Anyone know anything about vinyl??

J

johnniespaceboy

Audiophyte
Hey just wondering if anyone could help me out.... i have an old stereo, circa 1970's and early 80's probably..... im most likely sure i need a new needle for the record player but dont know what kind I need if anyone could help me out that would be great. The record player is a Pioneer PL-815. Thanks

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is it an all-in-one unit, or seperate components? If its a seperate turntable you're going to need a receiver or pre-amp with a phono input. But you'll probably get more turntable-specific knowledge in the hardware section

N

Nick diablo

Audiophyte
Twenty years ago, every hi-fi shop would have hundreds of types of stylus (needles), in stock.
I think they are hard to find nowadays. You could try emailing Pioneer , but I doubt they still supply them.
Maybe the arm in the record deck has a cartridge which could be replaced with a more modern one? For example, this Ortofon catridge which is one of the few models which are still made.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Your best bet, I'm thinking, is if the cartridge is removable, take that to a Hi-Fi component store and ask if they carry or can order them. Or even Radio Shack.

Or see if your needle is here and contact them.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Most Pioneer turntables used a standard headshell that could accomodate just about any make of phono cartridge. Your headshell is most likely removable, simply twist the collar behind the headshell and the entire assembly comes off. You can take the shell to any audio store that handles phono cartridges and have them install a new stylus or completely new cartridge/stylus. (At least that is how my Pioneer PL-540 is designed) You can also order a new phono cartridge by mail order and install it yourself.

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
Shadow Ferret,

Thanks for the link. I have a vintage Dual 1264 turntable and I was starting to get concerned where to get belts and needles. I did not know this place eixsted. I appreciate.

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis