported on Macs connected that way. The Apple TV 4K is currently the only device that supports Dolby Atmos from Apple Music over HDMI.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is how Dolby Atmos is streamed using this codec.

Dolby Digital Plus JOC (Joint Object Coding) refers to the underlying technology used to deliver Dolby Atmos via the Dolby Digital Plus format. In product UI and documentation it is commonly referred to as Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos.

• Joint Object Coding is a coding technique that allows up to 15 full range channels or objects, plus LFE channel, to be carried within a Dolby Digital Plus bitstream in a backward-compatible manner.
  • A Dolby Digital Plus JOC decoder uses the Joint Object Coding data to decode the channels or objects to up to 15.1 channels of PCM. The decoder also output object audio metadata (OAMD) which instructs the Dolby Atmos renderer how to position each of these objects and/or channels based on the configured playback environment.
  • Existing Dolby Digital Plus decoders ignore the JOC data and decode the Dolby Digital Plus bitstream which consists of a multichannel render of the Dolby Atmos audio.
The BPO Digital Concert Hall streams archived concerts and soon live concerts in: -

AudioHi-ResStereo 48 kHz 24-bit · 1.400 kbit/s / 2.800 kbit/s · FLAC
AudioImmersive AudioDolby Atmos 7.1.4 · 1.024 kbit/s · E-AC-3 JOC (Dolby Digital Plus)

Video is streamed 4K as: -

VideoHD1920*1080, colour space BT.709 in h.264/h.265 with up to 4.500 kbit/s
VideoUHD3840*2160, colour space BT.2020 in HDR/HLG h.265 with up to 17.500 kbit/s

As far as I am concerned they are the world leaders in high quality streaming.

They just celebrated their first 15 years of streamed concerts. They announced that they now have 2.5 million subscribers worldwide, by my calculation, that is a revenue stream of nearly half a billion dollars are year.

Suck that up Apple Music.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is how Dolby Atmos is streamed using this codec.

Dolby Digital Plus JOC (Joint Object Coding) refers to the underlying technology used to deliver Dolby Atmos via the Dolby Digital Plus format. In product UI and documentation it is commonly referred to as Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos.

• Joint Object Coding is a coding technique that allows up to 15 full range channels or objects, plus LFE channel, to be carried within a Dolby Digital Plus bitstream in a backward-compatible manner.
  • A Dolby Digital Plus JOC decoder uses the Joint Object Coding data to decode the channels or objects to up to 15.1 channels of PCM. The decoder also output object audio metadata (OAMD) which instructs the Dolby Atmos renderer how to position each of these objects and/or channels based on the configured playback environment.
  • Existing Dolby Digital Plus decoders ignore the JOC data and decode the Dolby Digital Plus bitstream which consists of a multichannel render of the Dolby Atmos audio.
The BPO Digital Concert Hall streams archived concerts and soon live concerts in: -

AudioHi-ResStereo 48 kHz 24-bit · 1.400 kbit/s / 2.800 kbit/s · FLAC
AudioImmersive AudioDolby Atmos 7.1.4 · 1.024 kbit/s · E-AC-3 JOC (Dolby Digital Plus)

Video is streamed 4K as: -

VideoHD1920*1080, colour space BT.709 in h.264/h.265 with up to 4.500 kbit/s
VideoUHD3840*2160, colour space BT.2020 in HDR/HLG h.265 with up to 17.500 kbit/s

As far as I am concerned they are the world leaders in high quality streaming.

They just celebrated their first 15 years of streamed concerts. They announced that they now have 2.5 million subscribers worldwide, by my calculation, that is a revenue stream of nearly half a billion dollars are year.

Suck that up Apple Music.
Interesting, where do you get this service?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The app is available on many different devices. As @TLS Guy mentioned, the quality is great and keeps getting better all the time. The video quality is also amazing.
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 1.46.29 PM.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Interesting, where do you get this service?
It is from the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall.

This all started before the digital era. Their long time principal conductor Herbert Von Karajan, was a techy, and predicted the Internet, before anyone I know of. So he had all the concerts recorded on videotape from the earliest days of that technology. Those concerts are now in the archive of the Digital Concert Hall. He was also a pilot, and had a fondness for fast cars, and drove them fast.

15 years ago the BPO stated streaming their concerts on the Internet. It was difficult back then, and there were lots of problems especially with buffering. I joined in 2012, and it was hit and miss if you had a good experience. However over 12 months or so there was rapid improvement.

I have have had an interest in digital audio going back 40 years now. I stated recording concerts digitally back in 1984, and I think one of the very first to make digital recordings for broadcast in the US. I built my first DAW in 2002, which was really cutting edge back then to do digital editing. Prior to that I adopted dbx 1 outboard to me 15 ips reel to reel recorders in 1973

I had two massive surgeries in 2007, and spent at least a month and a half of that year in hospital.

After that my colleagues thought I best retire due to the pressure cooker of the ICU. So I retired to our lake home on Benedict Lake where I had moved my equipement and built my first AV room 2005/6.

Once I got there, I had time on my hands and I was approached by some UK CD labels. How they tracked me down I have no idea. Anyhow the problem they wanted solved was the download a perfect CD image. Streaming was not practical then. The problem was making sections seamless, without a break, and at the same time able to be selected from an Index. For instance in a Bach cantata the numbers have to play seamlessly without a break, but you need to be able to find them from the index on the case.

With a huge help from my eldest son, who is an expert programmer and chief of that department at the company he works for, the problem was cracked. Strange as it may seem the first CD image to allow this was uploaded deep in the woods of the Paul Bunyan Forest on the shores of Lake Benedict MN.

The big problem was that the connection was copper, and fiber connections uncommon at that time.
So I worked with the local phone cooperative, Paul Bunyan out of Bemidji and we came up with the design of a passive optical fiber network for Internet and TV. This was a PON (Passive Optical Network). Much to my surprise we had this whole vast area of Minnesota connected in no time in 2010. This was the first network in the US to have all customers on fiber.

This is the cable layer at our Benedict Lake home.

But the cable layer broke down on the steep slope next to my neighbors home. Now the thing was hydraulic drive and when the engine stops the wheels don't move! Anyhow it happened at the right place. I pulled it up the hill with the powerful winch I had installed in my 1948 Willys Jeep CJ2A. I managed to get it up to my shop.

I soon established that it needed a new mechanical diesel lift pump. The fuel hoses were in bad condition so I replaced them. While waiting for the new fuel pump, I redesigned and modified the cable release in the rear. The cable needed to be taken in and out often, and it required wrenches and made the process laborious. So I designed and built a lever snap in/snap out attachment. It worked beautifully and the crew were thrilled with it.
So they got a free repair and an upgrade.

So in September 2010 we had a fiber connection to the house. It was faster than what I can get from Comcast here in Eagan in the Twin Cities.

Paul Bunyan needed far less roadside booster units and the system was much more reliable. They also could provide cable TV service to this region, where terrestrial coverage was poor, and the other option a satellite dish. That is not the best option in heavily wooded areas.

So that has been some of my involvement in digital transmission.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
The power of Apple. It will be interesting to see how many artists come out with Atmos versions now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, BPO is fine if you like the content choices....not much interest for me.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I often watch the John Williams concert. Its fun to watch all of those musicians bring those great movie themes to life.
IMG_4462.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Concerning Apple Music, while the complete video concert is not available on Apple Music like on the BPO, the audio album is available on Apple Music in Dolby Atmos.
IMG_4463.jpeg

G

George MacDonald

Enthusiast
My experience with a 5 channel system is that it changes everything. Comparing Spatial/Dolby music to Stereo is like comparing stereo to mono. But too, it changes equipment requirements. No longer are rear speaker for "echo" only. Suddenly (depending on the song and the mix) they become as full range and as important as the front speakers. I replaced my decent rear speakers with a pair of (used) Paradigm Studio 40 three way speakers and suddenly I was hearing notes and sound that simply were not there before. Frankly, I don't think the audio system manufacturerss have really caught up with this as yet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis