Anything comparable to the 606?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'm toying with the idea of replacing my Denon AVR-1306. Its component output is mostly broken, which sucks, and I'm currently using a 2x1 HDMI switch but now need 3 HDMI ports.

Plus, I'm cheap.

So, I'm thinking about replacing it with something a little more modern. The Onkyo 606 seems like the logical choice, with 4 HDMI inputs and a street price under $350.

Are there any others I should consider?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the usual list of suspects in that price range (outside of the 606) are the Yamaha 663 and the Pioneer 1018. The Pioneer is a bit pricier, but you might be able to find it for under $400.

As has been mentioned here so often, it really comes down to what features you want. The Onkyo is a nice unit, with the one possible con that comes to mind being that it doesn't have pre-amp outputs. For some, that is irrelevant. For others, it's a deal breaker.

You could also consider some from last year's line. I think that a thread last night had suggestions for the 705 or 805 as being possible ideas instead of a 606 (as both of those have pre-amp outputs).

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the info. The Yamaha only has 2 HDMI inputs, and the Pioneer is over $100 more expensive. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Preamp outputs are irrelevant for me.

Looks like the 606 is the receiver for me. It does transcode from component/s-video to HDMI, right?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Being that pre-amp outputs are irrelevant to you, then I completely agree! The 606 is a nice receiver.

I figured that you could use your HDMI switcher to expand the number of inputs on the 663, but there's no reason to do that if the 606 fits all of your needs. :)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I could do that, if there were some other compelling reason to go with the 663. Doesn't seem like there would be, though.

zeuiax

zeuiax

Audioholic
I was looking at 606 as well but ended up getting 663 from 6 ave for $349 shipped last night. I wanted preout in receiver and heard little bit about heating problem with 606. GL anyway.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I could do that, if there were some other compelling reason to go with the 663. Doesn't seem like there would be, though.

The only real reason to get the 663 is the preouts, which you said you don't care about. It does have dual sub outs, but a y-splitter does the same thing. The Onkyo will get you a more robust amp, more flexible bass mgmt, will not clip video for HTPC users, Audyssey 2eq, off the top of my head.

The one thing that Onkyo did poorly with 605/705/805 is transcoding of component, the details of which I am fuzzy on. 720p, even if downconverted from 1080i/p. This is the one thing that would beg more research for me with the xx6 models if I actually still used component connection.

As Adam said, going superceded is usually money in the pocket, however, the street price you listed is pretty hard to beat. IMO only, I thought of the 805 as the best value of '08 in midline receivers, but it won't be that cheap, that's for sure. It has dropped to $425 as refurbed time to time, but don't hold your breath.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I actually I fixed the component inputs on my receiver. I opened it up, removed the component input and video input boards, gave all the contacts and components a thorough cleaning, and it started working when I put it back together.

Maybe I'll just get that 4-input HDMI box.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sweet! Good for you. It always makes me feel good when I can get something working again, and my level of electronics expertise is pretty much at the level of take it apart and clean it. :)

You could also look at the cost of the HDMI switch versus the total cost of a new receiver minus the money that you could get by selling your Denon (if that's even of interest to you). Just a thought.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Sweet! Good for you. It always makes me feel good when I can get something working again, and my level of electronics expertise is pretty much at the level of take it apart and clean it. :)

You could also look at the cost of the HDMI switch versus the total cost of a new receiver minus the money that you could get by selling your Denon (if that's even of interest to you). Just a thought.

I was prepared to maybe replace some capacitors or re-solder a resistor if I saw some loose things, but I didn't. So I just cleaned it all up, but that was all it took :)

A new switch was less than $40, and I don't have any other need for a new receiver, so it was kind of a no brainer. A new one would be nice, but it's a bunch of money to spend unnecessarily.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis