Anyone using an AppleTV?

64met

64met

Audioholic
Anyone know much about these?
Not sure exactly what U R looking for... but I use an APTV. For the most part its ok... the user innerface is a breeze; BUT it is very "quirky" alot of re-sets; movies half downloading forcing me to turn it completely off to allow download to continue. Mine is in an open area and still gets very hot!

J

Jason Lopez

Junior Audioholic
Anyone know much about these?
I use mine strictly as a music server in a two channel system. It is a little quirky sometimes and requires a re-start every now and then, and a wireless re-connect from time to time, but that's easy enough. Aside from that, I absolutely love it! If you want the best sound quality...definately use a DAC. I use a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, and I noticed a huge difference when I connected it. I do rip cd's as Apple Lossless, but I also buy individual songs on itunes when I only like a few songs from certain artists. I gotta tell ya...there is a difference between Apple Lossless and the 256kbps you get from itunes, BUT it isn't as big as you would think, in fact it is very subtle. I only noticed a difference when doing an A/B comparison with very critical listening. One of my favorite things about it is...you can totally customize your itunes library and it will be the same on your Apple tv. For instance, I went through my whole library(3500 songs) and created my own genre's, playlists, selected my own artwork, album titles and so on. Now...whatever comes up on the screen is what "I" want it say, and how "I" want it to look. Let's say you have five different cd's from the same artist...James Taylor for example. You can select an album cover you like the best for all the songs and change the album name to James Taylor Collection, OR... you can have it as diverse as you want. Anyway, it works for me. I recommend it.

Jason.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
If you want the best sound quality...definately use a DAC. I use a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, and I noticed a huge difference when I connected it.
I can believe that the external DAC does better than the DACs of the AppleTV unit. Is there a particular reason you used an external DAC rather than the DAC's on your receiver (via optical or HDMI input)?

J

Jason Lopez

Junior Audioholic
I can believe that the external DAC does better than the DACs of the AppleTV unit. Is there a particular reason you used an external DAC rather than the DAC's on your receiver (via optical or HDMI input)?
I have a two channel NAD integrated amp. My system is strictly a two channel. Music only.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
i use an apple TV for my music server. its pretty awesome.. I do use the optical out into my krell pre/pro its got a pretty nice DAC so i think its good enough that I dont need a separate. ;)

but I will probably sell my CD player actually a marants DVD player DV6600 if anyone is interested for 100 bucks :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not sure exactly what U R looking for... but I use an APTV. For the most part its ok... the user innerface is a breeze; BUT it is very "quirky" alot of re-sets; movies half downloading forcing me to turn it completely off to allow download to continue. Mine is in an open area and still gets very hot!
I went to the local Apple store yesterday and that thing was a lot hotter than I would think. That means it uses a lot of juice, too. Hardly energy efficient.

The resets may be heat related. I'd be tempted to put a small fan on it to see if it changes.

Matt34

Matt34

Between the APTV and my 50" plasma my living room stays nice and warm.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Between the APTV and my 50" plasma my living room stays nice and warm.
You should add one of the older Xbox 360 units and a Dish Network DVR. Then you can start slow roasting pork.

J

Jason Lopez

Junior Audioholic
I went to the local Apple store yesterday and that thing was a lot hotter than I would think. That means it uses a lot of juice, too. Hardly energy efficient.

The resets may be heat related. I'd be tempted to put a small fan on it to see if it changes.
Supposedly the metal external ring around the unit is actually a heat sink. I leave mine on all the time, but in one of the menus there is a stand-by mode if you don't want to leave it fully powered when not in use.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
well the Apple TV is on the cool side compared to my Krell amp.. i cook breakfast on it sometimes :eek:

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Vintage_Hi-Fi

Audioholic Intern
Supposedly the metal external ring around the unit is actually a heat sink. I leave mine on all the time, but in one of the menus there is a stand-by mode if you don't want to leave it fully powered when not in use.
Now were have I heard that before?

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
If you want to stream music just opt for the Airport Express. Plug it in wall, connect to system via mini to optical cable, and jam. I use my ipod touch as remote via the Remote App. It sounds as good as the cd's. No dropouts or problems of any kind thus far. I'm all about Apple...as I type this on my 24in imac.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis