Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelf speaker system is a high caliber compact system that is capable of delivering pristine fidelity. It's a compact two-way design employing very high quality components such as 5" Kevlar woven phase plug woofer and 1" axially stabilized soft dome tweeter. These speakers sounded their best mated with a very musical and potent sub crossed over at 80Hz and this is how we recommend using to achieve full-range serious two-channel playback. In such an installation, the Aperion Verus were able to literally disappear leaving you with nothing but the music to get carried away in. These speakers performance per dollar ratio is so good that I fear Aperion has raised the bar too high for its competition. These aren't just speakers, they are pieces of furniture that sound good. Considering their very liberal return policy, FREE 30 day home trial program and FREE shipping (both ways) I can't say anything else other than highly recommended!

Discuss "Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice. I wouldn't mind getting a pair for my computer system and moving my RC-10s to surround duty in the theater :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder how these compare to my NHTs. They look to have very similar specs, with the exception that the Aperions are ported.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with you Gene, it looks like Aperion is ahead of a lot of their ID competition and pulling away fast. Not just by a little but by A LOT! And its just not in the sense that they perform better than some. This speaker is built WAY better with a much higher quality finish than what you can get direct at that price as well. Not to mention Aperions free return policy. They are head in shoulders above a lot of their direct competition right now.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
costwise,sound wise I wonder how they compair to these

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

I cannot see my self spending 600 bucks on bookshelf speakers ,even though these look fantastic. I just want the best sound I can get for my money
Ascend and Aperion would be my choice for the top performing ID speakers at this price right now. My thoughts on this comparison is the Ascends would be as neutral as the Aperions and will play louder for a larger room and have lower bass extension due to the larger cabinet and dual woofers. The drivers on the Ascends and crossover components are also top notch. The finish and overall look of the Aperions is a hell of a lot nicer over the ascends.

If you are mating them without a sub then I would probably go with the Ascends. But if you are crossing them over to a sub its a coin flip IMO.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
Ascend and Aperion would be my choice for the top performing ID speakers at this price right now. My thoughts on this comparison is the Ascends would be as neutral as the Aperions and will play louder for a larger room and have lower bass extension due to the larger cabinet and dual woofers. The drivers on the Ascends and crossover components are also top notch. The finish and overall look of the Aperions is a hell of a lot nicer over the ascends.

If you are mating them without a sub then I would probably go with the Ascends. But if you are crossing them over to a sub its a coin flip IMO.
my curren sub is an hsu vtf2 mk3 my room is 15x25

AUtiger

AUtiger

Junior Audioholic
vs energy rc 10

Wonder if there is a major difference from the Energy RC 10 ?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Wonder if there is a major difference from the Energy RC 10 ?
The Energy RC10 is a very good speaker and beautiful too boot. IMO of the best bookshelf speakers Energy (API) made. I think Aperion hit a home run with this model especially when looking at the in room measurements. They resemble more like anechoic frequency response measurements, similar to that of the RC 10. :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HTM also confirms the excellent performance

The Verus Grand Tower’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.59/–2.21 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3-dB point is at 43 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 34 Hz.

The Verus Grand Center’s listening-window response measures +2.40/–2.74 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. An average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal responses measures +2.27/–2.54 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3-dB point is at 59 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 51 Hz.

The Verus Grand Bookshelf’s listening-window response measures +2.79/–1.83 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3-dB point is at 68 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 59 Hz.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/aperion-verus-grand-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

F

Fowl

Audioholic
The Verus Grand Tower’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.59/–2.21 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3-dB point is at 43 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 34 Hz.

The Verus Grand Center’s listening-window response measures +2.40/–2.74 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. An average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal responses measures +2.27/–2.54 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3-dB point is at 59 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 51 Hz.

The Verus Grand Bookshelf’s listening-window response measures +2.79/–1.83 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3-dB point is at 68 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 59 Hz.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/aperion-verus-grand-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Hi AcuDefTechGuy,

To the less educated in speaker numbers like myself, who does this all mean?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi AcuDefTechGuy,

To the less educated in speaker numbers like myself, who does this all mean?
The first lesson is that measurements don't tell you everything; the final test is the actual audition of the speakers.

But the measurements of the frequency response gives us a clue as to how accurate the speakers are.

The whole audio spectrum is 20Hz-20kHz, but the "critical" audible spectrum is 200Hz-10kHz.

Within this range, speakers that have a tolerance of +/-3dB are said to be accurate per industry standards. If they have a +/-2dB, that is even better.

So those Aperion speakers are all within +/-3dB tolerance, which means they are fairly accurate on-axis and up to 15 degrees off-axis.

But..... these measurements do not give us the extremely important off-axis (60 degrees horizontal Polar Response) responses, which are as important, if not more important.

Soundstage/Canada NRC, Stereophile, and Audioholics will give you better information as far as the Polar Response (off axis).

Take home message, if you want a speaker that measures accurately, the on-axis FR needs to be no more than +/-3dB 200Hz-10kHz, and the 60 degrees horizontal off-axis needs to be no more than +/-6dB 200Hz-10kHz IMO.:D

Not many speakers will have a +/-3dB @ 60 degrees off-axis from 200Hz-10kHz.

Unfortunately, a lot of speakers will be +/-12dB or worse @ 60 degrees off-axis.

E

Earhead

Audiophyte
Question about these speakers...

Will these work if I mounted them in a book shelf (11" deep X 11" high X 26" wide)? I noticed that they have a rear port that would be pretty much covered up in my application. If not, any recommendations? We just downsized and my 42" towers don't fit my wife's idea of a man cave.

C

cosoundman

Audiophyte
Great lil' package!

;)For the Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers ($598 value) from Aperion Audio,
These are super lil' guys for everything above sub level. Get four (4) for front and rear's, a matching center (hmmmm) atleast 2 GOOD subs, and you'll be rocking!

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Hmm I wonder will spectral decay plots ever make it into the reviews like Stereophile does? Would be interesting to see any cone resonance behavior.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis