Aperion Towers vs Aperion Bookshelves?

M

mrme

Audiophyte
I'm currently using Aperion bookshelves with a 10" sub and am considering replacing the bookshelves and sub and going with towers. I live in an apartment and will probably be living like this way for some time, so I don't get to use the full benefits of having the sub. I really liked the tightness of the 8" sub that I initially auditioned but I kind of got greedy about the possible power and extension of the 10" so I went with that, but like I said, because of the apartment situation, I can't really crank it up anywhere near where I had calibrated that it should be.

I guess my question is if there is any real soundstage or tone difference between the towers and bookshelves? Is there any true difference in sound quality, or is it just that the towers have built in subs? What can I expect in bass performance going from the 10" sub to two 8" subs in the towers? I suppose I could always KEEP the 10" sub in addition to the towers, but then I would be destroying small villages with my bass incursions.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
mrme said:
I could always KEEP the 10" sub in addition to the towers, but then I would be destroying small villages with my bass incursions.
Just remember to pillage and plunder before setting the village on fire.

As far any difference from about 80Hz on up? None.

Any difference in the lower frequencies will be difficult to judge not knowing anything about the room they're going in. But generally, 2 subs are more than 1 and will make more sound. The 10" sub will go lower, but the 2 8" subs will provide more SPL. But like I said, there are all kinds of room issues that could make these statements wrong. Sometimes 2 subs can cancel each other out in certain parts of the room. That's where the 30 day audition comes in.

Personally, I don't think any improvement you might find is going to be worth the money or the effort.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis