Aperion or Axiom vs Paradigm Studio

A

apark5

Audiophyte
I got Aperion Audio 7.1 setup with 30-day in home trial. So far I love it but wondering if Axiom would have been better choice.
My Aperion Setup:
Fronts LR: Aperion 6T Tower
Center: Aperion 6C Center Chanel
Surrounds: Aperion 5DB set to Bipole
Rear Surronds: Aperion 5B Bookshelf
Subwoofer: Aperion Bravus 12D
Cost: 4219 Free shipping no tax

Axiom setup I am considering:
Fronts LR: Axiom M80 v2
Center: Axiom VP150 v2
Surrounds: Axiom QS8
Rear Surrounds: Axiom M3 v2
Subwoofer: Axiom EP500
Cost: 3646.10 Free shipping no tax

Paradigm Setup
Front LR: Paradigm Studio 60 v5
Center: Paradigm Studio CC590 v5
Surrounds: Paradigm Studio ADP-390
Rear Surrounds: Paradigm Studio 10 v5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Studio Sub 12
Cost: No clue about MSRP

Unfortunately I can't audition Axiom but someone at AVSForum suggested that they sound just like Paradigm Studio line but Aperion would be better choice for HT/Movies. My usage would be 90-95% movies and 5-10% music.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Did I make right choice with Aperion?

J

just listening

Audioholic
You made the right call IMHO getting the Aperions. The 6T's are a far better sounding speaker than the Axiom M80's. The thing about Aperions is that they are more old world sounding and don't boost certain frequencies. That can fool people into thinking their blah-sounding.One thing for sure, the finish quality is much better than Axiom. Don't beat yourself up second-guessing, just take some time to get the proper placement and enjoy them.

The Paradigm Studio series are very good, but you are looking at $6k at least and you don't get to audition in your home with an option to return them like the other two.

mcghee33

mcghee33

Audioholic Intern
I have been looking really hard at the paradigm studio series and really like the sound of the studio 20 bookshelves. DO the Aperions really sound that good that they compete with the paradigm studio's? Because if so it looks like I can save a ton of money buying the aperions.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
The 6T's are a far better sounding speaker than the Axiom M80's. The thing about Aperions is that they are more old world sounding and don't boost certain frequencies.
There doesn't seem to be too much in the way of "boosting" on the M80's via 3rd-party measurements:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/axiom_m80v2/

While not ruler flat, the overall response looks arguably more neutral than the 6Ts:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/aperion_audio_intimus_6t_loudspeaker/index4.html

The high-end roll-off starts off a little earlier for the Aperions, though.

I haven't heard either model, so I'm only working from the graphs.

J

just listening

Audioholic
Interesting graphs, is it the same testing testing equipment and software? I wasn't saying that the Aperions were more even than the Axioms, just a statement in general compared to many brands at this price point. Thanks for putting up the graphs.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
You know people always try to draw parallels and it makes me nuts. If your happy with the Aperions ....thats all that counts !:)

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Interesting graphs, is it the same testing testing equipment and software? I wasn't saying that the Aperions were more even than the Axioms, just a statement in general compared to many brands at this price point. Thanks for putting up the graphs.
I can only vouch that both sources have a good reputation for measurements. Re-reading, I see that you weren't necessarily directly comparing the Axioms and Aperions like I first inferred.

Still, I hope it's useful information.

The the original poster: If you're happy with the Aperions, great! You may want to decide if the shipping cost is worth it to you to directly compare, say, a pair of M80s to your 6Ts. If you're the type to torture yourself with second-guessing, it could be worth it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If only Axion allows for the same free 30-day trial exactly like Aperion.

Otherwise, I would also stick with Aperion if you are completely happy with it.

Another company that gives you the free 30-day trial including shipping is NHT.

I would get 5 identical NHT Classic Three + the Classic U2 dual subwoofer system.

The U2 Sub system will allow you to use the front Left & Right speaker (Classic Three) in Pure Direct Mode.

Pre-Pro L+R Output connects to the L+R Input of the X1 (active crossover) of the U2 system.

The X1 L+R Hi-Pass Output to the L+R Input of your Amplifier, LFE Output to the A1 (monoblock), which drives the dual subwoofers.

IMO unless tower speakers have built-in subs like the Def Tech BPs or the RBH flagships or the NHT Classic Four (requires additional A1 + X2), you won't get significant bass output anyway.

That's another option: NHT Classic Four for Front L+R, and Classic Three for Center, Surround L+R.

Hey, why don't you do a NHT vs Aperion head-to-head and tell us all about it?:D

B

BESLC

Enthusiast
Personally I would stick with the Aperion's. As you have already experienced they are an excellent setup...I have found they sound better with time,let them break in. In terms of finish they are second to none.

P

pthoresen

Audioholic Intern
I have had Aperions for a couple months and i am very happy with them.
I do not have the 6Ts, but my 4s are great for home theater.

Not as good for 2 channel music, but if 95% of your use is for HT
it wouldn't matter, and i would assume the 6s pack more of a punch.

I am sure the Axiom are good too, but i just wanted to give
a shout out to the Aperion products. One of my friends who watched
a movie with me a couple weeks ago could not believe the sound stage.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis