Anyone notice that 1080p looks so much better on a 4k tv?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I got my Shield TV so I could stream games from my pc to the big screen and audio system. You can install apps onto it, like pandora, spotify, netflix, etc. :) It has since become my go to hub when not watching something on cable. I just recently reripped my cd collection into FLAC and stored it on my shield for playback.

I still need to learn more about what I can do with it, I know there is a lot of functionality I'm not using. For example, it has plex built in, which I hear is an awesome thing...
Ahh... something I'll probably want but don't need.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ahh... something I'll probably want but don't need.
Maybe. Maybe not. I use my ShieldTV for everything. It is my only source. I have my DirecTV boxes hooked up to my server. I have an app on my ShieldTV that talks to the server and plays all of my recordings and live TV.

I use Plex/SPMC to play all of my ripped movies including blu-ray and some 4k with HDR.

Then I have all the streaming services I use on the device as well. I really don't need anything else.

Very wife friendly. Much more stable than my HTPCs ever were (granted, I was asking them to do A LOT).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not surprised. I just don't get why Samsung doesn't come to the party. I guess their QLED is cheaper to make.

I need to do more research on QLED because it sounds somewhat like it is a more advanced LCD which to me would mean that it will have the disadvantages of LED. Maybe not. I'll need to see one in person.
Yeah, from the very little that I have seen on QLED, it just looks like marketing to me. Even worse--I'm pretty sure they chose "Q" because is resembles an "O". Fools the average consumer.

I suspect that big Sammy just doesn't want to pay licensing fees to LG. Likely some other things at play too. Sammy does use very good OLED screens on their smart phones though.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, from the very little that I have seen on QLED, it just looks like marketing to me. Even worse--I'm pretty sure they chose "Q" because is resembles an "O". Fools the average consumer.

I suspect that big Sammy just doesn't want to pay licensing fees to LG. Likely some other things at play too. Sammy does use very good OLED screens on their smart phones though.
I would suspect the "Q" is for the quantum dots that they're using.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe. Maybe not. I use my ShieldTV for everything. It is my only source. I have my DirecTV boxes hooked up to my server. I have an app on my ShieldTV that talks to the server and plays all of my recordings and live TV.

I use Plex/SPMC to play all of my ripped movies including blu-ray and some 4k with HDR.

Then I have all the streaming services I use on the device as well. I really don't need anything else.

Very wife friendly. Much more stable than my HTPCs ever were (granted, I was asking them to do A LOT).
We're going to have to talk! lol

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Late to the party, and I didn't read from the beginning.

That said, if you're going from your old, say 2013 era plasma 1080p to a modern day 4k you can potentially see a lot of benefit, and it's clearly not from the resolution but other technology which has advanced.

AFAIK OLED is a very expensive product to make, and that cost is passed on to a consumer which isn't always looking for the worlds best reproduction, but the worlds best convenience. Most folks are streaming and watching most material on 720p.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis