brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Here's poor old Brian, checking if the Denon 4520ci is available for purchase in Canada yet....... WHAT?!?! The 4311 is on sale for $500 off right now? That never happens north of the border! That's about $1000 less than the MSRP on the 4520! *buys 4311* *Hopes XT 32 lives up to the hype* *Thanks god for overtime*

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Here's poor old Brian, checking if the Denon 4520ci is available for purchase in Canada yet....... WHAT?!?! The 4311 is on sale for $500 off right now? That never happens north of the border! That's about $1000 less than the MSRP on the 4520! *buys 4311* *Hopes XT 32 lives up to the hype* *Thanks god for overtime*
Congratulations! I'll be watching to see if you think XT 32 makes a big difference. I'm looking at the 4520 right now myself.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
New receiver came in on Thursday. Due to overtime/being considerate to neighbours for audyssey/birthday parties/family visits I just had my first opportunity to set it up. I'm updating my harmony right now. Whole process took about an hour and a half, but it's done now. A friend of mine is gonna buy my old 3312 off of me so that's one less head ache to deal with. Won't really be able to crank it up until tomorrow after work due to the late hour now, But I'll be sure to pass along any differences I notice with the xt32.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Strangely enough, the xt32 made my bass seem a little anemic. Did some test tones and they were both only putting out around 65 db. A little work with my spl meter and I got them both going at 75 and 78 in tandem. Will report back in a bit, just struck me as odd. Bad mic maybe? All the other levels seem fine. Even if that's the case, a little bit of work with the spl meter seems to have that issue fixed, so it's not a huge deal.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Strangely enough, the xt32 made my bass seem a little anemic. Did some test tones and they were both only putting out around 65 db. A little work with my spl meter and I got them both going at 75 and 78 in tandem. Will report back in a bit, just struck me as odd. Bad mic maybe? All the other levels seem fine. Even if that's the case, a little bit of work with the spl meter seems to have that issue fixed, so it's not a huge deal.
Wait, so XT32 had each sub, individually, outputting 65db?

If so then that's because together with room gain they were probably outputting 75db, which would mean if you measured each individually they would both measure below 75db.

If I misread that than ignore me.....everyone else already does :D

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Wait, so XT32 had each sub, individually, outputting 65db?

If so then that's because together with room gain they were probably outputting 75db, which would mean if you measured each individually they would both measure below 75db.

If I misread that than ignore me.....everyone else already does :D
You definitely read it correctly. Since 2 75db signals equaled out to 78 together I don't think 2 65s would reach 75 tho :) I don't know, there were explosions where I couldn't even tell if the subs were on. Maybe I just like to run the bass a little hot :) Not gonna have much time for movies in the next couple of days but I've got a 4 day weekend starting friday where I'll really be able to dive in and give you my thoughts.

So far I can definitely hear an improvement in my speakers though. My rooms pretty horrible (and not able to be treated) which has lead to fatigue in the past, but I watched License to Kill, Walking Dead (I'm glad this show is finally showing some improvement, it's got so much potential), and Boardwalk Empire tonight with no issues at all.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Actually, my receiver wouldn't let me start the calibration until both subs were at 75 db. The gain had to be moved way down for both. Maybe next time I do a recalibration I'll use my SPL meter to see how close the Audyssey mic and the SPL meter are.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You definitely read it correctly. Since 2 75db signals equaled out to 78 together I don't think 2 65s would reach 75 tho :) I don't know, there were explosions where I couldn't even tell if the subs were on. Maybe I just like to run the bass a little hot :) Not gonna have much time for movies in the next couple of days but I've got a 4 day weekend starting friday where I'll really be able to dive in and give you my thoughts.

So far I can definitely hear an improvement in my speakers though. My rooms pretty horrible (and not able to be treated) which has lead to fatigue in the past, but I watched License to Kill, Walking Dead (I'm glad this show is finally showing some improvement, it's got so much potential), and Boardwalk Empire tonight with no issues at all.
How did you figure 75 and 75 = 78? I'm not surprised you heard an improvement, audyssey does do a few things really well, not everything but quite a few. Are you using movie or music? Movie tends to boost the mid and upper frequencies a bit to give the impression of it being louder/better (in their minds anyways) while music is generally the flattest overall response you'll get.

Actually, my receiver wouldn't let me start the calibration until both subs were at 75 db. The gain had to be moved way down for both. Maybe next time I do a recalibration I'll use my SPL meter to see how close the Audyssey mic and the SPL meter are.
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. Maybe it's different with Denon, but with my Onkyo it'll let me set the subs to whatever I want according to the provided mic and move on. I know that during cal the 75db setting before the test tones get's it pretty close according to my SPL meter, but then always ends up lowering the levels significantly. I don't think it's ever lowered it down to 65, but probably 70ish.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Reran Audyssey. Happy with the results on the subs the 2nd time. Who knows what happened the first time. Everything sounds amazing now.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Gonna be switching around some of my av furniture soon. Figured it gave me a good opportunity to take a panorama picture with my new phone :)

Ordered the twin of my current component stand. Gonna put it on the left hand side to give a little more symmetry to the set up. Then once I get the stand to hang my tv on...

I'm gonna switch out my current tv stand for something lower so when I move my center up a bit I can keep my tv around it's current height. This one is 6 inches lower than my current stand which should help. I'm not 100% sold on this one yet, I'll have to go see it in person first. You get the idea though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
The second stand just came in. Wasn't expecting in until next week, Haven't moved anything over there and probably won't until I get the other 2 pieces, but I already think this looks better :)

Last edited by a moderator:
brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Noticed futureshop had the bdt220 on sale today, and I had a $40 gift certificate laying around to there so I went and picked it up :) looking forward to faster loading of movies and the occasional youtube video:D

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Looking good mate is your wall unit wonkie or do my eyes deseve me

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes I feel like I post too much in here but I get so excited I can't help but share :p

Ordered one of these today...

Solves the problem of getting my center channel up on top of my entertainment center, gives me more options for future center upgrades, I'll be able to put my center on some speaker dudes, and allows me to move the dual subs up to the front of the room. The component stand to the right of my tv stand won't be needed anymore :) I love the dual subs but just feel it'd be more immersive if I felt explosions coming from in front of me rather than behind :D It's an expensive solution to the problem... but still the best solution I can find. It's on order but the shop said it could take up to a month to arrive.
I got one like that too from Bell'O. I had to because there is a window behind my setup, so no way to mount the TV. The Salamander versions were far too pricey for what they do and this one does the same thing.

Amazon.com: Bell'O PP59B TV Mount Holds Up To 63-inches or 175lbs TV Black: Electronics

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
decided to take the upgrade to 7.2. Ordered new 36 inch bookshelf stands so my speakers are a little higher up and polk fxi a6 bipole/dipole surrounds. gonna move my current surrounds to the rear since they're monopoles. Still haven't got that tv stand in but it'll probably have to wait until after xmas now anyways since I splurged on this early xmas present :) They've made me wait over 2 months so they can wait a couple weeks if it comes in anytime soon :p I did decide on that little black ikea unit to put my center on once everything else comes in.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
They look like they have identical drivers to the a6 center I have.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis