Anyone looking for a project??

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Hey Everyone,

I really like the MB27 bookshelves that Swerd built from the PE cabs http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/diy-corner-tips-techniques/81354-building-your-first-diy-speaker-mb27.html.

I am looking at assembling an inexpensive system in my garage which is rather large and plan on using a receiver and bookshelves (literally have to be on a bookshelf). I have a very nice system in my basement but notice that I spend a lot of time in the garage hence the need for tunes!

Here's my dilema:

- I want to spend roughly $500
- Looking at used consumer models Focal 705V, Dali, Vienna Accoustics, etc. and I know that a DIY can sometimes model those for a fraction of the price
- I have absolutely no skills or tools when it comes to this stuff, I am more of a plug-n-play person. I did a Funkywaves Sub but all that was involved was connecting the wires and dropping the driver in and screwing it together - no Xover stuff/soldering/cutting etc. About the only thing I can build is my son's lego ships. I thought about buying the whole kit from PE - cabs and parts but after reading the reviews it sounds like it isn't the sound I'm looking for.

I primarily listen to 80's, hard rock, pop, rap, etc. I am looking for anything other than a laid back/polite sound. I have Paradigm Sig's in my basement and they are too laid back/polite - want something with a little more grip, bite, definition for the rock!

Is there anyone who would consider doing a project if your cost was right and then ship them to me - or maybe if interested in selling some that you already built, etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

annunaki

annunaki

Hey Jeff,

Where are you located? There may be strong DIY contingent in your area in which you could possibly enlist a local DIY'ers services.

Also, the point of doing it ones self is to save the money and eliminate many compromises a commercial speaker manufacturer deals with. Having someone else build the finished product for you may not get you exactly what you are after with your indicated budget. Mainly because, in DIY, a person does not charge themselves for their own time, whereas if you enlist someone else they will likely charge you.

Just something to think about...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Something else to think about is cost.

The parts list I posted shows the catalog prices for the MB27 parts. Total parts add up to about $490 for the curved cabinet as I built, and $442 for the rectangular cabinet which I would recommend because it will probably have more usable space inside for the crossover boards.

This does not include shipping from the various vendors to you or the builder. It also does not include shipping from the builder to you. Depending on the distances, shipping can add a lot. That could easily go beyond your $500 budget for speakers.

My parts list also does not include any charges for a builder's time. Don't underestimate that. How much above $500 are you willing to go?

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Hey Annunaki,

Thanks for the input. I live in Oshkosh, WI and I really don't know anyone that does this sorta thing and none of my friends are really into audio so I can't turn to them. Yeah, I figured someone would charge me to build it for me and depending on the amount I would be willing to pay them if it makes sense. I would buy the PE cabs, decent drivers, xovers, etc. - I would just need someone to cut the baffel and solder/mount the xover's.

I looked on all of the sites - murphyblaster, etc. and it is all foreign language to me - I really have no idea what they are talking about.

What I really wish was I knew someone that had the tools and knowledge to show me how to do some of this stuff so I could it myself in the future but I am at a loss on this one.

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Yeah, I realize $500 is probably a pretty low #, but like I said it's for a garage so I want to be as cost effective as possible due to the nature of a garage (dust, dirt, etc) but I want them to at least sound good.

I do need them to be sealed just b/c they will be on a shelf against the wall so porting I think would cause some bloating issues and every small good commercial bookshelf that I look at is rear ported. I would love to buy the Ascend Sierra 1's but they are rear ported - that's why I looked at the Focal's.

I would like it to stay under a grand - If I could a get a kick a$# bookshelf under I would be happier than 10 hippies!

That's sorta why I wondered if anyone that had a pair of DIY bookshelves that they wanted to sell to try a new project - wishful thinking probably on my part.

Thanks again for the input!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I do need them to be sealed just b/c they will be on a shelf against the wall so porting I think would cause some bloating issues and every small good commercial bookshelf that I look at is rear ported. I would love to buy the Ascend Sierra 1's but they are rear ported - that's why I looked at the Focal's.
The MB27 is a ported speaker. The port is located on the back of the cabinet behind the tweeter.

I didn't show a picture of that because cutting the 2" hole for the port is no different than cutting the holes in the front for the drivers. I bet you didn't remember that part. Maybe you didn't read it all and focused on the photos. I now wish I hadn't skipped a photo of the rear port :(.

It is possible to build a taller cabinet while keeping the front baffle 8" wide and reducing the depth to keep the volume at 0.38 ft³. Then you could mount the port in the front below the woofer.

I don't know of many small sealed 2-way speakers. NHT is the only brand I can think of. Look into them, they are decent.

http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-Speakers

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually........ I was thinking about selling my recently upgraded A/V-1s because I already have their replacements in my sights AND I was going to offer them under your budget :) The thread is here:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/diy-corner-tips-techniques/81492-v-1-rebuild-1-complete.html

They are not sealed though. GR does not offer this model sealed, but they do offer the larger model the A/V-2 sealed, but you'd have to get the cabinets and be able to get the front baffles made not unlike the MB27.

OR, I already have most of the parts to build a set of standard versions of the above speakers (no upgraded crossover, but all new components) for less than those, but they are not built yet; I have to order some new tweeters for them. We can talk some pricing if interested.

For the price, the NHT Classic line is sealed and I do like them, and they are in your price range as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis