Aperion Verus Grand Vs. Atlantic Technology AT-1

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I'm mulling over the possibility of updating my front LCRs and have narrowed it down to two options, the Aperion Verus Grand towers and center or the Atlantic Technology AT-1 towers and 8200e C center.

While I think either would be a good choice, I'm looking to see if I can get any input from folks that have heard these in person or possible owners. I know the likelihood of anyone having owned/heard both is slim, but obviously that would be ideal.

Other than sonic preference, from what I can gather to this point the Aperions would have much more aesthetic appeal and ATs would be an additional $500. While I could reduce the gap between them by stepping down to the next center in the AT line, I would prefer to keep as close to an 'apples to apples' comparison, if nothing else at least from a specs standpoint.

Any thoughts? TIA... :) -TD
<br>

Matt34

Matt34

Can't really give you much help but I was able to listen to the AT-1 at RMAF this year and they really didn't do it for me. I thought the Salk Songtowers and the ACA Trinity MTM were both overall better speakers for the money.

Haven't heard the new batch of Aperion speakers.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Thanks, Matt. :cool:

I'd considered looking at the Salks some time ago, don't know why I lost interest on them, possibly the price tag. I know Sholling was a previous Boston Acoustics VR3 owner (IIRC) that went in that direction, maybe he can add some input on that if he catches this thread.

I hadn't heard of the ACA Trinity MTMs, pretty impressive lower end FR for their dimensions.

I think the AT's might be a bit more fickle regarding placement and listening area adding little coloring to the sonics, may have played into their performance... -TD

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd considered looking at the Salks some time ago, don't know why I lost interest on them, possibly the price tag.
Then perhaps the Philharmonic 1 speakers @ $1600/pr may interest you.

philharmonicaudio.com

The Aperion Grand Verus is not a bad idea either since you get the free 30 day trial.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, Matt. :cool:

I'd considered looking at the Salks some time ago, don't know why I lost interest on them, possibly the price tag. I know Sholling was a previous Boston Acoustics VR3 owner (IIRC) that went in that direction, maybe he can add some input on that if he catches this thread.

I hadn't heard of the ACA Trinity MTMs, pretty impressive lower end FR for their dimensions.

I think the AT's might be a bit more fickle regarding placement and listening area adding little coloring to the sonics, may have played into their performance... -TD
I'd consider sending Sholling a PM....I know, I did. Not that I don't have the highest of admiration or desire for the Salks...I found some of their members just rub me the wrong way.:)

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Thanks Billy, you read my mind about shooting Sholling a PM, I'll do that now... ;) -TD

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't had the chance to listen to either the Aperion Verus Grand or the Atlantic Technology AT-1 but as mentioned above I've owned Boston Acoustics VR3 and loved them. Unfortunately rear ported speakers would not work in my new family room so they had to go. My Song Tower-RTs (the older ribbon tweeter version) were custom made with front ports and work a lot better in my space. I find the STs a bit less dynamic but the ribbon tweeters are amazingly detailed. In my opinion the VR3s were much better below 80hz and as a result I crossover to my sub at 80hz. Above 80hz the Salks are superb. I'm very happy with my Song Towers but if I had to do it over again (and had the room) I'm not sure if I'd spend $2500 on the ST-RTs again or spend a few hundred more for the Philharmonic 3s (which I have not heard). If you're going to spend that much money I'd ask Jim Salk if there is someone in your area that will let you listen to theirs. Sorry I can't be more help.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Thanks, Sholling. The BA VR-3s and VR-12 have performed great and while I don't think I'm going to get the same price for performance with my next set as I have with the VR series, I do want to make sure I don't have any regrets with the move.

The 30 day in-home trial Aperion offers is pretty awesome, I may have to go that route. If I did go with the ATs from the Audioholics store, they also offer a 30 day "no questions asked" option, though I'd be out return shipping.

Decisions, decisions... :D -TD

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis